The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Midshipman

Default Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk

Good Morning All,

I saw Star Trek XI last night (May 6th) at 8pm - yes thats right, they showed it a whole day early here - and this is my review.

No Spoilers In this Bit

In short - this movie is everything that people are saying it is - Brilliant, Great, Funny, Serious, Sad, Happy, well Cast, with great special effects, great music, a great storyline and great acting.

There were moments in the movie that had the whole cinema almost crying, other moments that had people roaring with laughter and other moments where it was deadly quiet as something serious happened.

Everyone should see this movie - even if they have some conception that its going to be an abomination. Sure, some people might not like it, but I tell you something, there were 2200 people in that cinema with me last night (they showed it on 3 screens), the place was packed full, and afterwards I heard people saying in both English and the Local Language how great it was.

Even my Girlfriend, who anticipated that she would HATE the movie (she thinks Star Trek is for Geeks, the usual) - said afterwards that it was great, highly entertaining, and that she can't wait for the sequel.

In the First Ten Minutes of the movie, there is a sequence with the USS Kelvin and I have to admit to panicing a little bit at first when I saw some shots of the Interiors, however this feeling quickly passed as I got caught in the storyline and after a few minutes, I had gotten used to it. There are some fairly radical changes, but it feels believeable and its worth noting that the Kelvin is a full 30 years older than the Enterprise.

The Movie Feels 80% like the Star Trek we all grew up with and maybe 20% of revamped or altered things. Original Sound Effects are kept for the most part or changed just a little and everything just looks and feels great - Even the Bridge of the Enterprise.

One final thing i will say....Star Trek has had no advertising whatsoever here in Serbia, nothing, yet that cinema room filled up fast. The capacity was around 1000 seats and it was full and that was just in my screen (the showed it on 3 as I said before). If it can be like that here where there has been no advertising, i can only imagine what it will be like tomorrow across the UK and USA and everywhere else when it opens at 8pm.

All in all - 10 out of 10 - Can't wait for the sequel!

Spoilers

Memorable moments:

Sulu forgetting to take of the "Parking Break" before they jumped to warp - DOH!

Mccoy - "I've got nothing left, my ex-wife took the whole damn planet in our divorce!"

Scottys reference to Admiral Archers Beagle! ( I bet he was pissseeeddd )

Checkov trying to get the computer to recognise his "v"s in his authorisation code - wiktor wiktor ahahahahaha!

Vulcan (you will know what i mean when you watch)

Spock and Uhura - this was certainly and eye raiser

Spock kicking Kirks a*s on the Bridge of the Enterprise.

New Spock and Old Spock meeting for the first time.

The sexy green Orion girl at the academy. (yeah yeah I got a thing for green aliens - sue me!)

Leonard Nimoy's "Space, The Final Frontier" Rendition at the end.

The one and only moment of the movie i thought was corny was the Nokia phone in young Kirk's car.....Puh-lease.

Seeing all the pipes and innards of the ship was interesting and believeable. We never saw anything like that in the Trek we all know and love, but you have to believe it was there somewhere.

Huge funny moment when Scotty is accidentally beamed into the Water Pipes.....was laughing my a*s off.

There was a mind meld sequence that recounted the storyline from the Countdown Comic books and how Nero got into the past, which was awesome and well done.

Sulu gets an excellent sword fight with some kind of Katana, prior to that, they space jumped onto a platform which was scary! (Chief Engineer Olsen dies because he deploys his chute too late)

Scotty makes a classic comment about Sandwichs at one point which caused the whole room to burst laughing.

Again, this movie was amzing and i cant wait for Star Trek XII!!

Last edited by Hailing Frequency Zach : 05-07-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Ensign

Default Movie Discussion/ SPOILER reviews HERE - *SPOILERS* enter at own risk

well I just got back from seeing the film at IMAX in Melbourne... they had star trek music playing before the film started, the music used in The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan I believe, thought it was a great touch... got you ready for what you were about to see...

just a few discussion points, and things that stood out in the film for me...

I thought I'd never see the day...
  • Beastie Boys music in star trekfilm! I'm glad with this selection if they felt inclined to include modern music. The Beastie Boys have promoted the fact through their music that they're trek fans. If anyone deserved to have their music included it would be them. Also the first time the F word has appeared in star trek too!
  • Product placement in star trek! Nokia phone, and Budweiser were the two I saw... Did I miss any others? Still drink crap beer in the 24th century?
  • Spock and Uhura and item, did not see that one coming... Spock better be embracing his Human side, because it would be a shame to hit that only once every seven years...
  • another thing i didn't see coming was Vulcan being destroyed... very bold move, and sets up a very different universe obviously... but I think it's great for the film, and the future films.
the fact they steered the discussion to point out it was an alternate universe, was probably required, but could've been done in a better fashion... Old Spock could've done that on Hoth, and it wouldn't... sorry Delta what ever it was called...

which brings me to my next point, kicking him off the ship in the middle of nowhere? I know Spock was emotional, due to his mother's death, and his planet being destroyed, but that was a little silly...

obviously required to fit Old Spock into the story, but this part could've been written a little better... I mean, transporting from a stationary planet to a ship moving at warp speed? a little disappointing this period of the film...

the other part that i didn't feel fitted all that well was the ceremony when Kirk received his promotion to captain... Kirk had just saved earth, but Vulcan had just been destroyed, yet he receives rapturous applause... I guess I felt the occasion should've been a little more solemn... celebrating, but remembering...

it doesn't stop you from enjoying it though...

The Performances:
  • Old Spock - Leonard Nimoy, enough said...
  • McCoy - Karl Urban stole the show for mine. Read an article the other day where Leonard Nimoy said he cried when he saw Urban playing the role of McCoy, and I can understand why. He was amazing from the opening line, he talked like DeForest Kelly, looked like DeForest Kelly, sounded like DeForest Kelly, but didn't feel like he was impersonating him. Great performance.
  • Kirk - very good from Pine. Captured the essense of Kirk I felt.
  • Spock - Quinto did great justice to the character. Top choice.
  • Scotty - Pegg was quite funny, had scotties attitude. Wasn't given enough time in the film for mine though.
  • The others all did a solid job. Chekov was quite funny, Uhura was hottown, Sulu was solid. Of all the original characters, I thought these last two were the least similar, the least outstanding performances. Although they were probably the "blandest" characters from the original series, so there wasn't any major characteristics the actors had to convey. So having said that they still did a good job.
  • Nero - Bana did a good job, but not given enough screentime for mine. He suffered from the focus on the main cast, which needed to be done, but I would've liked more time on him. A better faceoff at the end with Kirk would've been great.
Hats off to the past (please feel free to add, I'm sure i've not got them all)
  • Kirk cheating on the Kobiashi Maru test
  • Scotty mentioning Admiral Archer's dog
  • Captain Pike ending up in a wheelchair (of different sorts)
  • Where McCoy got the name "Bones"
  • Chekov and his pronounciation
  • Sulu being trained in fencing
  • Kirk's fetish for green women
  • Spock chosing starfleet over the science academy
  • Red shirt dying 2 minutes into the away mission... At least this guy had a name, but as soon as he was on the mission you knew he was gone...
  • Leonard Nimoy reading the "Space, the final frontier" passage at the end
  • TOS theme music for the credits
overall, I had high expectations, and they were pretty much met... some things could've been done better... 8.5 out of 10 for mine, with 10 being the perfect film... great film, will probably go again within the next week...

Last edited by vanlo : 05-07-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Ensign

Great review, didn't read the spoilers section though, but I'm glad you took the time to share with us all. Can't wait till tonight!!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Commander

Skriptures17, this isn't exactly a spoiler - but your sig is oddly appropriate for the new movie

Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriptures17 View Post
Great review, didn't read the spoilers section though, but I'm glad you took the time to share with us all. Can't wait till tonight!!!!
I really enjoyed the movie, I think I'll go and see it again in the day or two once its stopped "replaying" in my head. (I hard such a hard time going to sleep last night cos of that lol)

Come back to this thread after you have seen the movie and see if you agree with my "memorable moments" in the Spoiler part of my post.

I am curious to see if you all agree with me on the memorable moments.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:08 AM

Please place your spoiler free reviews in this thread for people: http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6951
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailing Frequency Zach View Post
Good Morning All,

I saw Star Trek XI last night (May 6th) at 8pm - yes thats right, they showed it a whole day early here - and this is my review.

No Spoilers In this Bit

In short - this movie is everything that people are saying it is - Brilliant, Great, Funny, Serious, Sad, Happy, well Cast, with great special effects, great music, a great storyline and great acting.

There were moments in the movie that had the whole cinema almost crying, other moments that had people roaring with laughter and other moments where it was deadly quiet as something serious happened.

Everyone should see this movie - even if they have some conception that its going to be an abomination. Sure, some people might not like it, but I tell you something, there were 2200 people in that cinema with me last night (they showed it on 3 screens), the place was packed full, and afterwards I heard people saying in both English and the Local Language how great it was.

Even my Girlfriend, who anticipated that she would HATE the movie (she thinks Star Trek is for Geeks, the usual) - said afterwards that it was great, highly entertaining, and that she can't wait for the sequel.

In the First Ten Minutes of the movie, there is a sequence with the USS Kelvin and I have to admit to panicing a little bit at first when I saw some shots of the Interiors, however this feeling quickly passed as I got caught in the storyline and after a few minutes, I had gotten used to it. There are some fairly radical changes, but it feels believeable and its worth noting that the Kelvin is a full 30 years older than the Enterprise.

The Movie Feels 80% like the Star Trek we all grew up with and maybe 20% of revamped or altered things. Original Sound Effects are kept for the most part or changed just a little and everything just looks and feels great - Even the Bridge of the Enterprise.

One final thing i will say....Star Trek has had no advertising whatsoever here in Serbia, nothing, yet that cinema room filled up fast. The capacity was around 1000 seats and it was full and that was just in my screen (the showed it on 3 as I said before). If it can be like that here where there has been no advertising, i can only imagine what it will be like tomorrow across the UK and USA and everywhere else when it opens at 8pm.

All in all - 10 out of 10 - Can't wait for the sequel!

Spoilers

Memorable moments:

Sulu forgetting to take of the "Parking Break" before they jumped to warp - DOH!

Mccoy - "I've got nothing left, my ex-wife took the whole damn planet in our divorce!"

Scottys reference to Admiral Archers Beagle! ( I bet he was pissseeeddd )

Checkov trying to get the computer to recognise his "v"s in his authorisation code - wiktor wiktor ahahahahaha!

Vulcan (you will know what i mean when you watch)

Spock and Uhura - this was certainly and eye raiser

Spock kicking Kirks a*s on the Bridge of the Enterprise.

New Spock and Old Spock meeting for the first time.

The sexy green Orion girl at the academy. (yeah yeah I got a thing for green aliens - sue me!)

Leonard Nimoy's "Space, The Final Frontier" Rendition at the end.

The one and only moment of the movie i thought was corny was the Nokia phone in young Kirk's car.....Puh-lease.

Seeing all the pipes and innards of the ship was interesting and believeable. We never saw anything like that in the Trek we all know and love, but you have to believe it was there somewhere.

Huge funny moment when Scotty is accidentally beamed into the Water Pipes.....was laughing my a*s off.

There was a mind meld sequence that recounted the storyline from the Countdown Comic books and how Nero got into the past, which was awesome and well done.

Sulu gets an excellent sword fight with some kind of Katana, prior to that, they space jumped onto a platform which was scary! (Chief Engineer Olsen dies because he deploys his chute too late)

Scotty makes a classic comment about Sandwichs at one point which caused the whole room to burst laughing.

Again, this movie was amzing and i cant wait for Star Trek XII!!
Super review. You have revealed some really interesting tidbits about the film that I hadn't heard before. The next few days will be difficult to endure, before I finally get to see this film. Thanks for your post!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

I didn't read it but this should be intresting.
Just hours now....
Days instead of hours.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Days instead of hours.
Nice referrence.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Today is Movie day (Major spoilers)

`Went to Taco Bell with my Grandmother. She wanted to see what was playing at the theatre so I drove her to the theatre. She saw that Abramsprise was playing. She goes, WOW New Star Trek Movie, I want to see it, I told her it was not a good movie. She said she would make that decision herself. She watched all the origional Star Trek shows, when they first permiered in 1966. So I will try to take her to the movie,(Maybe take my walkman with me to listen to some music or the news while the disaster is playing) either Friday or Monday.

Many know I hate this movie. Besides the fluff I will now explain a few details why I hate the movie.

WARNING SPOILERS

I tried to use the code for the spoiler hiding thing but it does not seem to work I invite the moderators to fix it if possiable thank you

the spoiler tag works

Three. Star Trek is Dead.

You all can say Parallel Universe, Alternate Time Line. But unless Paramount makes a new movie in the normal Star Trek Universe, Then the time line is dead. Paramount could declare all the fan movies to be official and that would keep the time line alive. But unless Paramount did that or made a new movie in the normal Star Trek Canon Universe, its dead. You can say that the normal Star Trek is still there all you want, but unless you actually make a movie about that normal Star Trek or declare the Fan Fiction official, there is no evidence for the normal star trek line existing.

Thats my review.

0 stars out of 10

BOMB
[/spoil]

Last edited by ST Redshirt : 05-07-2009 at 06:13 AM.