The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmajere View Post
yeah each time she warped, the fins kinda raised up and divided by 4 white lights
I think I was too busy having geekgasms over how pretty the ship was/sounded, which is probably why I missed it.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Midshipman

Default Andorians & Tellarites

One of the only things I really would have liked to see is more Andorians and Tellarites as it would have been appropriate in this time in history. Those two with the Vulcans were the founding members of the Federation and it would have been great to see more of those races rather then "new ones" like that medic/doc on the Kelvin and Scotty's buddy. In fact I didn't even see a single one of them.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Loved it.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Ensign

geekgasms -- I love it. I was having multiples in the Kobyashi simulator scene -- Chris Pine was so funny I was actually high. That scene'd be funny to anybody, but to a hardcore trekkie ... we all know the story from Wrath of Khan but to see it with your own eyes, I was in geek heaven.

I thought Nero was a weak villain. I could accept him more if he wasn't Romulan, but Romulans don't act like that. Why blame Ambassador Spock? The Romulans know Spock from reunification. It's like Russia blaming Ghandi for Chernobyl--makes no sense. And Romulans don't commit genocide. They're vicious and aggressive, but they do have some class. In Nemesis, Shinzon went too far and the Romulan fleet turned against him. Nero is just a petty, vengeful idiot, and I can't see him rising to command a Romulan starship.

Spock has had his troubles with command, but not out of wimpery. He has trouble commanding illogical humans and he doesn't like to fire weapons, but Spock wouldn't decide 'let's sit around waiting for orders from Starfleet' while this nut Nero runs off to target Earth with Red Matter. They could have done Spock a little better justice, not such a washout as captain.

Most of the canon glitches had a payoff -- like it's clear from 'Khan' that Spock didn't program the Kobyashi simulation -- but it's worth a little discontinuity to get that showdown between Spock and Kirk.

Anyway, those are just tidbits. I was in geek heaven from start to end. Most of all, I'm happily surprised at how damn excellent it was. It's a good day to be hardcore.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
I thought Nero was a weak villain. I could accept him more if he wasn't Romulan, but Romulans don't act like that. Why blame Ambassador Spock? The Romulans know Spock from reunification. It's like Russia blaming Ghandi for Chernobyl--makes no sense. And Romulans don't commit genocide. They're vicious and aggressive, but they do have some class. In Nemesis, Shinzon went too far and the Romulan fleet turned against him. Nero is just a petty, vengeful idiot, and I can't see him rising to command a Romulan starship.
He blamed Spock because Spock had the technology to stop the calamity the destroyed Romulus, and promised to do so - but was too late getting there. The fate of Romulus had depended on one Vulcan's promise, and that Vulcan wasn't able to deliver. Thanks to its dependence on one lone Federation scientist, the homeworlds of the Romulan Empire died, taking Nero's wife with them. As for "Romulans don't commit genocide"... every species is made up of billions of diverse individuals, Nero and crew included. You're always gonna get a desperate few who can be driven to desperate, mad measures.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Midshipman

Hello all long time no see. Been very busy. Had my 3rd baby.
Anyhow. I sped to the theater this evening when I got off work at 1030PM and watched the 11PM final show of the new Star Trek film. I freaking loved it.
I am extremely impressed with it. This film is all about paradoxes and how the timeline is changed when Nero went back in time.

Kirk was raised without his father while in Spocks universe his father is at James Kirks graduation. I wonder if a future film is going to be made or a story is going to be written where the timeline is repaired by perhaps Spock going back to the future and saving Romulus thus keeping Nero from going nuts and killing everyone.

I loved the more realistic ships and much more believable engine room. The bridge was much more believable as well.

What really bothers me about Star Trek and all the movies and TV episodes all of them. All the different franchises had this same problem and I'll tell you what it is. It's 2230 something and the freaking doors are loud as hell. Why can't they figure out how to make a silent door in the future. If doors are going to be that loud in the future I suggest that they just stick to hinged doors that are pushed and pulled manually. At least manual doors are quiet.
Thats gotta get annoying for the crew to work hours on end to have to deal with that irritating hydrolic swish and swoosh of the doors throughout the day.
Great movie. This movie and story line pretty much reinvents Star Trek as we knew it.
I didn't like or get the cop and why he was wearing a mask with a speaker in it. I think cops in the future will be alot like they are now.
So those are my only gripes with this excellent movie.

So what lays in the future? Can we expect to see a new Star Trek movie ever two years or so like we used to get? Will there be a new spin off TV series?That would be great.
The Star Trek phenomenon has a great and hopefully lengthy future ahead for us and future new fans.
Live long and prosper and as Spock said Good Luck.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
Spock has had his troubles with command, but not out of wimpery. He has trouble commanding illogical humans and he doesn't like to fire weapons, but Spock wouldn't decide 'let's sit around waiting for orders from Starfleet' while this nut Nero runs off to target Earth with Red Matter. They could have done Spock a little better justice, not such a washout as captain.

Well Spock was suffering. He just saw his mother murdered before him as she fell to her death. He was half human devoted to his human mother evidenced by his willingness to fight the bullies at school that dared say anything about her. His love for her and his human half drove him to not accept his appointment to the Vulcan Science Academy because of what the Vulcan leaders told him.
He lost his home and his mother and was extremely emotionally unstable again as evidenced when Kirk mentioned his newly dead mother. Spock couldn't think straight because his mind was clouded with emotion. By regrouping with Star Fleet he was looking for leadership and clear thinking from others that is why he wanted to regroup with the fleet. Very logical. He just didn't want to admit his emotions were bothering him. In fact he talked to his father and admitted his problem and I was touched by his father admitting that he had married his mother because he loved her. A very UnVulcan emotion as Vulcans usually get arranged marriages.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Midshipman

J.J. Abrams you sir are King. I am so glad we finally had a director that is an admitted Star Trek fan make a Star Trek Movie. It really shows what to expect from a Director that is a Star Trek Fan. He is one of us. A normal person because non Star Trek fans are just plain weird.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 AM
Midshipman

Well I'm not really a dedicated fan of Star Trek. I never watched the original series watched maybe about half of TNG and only bits and and bobs of DS9 and Voyager. Anyway that being said I loved this movie and didn't feel it contradicted in any way that mattered the fundamental nature of Star Trek.

I have only a few complaints but I suppose most of them can be forgiven as this movie being almost entirely set up for a TV series/sequals:
~ the movie went by way too fast but there was too much information for them to give us anything but the bare bones of what happened
~ Kirk was insanely lucky always ending up right where he needed to be and knowing just what he needed to know
~ Everybody ended up just where they were during TOS remarkably quickly despite them being fresh out of the Academy. The only person for whom this made sense was Spock and the person for whom it made least sense was Kirk. Of course it would be foolish of them to end the movie with more set up being needed for the begining of the sequal or TV series
~ Uhura/Spock was acceptable to me but the transporter room scene was stupid. Even humans know when public displays of affection are innapropriate what more Vulcans

Last edited by Calhoun : 05-08-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Vice Admiral

Where do I begin? This is hard to articulate right now. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, a fast paced space action adventure with enough comedy to lighten the mood. It was also a nice story about how some characters got to know each other better through a shared emergency situation. I am having difficulty calling this movie Star Trek. I KNOW it is Star Trek, and parts of it felt that way, but the vast majority of it did NOT "feel" like Star Trek, not to me. Maybe after waiting for so long my expectations were too high? I don't know. I'll try to break it down a bit.

First, what I liked. I liked the dialogue. I liked the new way the film was shot and the "feel" of the gritty universe. I like the the New Enterprise and even the bridge wasn't too bad. The action was good and the sound effects were awesome. The story was okay.

Here is what I didn't like and some of my nit-picks. I didn't like the fact that nearly 99% of everything was changed from the already established Trek universe. I don't see how the new viewscreen, new phaser, new transporter effects, etc... really seperate this new movie from the rest of the Trek movies. I mean, only us fans will really notice the difference. It's NOT like non-fans avoid watching Trek movies because they can't stand the beeps and blips or the way technology os portrayed. So changinf EVERYTHING was unnecassary and only served to remind fans like me that this really ISN'T the same Trek. While the new ship design was cool, the new warp effects bugged the heck out of me. It was TOO much like ships going into hyperspace in Star Wars. The "BOOOOM" going to warp and "BOOOM" coming out of warp. I also found it funny, not in a good way, that they counted down when waiting to exit warp. What? They can't just say "drop out of warp"? It seemed like they programed in a flight path and then were forced to see it through... "we're going to drop out of warp in 5,4,3...."!! Please, that was lame. The new hand phasers reminded me of pea shooters, "pew, pew, pew", they sucked. The ship phasers were kind of cool, but I couldn't tell if any photon torpedos were ever launched, they all looked the same. That is another nit pick of mine, why did they have to change those too? Why must photon torpedos look like artillery rounds, and not the larger ones we are used to? So how many "cores" did the ship have? I didn't see a warp core, not one we would recognize, were those big silver things multiple warp cores? Another aspect to Trek that serves NO purpose to change, other than to alieanate fans. Almost ALL of these kinds of things bugged me. My significant other, who is NOT a fan, even said this movie was NOT Star Trek!!

Okay, okay... I liked the rebelious side of Spock. I enjoyed the scenes he had with his father. I enjoyed most of the character interactions. The characters were written well and felt like the characters I already knew, except for Scotty. While Scotty was funny, and I enjoyed that, he was not anything like the miracle worker from times past.

The whole story did have a contrived feel to it. Everything did NOT make sense, even for a sci-fi movie. You have the flag ship of a massive federation of planets, and all the cadets or recent grads are BETTER than the officers already posted?? okay, Bones got the position because the CMO was killed, but then he kept the position after everything was concluded? The only aspect of the movie I thought was sort of realistic was that Kirk was NOT given an award for his cheating on the Kobiyashi Maru test, he was "grounded". I had to suspend ALL disbelief in order to enjoy this action space sci-fi movie. But that's all it was, sadly.