The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > J. J. A blows off purists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
While the new Star Trek movie is receiving mostly approving reviews from film critics, director J.J. Abrams is apparently bracing for an onslaught of criticism from those he calls "Star Trek purists." In an interview with Australia's AAP wire service, Abrams has this advice for them: "Don't waste your time." He indicated that he has already heard from some who were particularly critical of the fact that he did not find a slot for William Shatner, the original Capt. Kirk, in the movie. "For them I say, 'Don't see the movie. You'll just get angry. It is not Shatner playing Kirk, so I do apologize." And actor Chris Pine, who plays Kirk in the new film, indicated that he went out of his way to avoid watching Shatner movie and TV appearances. "I know how I work and by watching a lot of Mr Shatner's performances as Captain Kirk I knew by osmosis I would get on set and try and impersonate Mr Shatner," he said. "It was not my job. I didn't want people to start paying attention to whether I was doing a perfect William Shatner."
I applaud J.J. for his honesty and determination. Especially in the face of the sort of opposition he has been getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
He's so abrasive when he says it though. I don't mind him having his opinion, and I respect and applaud his right to voice it. I just wish he would do so with a bit of tact. And just for the record I had no desire to see William Shatner play Kirk in this film, ever.
IMO, he is tactful. I can think of ways in which Abrams could have expressed his opinion that would have been far more crass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperaME View Post
He was rather polite in what he said...*snip*...He deserves some credit for his thick skin at the least.
ITA.

I don't understand the amount of vitriol that is being splattered all over this board. Just as my liking J.J. Abram's vision of Star Trek does not mean that it or he is worthy of sainthood, so others' dislike for it should not mean that it--or again, Abrams--is deserving of condemnation to hell.

A hyperbolic statement, perhaps. Yet from some of the things that have been written here, one might think otherwise.

At the end of the day...And I can't believe I'm saying this, considering how much I adore Star Trek...It's just a movie.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by C76 View Post
At the end of the day...And I can't believe I'm saying this, considering how much I adore Star Trek...It's just a movie.
Give dat man a seegar!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Give dat man a seegar!
Not good enough. Give dat man a cuban!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baelzar View Post
I'm no purist, Trekkie, Trekker, whatever it's called...but I'm not impressed with the movie either.

Of course, Abrams mucked up my two favorite characters, Kirk and Spock. Changed them on a fundamental level by altering their histories so severely, that they are difficult to recognize now. Kirk and Spock are the reasons I ever became a Star Trek fan at all, and it was those two he messed with the most. Why?

Frankly, I think the whole re-boot idea was lazy and self-serving. Why not just use brand new characters if you want to do your own thing?

When you start playing in a world that has a 30-year history, you accept the criticism up front.
Yep, you either accept the challenge of writing a genuine, honest prequel or you accept that you're going to get a ton and a half of flak for promoting a prequel at first and then spending a year going, "Uhhhhhh, ehhhhhh, welllllll, it's really more of a reboot, but it's NOT A REBOOT, but really it is, BUT IT'S NOT..." and then delivering a reboot.

Man knew it was comin'.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by C76
It's just a movie.
When it's tied into 40 years and million of fans around the world, all due respect, no the hell it is not "just" a movie.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Vice Admiral

The whole movie was JJ Abrams' way of letting us long time TOS fans know under no uncertain terms that this truely ain't our Star Trek anymore. And never will be again.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
When it's tied into 40 years and million of fans around the world, all due respect, no the hell it is not "just" a movie.

QFE
Old 05-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Ensign

You're right. It's the best Star Trek movie out with the highest gross in the franchise in only it's first week.

Abrams did it right.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't say best. I would rank it about third. Behind TWOK and TUC, my two favorites. But that's my opinion.