The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 AM
Vice Admiral

I must add that the movie was good, just NOT a good Trek movie, not for me. Part of what I liked about watching the other movies was that it felt like coming home. This movie did NOT feel like coming home. It felt like going inside a home you THOUGHT was your home, then when you are about to crawl into bed you realize this isn't your bed and then someone else pops out and pulls a shotgun on you!!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Midshipman

I agree with almost Everything u said MrQ17021.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Ensign

I watched the movie last evening, i was so surprised how good it turned out. J.J. Abrams himself has said he was not a Star Trek fan but made a film that can satisfy non Star Trek fans. He is very creative. I love the direction where Star Trek is heading, it is both a reboot and a sequel. The new aliens like the Zora like creature (The Legend of Zelda Nintendo), with dark brown skin in the academy. The Long head alien sitting beside Uhura in the Iwoa bar, the Alien pilot and the woman with big eyes from the USS Kevin are very cool.

What i love alot about this movie is that it felt refreshing and thrilling at the same time. I am glad Rick Berman was not involved this film. Although he did very well with Next Generation and Ds9, i did not like Enterprise. Voyger had a good start until they added Tuvok onto the Uss Excelsior. Star Trek was almost dead for the last seven years.

Hopefully someday, they will make a another Next Generation film.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:14 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptArthron View Post
I was looking forward to this movie for months, and as much as i wanted to enjoy it, in the end i just couldn't get past parts of the story.

Spoilers?
But, that's the thing, they didn't "undo" anything! That universe still continues to exist. Don't get me wrong, I'm still in shock over that happening, but it doesn't ruin anything for me as far as Established Trek goes.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Where do I begin? This is hard to articulate right now. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, a fast paced space action adventure with enough comedy to lighten the mood. It was also a nice story about how some characters got to know each other better through a shared emergency situation. I am having difficulty calling this movie Star Trek. I KNOW it is Star Trek, and parts of it felt that way, but the vast majority of it did NOT "feel" like Star Trek, not to me. Maybe after waiting for so long my expectations were too high? I don't know. I'll try to break it down a bit.

First, what I liked. I liked the dialogue. I liked the new way the film was shot and the "feel" of the gritty universe. I like the the New Enterprise and even the bridge wasn't too bad. The action was good and the sound effects were awesome. The story was okay.

Here is what I didn't like and some of my nit-picks. I didn't like the fact that nearly 99% of everything was changed from the already established Trek universe. I don't see how the new viewscreen, new phaser, new transporter effects, etc... really seperate this new movie from the rest of the Trek movies. I mean, only us fans will really notice the difference. It's NOT like non-fans avoid watching Trek movies because they can't stand the beeps and blips or the way technology os portrayed. So changinf EVERYTHING was unnecassary and only served to remind fans like me that this really ISN'T the same Trek. While the new ship design was cool, the new warp effects bugged the heck out of me. It was TOO much like ships going into hyperspace in Star Wars. The "BOOOOM" going to warp and "BOOOM" coming out of warp. I also found it funny, not in a good way, that they counted down when waiting to exit warp. What? They can't just say "drop out of warp"? It seemed like they programed in a flight path and then were forced to see it through... "we're going to drop out of warp in 5,4,3...."!! Please, that was lame. The new hand phasers reminded me of pea shooters, "pew, pew, pew", they sucked. The ship phasers were kind of cool, but I couldn't tell if any photon torpedos were ever launched, they all looked the same. That is another nit pick of mine, why did they have to change those too? Why must photon torpedos look like artillery rounds, and not the larger ones we are used to? So how many "cores" did the ship have? I didn't see a warp core, not one we would recognize, were those big silver things multiple warp cores? Another aspect to Trek that serves NO purpose to change, other than to alieanate fans. Almost ALL of these kinds of things bugged me. My significant other, who is NOT a fan, even said this movie was NOT Star Trek!!

Okay, okay... I liked the rebelious side of Spock. I enjoyed the scenes he had with his father. I enjoyed most of the character interactions. The characters were written well and felt like the characters I already knew, except for Scotty. While Scotty was funny, and I enjoyed that, he was not anything like the miracle worker from times past.

The whole story did have a contrived feel to it. Everything did NOT make sense, even for a sci-fi movie. You have the flag ship of a massive federation of planets, and all the cadets or recent grads are BETTER than the officers already posted?? okay, Bones got the position because the CMO was killed, but then he kept the position after everything was concluded? The only aspect of the movie I thought was sort of realistic was that Kirk was NOT given an award for his cheating on the Kobiyashi Maru test, he was "grounded". I had to suspend ALL disbelief in order to enjoy this action space sci-fi movie. But that's all it was, sadly.
Intresting.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Captain

Cool sb63's Official Review (SPOILERS)

And the verdict is...I liked it. Quite a bit, actually.

For a change, and I believe for the first time since STV:TFF, a Star Trek movie opens with a teaser, and with a bang. Fast paced and somewhat emotional, we see the beginning of the new reality as George Kirk becomes a hero and the birth of James T. Kirk, future Starfleet legend.

Liked how we didn't have to sit through long opening credits to get back to the action.

Spock mentions the possibility of going for the kolinahr ritual...a nod to ST:TMP.

Guess the Federations met the Cardassians a lot earlier in the new timeline, since Uhura orders a Cardassian Sunrise at the bar by the shipyards...

Notice that an "Admiral James Komack" sits on the Command Council...a nod to TOS...

As I thought, there is a shuttle named "Moore"...a hello from Star Trek to RDM?

Light flare...ugh. Annoying. Even in the shuttle with Captain Pike and in the cave on Delta Vega.

Spock quotes Sherlock Holmes...a nod to STVI:TUC.

Only dumb scene in my book? Scotty in the water pipes. Just how big is the new Enterprise anyway? On that note? Yeah, the ship looks HUGE on screen, the CGI was top notch, but I still think it's butt-ugly.

Is it just me or does Kirk get beat up a LOT in this movie?

Also, we find Sarek in the new timeline is much more understanding in the new timeline than his earlier incarnation...and more willing to express his feelings to his son when the time warranted it. If Amanda was killed just to set up the scene between Kirk and Spock, I question it's need. Kirk could have found other ways to antagonize Spock.

The mind meld by the way was a good way to give the quick recap for those who hadn't read Countdown...no one can have any doubt that this is a whole new and separate Star Trek.

And the scene between the two Spocks was both unexpected and priceless. I'd seen the still of that scene but thought the older Vulcan was Sarek.

Interesting that in this new reality, both Kirk and Spock know and understand that this is not the first time around for their lives...that they are in an alternate reality. Will be something to explore in the future. Kirk learning from Old Spock that his father hadn't died before had a visible effect on him. Just as Amanda's death had an effect on Old Spock.

Some of what Spock mentions about the real timeline still leaves open the possibilities of what we know and think we know about the past of the "real" timeline may still be seen someday, at least it is acknowledged that what we see in the movie isn't necessarily how things happened in the "real" timeline.

Overall, a good story, well played. Nero was a little weird at times, but being the Bad Guy he gets a pass on it...and of course, we have no guarantee that Nero won't be back at some point in the future...we see the Narada breaking up...but who knows...

Best one in his part is Quinto. He's got it. He seems to understand Spock and his inner turmoils. The romance with Uhura? Not sold on it, but I don't condemn it either. There was always a mutual respect between the two in TOS, this just takes it a little further. Next best is, surprisingly, Urban. He has the McCoy vibe, even if he doesn't look like McCoy.

I really did miss seeing at least Number One on Pike's Enterprise...they could have worked her in somewhere.

Pine is good at Kirk but I think he'll get better. He needs to grow into the part a little more in my view, but he in no way failed. I just didn't like finding out we were right and Kirk is basically promoted from a Midshipman to a Starship Captain...and I'm assuming that Kirk is only 29 if there's still a 12 year age difference between Kirk and Chekov. Which means the Enterprise was built five years later and Kirk took command three years earlier in the new timeline.

Pike in the wheelchair and in a grey and white uniform were both tips to "The Menagerie" and ST:TMP. I'm hoping that Pike will be a recurring character in future movies.

Only actor who didn't do it for me was Pegg. Sorry gang, his Scotty was a bit of a letdown. I didn't dislike him, but I thought I'd have liked him more. And the sidekick thing was a tad hokey, but I could live with it.

Funny to see Hikaru Sulu, ace helmsman and future Starship Captain, on his first mission would basically forget to take the parking brake off before going to warp...

The last credit was the best: "In Memory of gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett Roddenberry."

One thing was curious...the movie's copyight was neither by CBS nor Paramount...it was © 2009 MavroCine Pictures...is that some kind of third party working on both CBS and Paramount's behalf?

The theatre was barely half full for the 7pm show...mostly male audience, two women, both with guys, and my daughter, who said "I think I'm the only girl here..." there was a smattering of applause at the end when the credits rolled.

Just prior to the movie, there was a PSA for people to shut off their cell phones...which starred Dominic Keating as an agent representing a chimpanzee actor...

All in all folks, if you want me to eat crow, I liked it and yes, I'd see it again. This movie gets my stamp of approval, and JJ didn't have to pay me for that endorsement. It's not better than STII or STVI in my opinion, but it is a worthy entry.

And even better? My 12 year old Warsie said she liked it too and would see it again.

Maybe there's real hope for Star Trek after all...
Old 05-08-2009, 05:32 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's funny my date said Kirk seemed to be on the deck a lot.
The movie did answer how big the Enterprise was and it does seem the propper size where we see the shuttle land in the shuttle bay they take up quite a bit of room.
This is no 800m beastie...

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 AM
Captain

Cool

The engineering sections just seem too huge for there to be much else in the secondary hull...unless there's no crew quarters down below...maybe they took the bowling alley out too...
Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Lieutenant

Anyone. Does the Enterprise score direct hits on the Narada with her phasers or photon torpedos or is it just those missile they are firing at coming at them and is Pike giving the orders to fire on her? When Nero says in the trailer "Fire Everything!!" which ship is he firing at? Also do we see any shield effects?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Commander

Last night my sister and I noted that Kirk got his a** kicked quite a bit. LOL It's amazing his bones are even slightly intact at the rate he's going.

Surprisingly, I thought my favorite character would be Spock (you guys know how much of a Zach Quinto fangirl I am) but as I said before, it took me a little bit to get used to his Spock, whereas I completely fell in love with Kirk right from the start. For me, he was absolutely ACE. His cockiness was so endearing! Chris Pine absolutely nailed it in my book.

I think it helps too that the more interviews with the cast that I watch, the more I like Chris Pine the best out of all of them. His personality really shines through in his portrayal of Kirk and he seems to have a wonderful, bright personality that's so full of energy!

Uh oh, am I turning into a Chris Pine fangirl too?!