The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > J. J. A blows off purists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
Where did you guys come up with "flipping off purists?"
The thread title says he "blows" off purists.
Big difference there.
Blowing someone off simply means you're not letting them bother you.
If anyone's insulted by that it's their own problem.

I changed the title from "flipping off" to "blowing off" It was more accurate and less vulgar.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
Flipping off purists? I don't see it... I just see JJ responding honestly and inoffensively to unwarranted criticism.
I don't see it either.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I do not like the term Purist.

Fans have grown use to the Star Trek as it was. They like the history and there are not that many shows with a history like Star Trek. I think Doctor Who may come close. And now you all call us Purist and wonder why we so hate this #$#$^# Abramsdisaster.

I do not see people on this Paramount forum showing some understanding for we fans who have grown to love Star Trek over the last 43 years.

And $#^$(#^$*(#$^ Abrams wants us to forget all that just so he can have a creative hand in making his what ever. This reminds me of Beetlejuice when that family moved into the house of the people who died. They wrecked the house.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
Flipping off purists? I don't see it... I just see JJ responding honestly and inoffensively to unwarranted criticism.
When you produce anything creative, criticism is never unwarranted. Unfounded? Sometimes. Unreasonable? Occasionally. But putting it out there to be seen makes it fair game for criticism.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post

Fans have grown use to the Star Trek as it was. They like the history and there are not that many shows with a history like Star Trek. I think Doctor Who may come close. And now you all call us Purist and wonder why we so hate this #$#$^# Abramsdisaster.

I do not see people on this Paramount forum showing some understanding for we fans who have grown to love Star Trek over the last 43 years.

And $#^$(#^$*(#$^ Abrams wants us to forget all that just so he can have a creative hand in making his what ever. This reminds me of Beetlejuice when that family moved into the house of the people who died. They wrecked the house.
Abrams is saying to you, oddly, the same thing I've been saying. If it's Star Trek you like, as opposed to generic sci-fi action flicks, don't bother seeing this. It may do well and eventually become it's own thing, but it was not intended to be and shows no guarantees that it ever will be the same Star Trek that we came to like.

This is not the Star Trek we all came here as fans of.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Abrams is saying to you, oddly, the same thing I've been saying. If it's Star Trek you like, as opposed to generic sci-fi action flicks, don't bother seeing this. It may do well and eventually become it's own thing, but it was not intended to be and shows no guarantees that it ever will be the same Star Trek that we came to like.

Have you seen it?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post

As far back as I can remember Trek has always been a part of my life. Like you and many other I am sure that we have seen every episode under the title of Star Trek. Memorized every nuance the episodes and movies. I feel the pull of nostalgia when ever I look at some of my TOS collectables. But I have noticed a change in Trek. in the 70's, it was cool to like Star Trek. No one really thought you were geeky giving you buddy at school a vulcan salute. A decade later in the 80's people were hiding their Starfleet uniform in the darkest regions of their closet and taking them out only for the out of town conventions. Trek had become a nerdy show...that little geeks would nitpick over and discuss in detail, frame by frame every last second of Trek footage ever shot. I am still one of those "geeks." Now it's been a long time since we have had a fresh idea in Trek. We have got one. Taking Trek back to its beginning and starting off brand new...A chance to bring Trek out of the convention closet and make it acceptable again. Shedding some light in the basements of the world with a new Trek. Man I am so excited! Yet there is a darkness lurking about. Poisoning the return trail of Trekdom. Miserly little runts that cannot think outside of the parameters established in the past much less their basement walls...mindless automotons treating every scap of dialog uttered in Trek as a mantra. Any thing that upsets the balance of what they hold as "Canon" is met with shrill cries of heresy and "It sucks". (some are more articulate than others)Well I say be gone with you. Star Trek is coming to the masses once again. Still boldly going at warp speed. A new era which will be embraced by many fans old and new. Go back to your syndicated re-run's. More room for those who wish to embark on more adventures.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobertsumc View Post
Have you seen it?
Have you ignored the quote from Abrams? Forget I asked that, of course you have. Anything to pretend those who are critical of the film have absolutely no information on which to base criticism.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Simply false.

If you had said "This is not the Star Trek those of us with points of view similar to mine all came here as fans of," I would agree with you.

This film is very much the Star Trek I became a fan of back in the day, and it is very much what I am interested in seeing continue into the future.

I decline to define what Star Trek is, for all fans, for all time. I also reject your attempt to do so.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Ensign

One person wrote:

"I do not see people on this Paramount forum showing some understanding for we fans who have grown to love Star Trek over the last 43 years."

Excuse me? Many of the people on this forum *are* "fans who have grown to love Star Trek over the last 43 years." I'm one, and I love the idea of this film.

Someone else wrote:

"This is not the Star Trek we all came here as fans of."

How do you figure? Which is the "one true Trek" "we all came here as fans of"? Even TOS itself had its clunker episodes that were definately *not* the Trek that drew me in. I didn't like TNG, loved DS9, didn't like Voyager, wanted to like Enterprise but couldn't get into it. Didn't even bother to go see the last three films.

Do those likes and dislikes (and viewing abstentions) disqualify me as a true fan? I think not! I imagine that you'd find a wide variety of likes/dislikes from anyone you query on this forum, but no absolute agreement on anything ... even TOS.

Don't define "we fans who have grown to love Star Trek over the last 43 years" by your own tastes, views, and opinions. There is no Star Trek Fan group mind (thank god) ... and not you nor anyone else is the queen bee (or Borg).

State your pov, but don't flail about lack of respect in anyone's name but your own. Because I'm feeling the love here and in Abram's work, and I'm not the only one in this form who is. %-)