The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
As much as I appreciate seperating fan stuff like the Vulcan-Romulan story and putting it into Countdown, the comics have some problems.

For me Nero is only slightly better than Shinzon. Why would a guy who trusts a Vulcan mistrust him shortly later? Why would a guy who does not work in the military but as miner go not merely on a revenge mission for the Empire but also unleash havoc upon anyone in his neighbourhood, be it the Federation or Klingons?

He has the same motivation as Annorax, the villain from VOY's "Year of Hell", a dead family, but unlike Annorax he is just a bad guy, while the former is a tragic character whom you can empathize with and detest for his ongoing slaughtering at the same time.
In Countdown, nada. Just an unexplained and quick change from Spock's friend to Spock's archenemy.
That is what I mean, Anorrax was a Trek character that made you feel for him, he was tragic. This movie did NOTHING like that. It didn't "feel" like Trek to me.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah just like they left the Borg name out of the film so they wouldn't have to explain all that and get into the details.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Federation Councillor

Obviously I've not seen it yet, but I never felt Annorax was a tragic character at all. Nor did I feel for him. If Nero is of the same ilk I may not feel for him either.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Yeah just like they left the Borg name out of the film so they wouldn't have to explain all that and get into the details.
Spock didn't even BOTHER to point out Nero was in possession of advanced technology even for his time. He could have said Nero gained technology of unknown origin and killed many people ion his timeline before being sucked into the past. This movie had lots of potential, but JJ kept it "dumbed down". That was my biggest worry and sadly it came true, for me.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Built by LaForge as a prototype - commissioned on Vulcan.
He knew him as Nero, but later he called himself "Nero, the avenger" (or something similar).

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Spock didn't even BOTHER to point out Nero was in possession of advanced technology even for his time. He could have said Nero gained technology of unknown origin and killed many people ion his timeline before being sucked into the past. This movie had lots of potential, but JJ kept it "dumbed down". That was my biggest worry and sadly it came true, for me.

That's kinda strong!
Do you think it was another Nemesis?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
That's kinda strong!
Do you think it was another Nemesis?
No, I actually liked Nemesis. Nemesis, although slow paced at first, and supposedly poorly written, felt like "Trek" to me. I have learned something about myself after watching this new movie. I LIKE the "nerdy" aspects of Trek. I like the thoughtful and moral aspects of Trek. I didn't get that from this flick. And dammmit, I like technobabble!!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

LOL

I like that..."I'm Mr.Q1701 and I'm a Trekkie"

Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

One thought: of course a new movie is not going to "feel like coming home"... because it's brand new.

It's not entirely fair to judge a movie on one day's worth of reaction compared to ten other films and a few TV series we've lived with for four decades now. Look how long we've all had to feel about existing TREK as we already do. Those feeling and reactions have been hardwired into our brains as our understanding of TREK -- taking the parts we like, leaving those we don't.

This movie, by its current nature, will take time to make its impact felt, and how one feels about it a month or a year from now may not at all be the same as it feels today.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
One thought: of course a new movie is not going to "feel like coming home"... because it's brand new.

It's not entirely fair to judge a movie on one day's worth of reaction compared to ten other films and a few TV series we've lived with for four decades now. Look how long we've all had to feel about existing TREK as we already do. Those feeling and reactions have been hardwired into our brains as our understanding of TREK -- taking the parts we like, leaving those we don't.

This movie, by its current nature, will take time to make its impact felt, and how one feels about it a month or a year from now may not at all be the same as it feels today.
How did you feel about the film Mission?

courtesy of Saquist