The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

yeah. I'm not saying ONLY, just saying largely.
Ideally the engineering staff would have some sort of temporary quarters in the area so under extended situations the need to travel back and forth is limited.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailing Frequency Zach View Post
...Sulu gets an excellent sword fight with some kind of Katana, prior to that, they space jumped onto a platform which was scary! (Chief Engineer Olsen dies because he deploys his chute too late)....

Again, this movie was amzing and I cant wait for Star Trek XII!!
Saw it last night, my local theater had a sneak preview, When Chief Engineer Olsen is preparing to jump from the shuttle...everyone knew he was toast....why? he was not known, he was wearing a red suit, he was too cocky for the mission.....all adds up to "dead extra number #49"

Aside from that...I really like the way "Star Trek" has just gone where no director has ever gone before....it is familiar, yet new all at once in classic Star Trek style.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Midshipman

Default my review of the movie......

If you havent seen the movie dont read this (u NEED to go see it)

My names jason and ive been monitering this forum for a year and a half now waiting for this movie. I will first start with the cons; or con actually; i liked the idea of romulans battling star fleet i just thought that the whole time traval, red matter big powerfull ship was a little out there. I wish they would have gone with more of a simple villan idea. That being said it was almost neccisary in order to get jj abram's idea across that we have a new timeline. Here are my pros

The thing that i was most critical with how how the story was going to be told....for me its the most inmortant part of a trek movie. Star Trek had a very good story line that was very easy to follow. The hook with george kirks death was awesome.... the action sequences were excelent and i thought well spread out. i loved the addition of leanard nimoy, it really helped the trasistion from old star trek actors to the new ones. I really want to keep this short so i will finish by saying that i thought this blew away all the next generation movies and i cant wait for next one! Keep em comin! If anybody has any questions feel free to post! thanks everyone
Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
Anyone. Does the Enterprise score direct hits on the Narada with her phasers or photon torpedos or is it just those missile they are firing at coming at them and is Pike giving the orders to fire on her?
See, THAT is part of my complaint. You can't answer this question because none of it was clear, it was just "pew, pew, pew"!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
When Nero says in the trailer "Fire Everything!!" which ship is he firing at? Also do we see any shield effects?
He was firing on the "Jellyfish".
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

We do see some limited shield effect from Enterprise
The Kelvin had shields but to little effect.

That's appropriate to the period.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Vice Admiral

I have TWO more nit-picks. Even with the same writers writing Countdown, they couldn't keep everything together. There are TWO inconsistencies that bugged me. One, Spock implied he didn't meet Nero until AFTER coming through the black hole. Maybe it's just me, but when he said "he called himself Nero" that made it seem like he had no previous knowledge of Nero. Also, I thought the "Jellyfish", which was never named in the movie, was designed by Geordi. If it was, does he work for the Vulcan Science Directorate (or whatever Vulcan entity that was said to have built it)? I mean, Spock could have easily said it was designed by a Starfleet engineer or for by starfleet in order to study stars, whatever, why MUST the entire movie be about Vulcan?

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-08-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I have TWO more nit-picks. Even with the same writers writing Countdown, they couldn't keep everything together. There are TWO inconsistencies that bugged me. One, Spock implied he didn't meet Nero until AFTER coming through the black hole. Maybe it's just me, but when he said "he called himself Nero" that made it seem like he had no previous knowledge of Nero. Also, I thought the "Jellyfish", which was never named in the movie, was designed by Geordi. If it was, does he work for the Vulcan Science Directorate (or whatever Vulcan entity that was said to have built it)? I mean, Spock could have easily said it was designed by a Starfleet engineer or for by starfleet in order to study stars, whatever, why MUST the entire movie be about Vulcan?

Yeah I noticed that too, a ship commissioned by the Vulcans..... sigh. When in countdown it was designed By La forge.

Also the whole Spock didn't know who Nero was.... when they met in countdown on the Romulus and traveled to Vulcan with one another.

Is it that hard to keep a bit of consistency between the prequel and the actually movie.

Finally... My say on the Enterprise...

I guess the TV ads were right... This is not my Star Trek.... I just don't like the new Enterprise... to many lights... way to many. Not the mention the hot rod fins that rise up during warp, separated by 4 lights and glow really weird.... also did the torpedo launcher look like it was spinning while firing? I guess we just didn't see enough of her to get a really good look at her. The presentation of the Enterprise wasn't really all that great.. she had like 20 seconds on camera when Kirk see and McCoy see her in space....

The movie was great, just was not sold on the new design of the Enterprise.......

Thanks for reading...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I have TWO more nit-picks. Even with the same writers writing Countdown, they couldn't keep everything together. There are TWO inconsistencies that bugged me. One, Spock implied he didn't meet Nero until AFTER coming through the black hole. Maybe it's just me, butt when he said "he called himself Nero" that made it seem like he had no previous knowledge of Nero. Also, I thought the "Jellyfish", which was never named in the movie, was designed by Geordi. If it was, does he work for the Vulcan Science Directorate (or whatever Vulcan entity that was said to have built it)? I mean, Spock could have easily said it was designed by a Starfleet engineer or for by starfleet in order to study stars, whatever, why MUST the entire movie be about Vulcan?
As much as I appreciate seperating fan stuff like the Vulcan-Romulan story and putting it into Countdown, the comics have some problems.

For me Nero is only slightly better than Shinzon. Why would a guy who trusts a Vulcan mistrust him shortly later? Why would a guy who does not work in the military but as miner go not merely on a revenge mission for the Empire but also unleash havoc upon anyone in his neighbourhood, be it the Federation or Klingons?

He has the same motivation as Annorax, the villain from VOY's "Year of Hell", a dead family, but unlike Annorax he is just a bad guy, while the former is a tragic character whom you can empathize with and detest for his ongoing slaughtering at the same time.
In Countdown, nada. Just an unexplained and quick change from Spock's friend to Spock's archenemy.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmajere View Post
Yeah I noticed that too, a ship commissioned by the Vulcans..... sigh. When in countdown it was designed By La forge.
Commisioned by Vulcans doesn't mean he didn't design it at their request. I would have left his name out to avoid confusion for the audience with TNG. TNG isn't relevant to this film. So it's not a contradiction, more a different way of looking at it.

courtesy of Saquist