The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

In short, good movie, great actors yet thematically thin.

Even with Countdown taken into account, Nero is only slightly better than Shinzon as villain, which is more a script issue than Bana's fault.
Although the story demanded that Sarek is more sympathic towards Spock and his decision to join Starfleet, he as well as the too short youth of Kirk were among the few disappointments of the movie.
Like any other main character actor, Pine played terrifically but the anticipated change from the rebel to the more reasonable Kirk ready for the big chair misses.
Visually extremely compelling, a beautiful new Enterprise and for the first time in Trek and a 'shiny bridge, lower decks' approach which worked for me.
Interesting shift from Chekov to Scotty as the comic relief character.
The "next generation" cast is perfectly convincing which is the single most important reason to look forward to cinema Trek in the next decade
Old 05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Ensign

Star Trek Review
by Spartan128

May 7 2009.

Star Trek, it is both sequel and a reboot. A vengeful Romulan named Nero who come from 128 years from the future (Next Generation some time after Nemesis) is after the Federation and planet Vulcan. If you have read the Countdown series comic, it gives you more background information on the antagonist, Nero who was once a sympathetic man and a miner.

Australian actor Eric Bana, did a great job portraying this character, Nero is not Khan, but better than Shinzon. He blames the Vulcan council for not sharing the secrets of Vulcan science technology to the Romulans and holds Spock Prime responsible for not assisting him to save his home world planet, Romulus from destruction. The Movie is all about how the Enterprise crew meet.

The best part of the film is the opening, the introduction to the USS Kevin. From the Bridge crew radio chatter, the beeping sound from the bridge computer and the copit view, feels very realistic. The decks have a lot of pipelines, when the Narada came through a portal (the Rumulan mining ship) and attacked the Kevin, we can see a crew mate got blowned out of space. It was thrilling and emotional, especially when the crew witness the death of Captain Robau on the sensor screen and George Kirk sacrificed his life to save his family by crashing the ship into
the Narada.

Another sad moment is when Vulcan got destroyed, young Spock played by Zachary Quinto, lost his mother. Spock was raised in a society that reject emotions,
and had always a hard time making choices. He is also romantically in love with Uhura, the Enterpise chief communications officer. Young Spock did not get along well with James T.Kirk as they often argue alot, but later on in the movie he gains his trust and worked together to stop Nero vengeful plan to destroy Earth.

The casting is excellent, Chris Pine looks nothing like William Shanter (the original Kirk) but he made his character very believable. Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Ben Cross and Bruce Greenwood have all performed well. Simon Pegg acting wasn't bad at all but i think he should get more time to practice.

Special Effects. The New Warp effect looks a lot like Star Ship Troopers, and as always, Star Trek will have the best space ship designs. The New Enterprise is a hybrid of the original and refit. In action, it is fast, sleek and sexy. This is the best Trek movie ever. It is not the best summer movie, but you will have a lot of fun watching it.

The Movie
8.4 out of 10

Star Trek is reborn, this is both sequel and a reboot.
You will not be disappointed.

Sound
9 out 10

The Music is composed by Michael Giacchino. He has done a wonderful job
using Alexander Courage theme.

Graphics

Outstanding, the CGI on the Star Ships and the
space battle scenes is top notch.

Acting

Excellent cast, my only complaint is Simon Pegg, needs more pratice.

Last edited by spartan128 : 05-08-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Ensign

Great Movie, anyone notice the fins on the nacelle when the enterprise went to warp? They seemed to raise up out of the nacelle, and light up....
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Ensign

I watched it today. Its very good.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Ensign

The Movie feels so "refreshing", its like i wish it did not end. At the same time, it looks realistic. I LOVE THE ORION CHICK. Kirk is a peeping tom. :-) *Like me*
Old 05-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmajere View Post
Great Movie, anyone notice the fins on the nacelle when the enterprise went to warp? They seemed to raise up out of the nacelle, and light up....
I missed that! I'll watch for it tomorrow. Does that happen each time it goes to warp?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Does that happen each time it goes to warp?
Yep. She's fast.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan128 View Post
Yep. She's fast.
OK, if I can remember I'll watch for it. There was just so much going on in each scene, it was actually hard to keep track of at times. I don't mind that, though. I liked the fast pace.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Ensign

yeah each time she warped, the fins kinda raised up and divided by 4 white lights
Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Just watched the movie and loved it! Could nitpick a few things but overall a very good movie. And yes it is an alternate timeline so canon in the prime universe is unafected.