The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > J. J. A blows off purists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Lieutenant

Default J. J. A blows off purists

While the new Star Trek movie is receiving mostly approving reviews from film critics, director J.J. Abrams is apparently bracing for an onslaught of criticism from those he calls "Star Trek purists." In an interview with Australia's AAP wire service, Abrams has this advice for them: "Don't waste your time." He indicated that he has already heard from some who were particularly critical of the fact that he did not find a slot for William Shatner, the original Capt. Kirk, in the movie. "For them I say, 'Don't see the movie. You'll just get angry. It is not Shatner playing Kirk, so I do apologize." And actor Chris Pine, who plays Kirk in the new film, indicated that he went out of his way to avoid watching Shatner movie and TV appearances. "I know how I work and by watching a lot of Mr Shatner's performances as Captain Kirk I knew by osmosis I would get on set and try and impersonate Mr Shatner," he said. "It was not my job. I didn't want people to start paying attention to whether I was doing a perfect William Shatner."
Old 05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Commander

Flipping off purists? I don't see it... I just see JJ responding honestly and inoffensively to unwarranted criticism.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Considering the crap we have to deal with here on this forum from some people, I don't blame him for ignoring it.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I don't see how he flipped off purists, but I do see how some who have negative opinions about Abrams would take it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
While the new Star Trek movie is receiving mostly approving reviews from film critics, director J.J. Abrams is apparently bracing for an onslaught of criticism from those he calls "Star Trek purists."
Oh, he calls them that. Oh I see. Never mind the fact that many of the people for whom he apparently invented the label for, call themselves that. I saw I-Am-Zime say this more than once here, "I'm a Purist."

Again, it looks like a lot of you are playing the blame game here. Blaming everything on the new guy. The sky is falling, it's Abrams' fault.

Quote:
In an interview with Australia's AAP wire service, Abrams has this advice for them: "Don't waste your time."
A realistic piece of advice. The movie is already out. He was finished with it a long time ago. Seriously... don't waste your time with a movie you've already set into your mind as a failure. If you already have a rough draft of the film review saved on your computer, prior to seeing the movie, don't waste your time.

Quote:
He indicated that he has already heard from some who were particularly critical of the fact that he did not find a slot for William Shatner, the original Capt. Kirk, in the movie. "For them I say, 'Don't see the movie. You'll just get angry. It is not Shatner playing Kirk, so I do apologize."
Realistic suggestion. If for you, this movie would fail without Shatner reprising his role, and Abrams and co. have already made it clear he will not be in the movie, don't see the movie.

Oh, and is that an apology I see? I'm surprised you included that in there. Yeah, he said he's sorry. I'm sure if I told him that I think his movie will suck because there aren't any flying monkeys delivering pizzas in it, he'd probably say "sorry, that is not in this movie."

Quote:
And actor Chris Pine, who plays Kirk in the new film, indicated that he went out of his way to avoid watching Shatner movie and TV appearances. "I know how I work and by watching a lot of Mr Shatner's performances as Captain Kirk I knew by osmosis I would get on set and try and impersonate Mr Shatner," he said. "It was not my job. I didn't want people to start paying attention to whether I was doing a perfect William Shatner."
Good idea actually. I don't know how many plays, or movies for that matter, that you've been in. But usually directors actually suggest not to watch and even sometimes forbid the watching of other performances based on the same material. You have to take the character and make it your own first. This is especially important in the case of someone playing the character of Kirk. Kirk as played by William Shatner has been parodied way too much for a new "down pat" performance of Kirk to be taken seriously. From comedians to SNL to In Living Color, they've all done it.

Rather than go, "I need to watch the old episodes so I get the performance right, and the way he talks down pat", Pine should (and hopefully did) distance himself from any Shatner performances. At least until he made the Kirk character his own. This is James T. Kirk played by Chris Pine, not William Shatner.

And let's be realistic here. Kirk is a fictional character created by Roddenberry. Both Shatner's and Pine's peformances are simply adaptations of Kirk.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Ensign

Oh boy...
Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
Flipping off purists? I don't see it... I just see JJ responding honestly and inoffensively to unwarranted criticism.
Agreed, he's honest about it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Commander

He's so abrasive when he says it though. I don't mind him having his opinion, and I respect and applaud his right to voice it. I just wish he would do so with a bit of tact. And just for the record I had no desire to see William Shatner play Kirk in this film, ever.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I don't see anything wrong with what JJ or CP said. And we all know that those who swear they will never go see this POS will go see it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Commander

There wasn't anything wrong with what JJ is reputed to have said, it's how he said it that concerned me. It was harsh and blunt. Everything Pine said was fine with me. But I've expressed my opinion and that's all I'm going to do. The last thing I want to do is get into any kind of argument tonight of all nights, so I'm going to pretend I never saw this thread.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
He's so abrasive when he says it though. I don't mind him having his opinion, and I respect and applaud his right to voice it. I just wish he would do so with a bit of tact. And just for the record I had no desire to see William Shatner play Kirk in this film, ever.
He's probably had to deal with more criticism and hatred than any other director of a Star Trek movie, EVER. And from all accounts so far the movie IS NOT A BAD MOVIE.

I don't blame him one bit for telling the overly criticial nitpicky haters to go somewhere else.

And for the record I don't consider Zim or Saquist to be overly critical nitpicky haters.

There is that "Abramsprise" thing though. It really does piss me off. And I'm pretty sure JJ feels the same way. And there doesn't seem to be a very good reason to say it anymore. It's taylor-made to be a bold faced insult.

How would they like it if I started calling it the Zimprise or the Saquistprise?

Last edited by RedShirtsRuS : 05-06-2009 at 08:50 PM.