The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Does anyone have any beefs with Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Rear Admiral

lol sounds like a plan

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Commander

My beef is that all the Trek TV (minus TNG) had bad endings/finales. TOS = no real ending, DS9 = the most sad, depressing ending to a show EVER, VOY = should have tied up some ends on earth, ENT = the finale was about Riker's unseen dilemma from The Pegasus featuring the NX-01 crew in the holodeck files...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Seriously! Like when my friend comes over and we watch Star Trek, my mom comes in the room and says, "Turn that off." I mean, what the hell does she care? If she would sit down and actually watch it with me, she might just like it. All she says is, "She looks too old to have her hair like that." *Referring to Troi's new hairdoo in Nemesis, which I think looked hot!
Yup.

I'm sad that I don't know anyone in real life who really loves DS9 as much as I do because it would be great to watch it together with someone and not be constantly worried about are they hating it or something?

And I'm thirty years old but (and moved out years ago) but I would still like if my mum liked ST as well. All she ever talks about is her stupid garden.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Ensign

I took my parents to see Nemesis when it was released and they...quite liked it! I even got them to watch First Contact and Insurrection on video, alas they were not interested in any of the other films, but still 3 films is better than none.

I currently have 7 books published and I'm just over half way through writing my 8th...
Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I think my big beef with Star Trek is that it portrays a universe that is so friggin' uniform in thought. Tell me, where are the gay characters? Or has that been "cured?" We get all sorts of races in the episodes, but for all intents and purposes, everyone is exactly the same.

I remember reading Niven's "Ringworld" and how various races were selected to investigate the ringworld because of their different points of view. Or how Farscape had all these amazingly different species, each with their own desires, needs and motivations... by comparison, Trek is like "Lutherans in Space." Paramount, it's time to show us that the future will have some color, some diversity to it. Not just this whitebread conformity.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I think my big beef with Star Trek is that it portrays a universe that is so friggin' uniform in thought. Tell me, where are the gay characters? Or has that been "cured?" We get all sorts of races in the episodes, but for all intents and purposes, everyone is exactly the same.
What if gays and lesbians don't have to be pointed out in the 23rd/24th century because aren't they treated differently from anyone else? Given how alien species are readily accepted as co-workers, friends, fellow or superior officers just in Starfleet alone, why would gays and lesbians still be "standing out" as a special class by then?

I understand your point, but it seems like you're wanting to inject 21st century thoughts and outlook into a future society two hundred years beyond our own petty prejudices and illogical bigotry. By insisting the gay community "stand out" in the TREK universe, doesn't that also perpetuate the prejudice against them as well?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Lieutenant Commander

One thing that has always annoyed me is the way they keep making references to music, art and literature from the 18th, 19th or 20th century. I know that a lot of what was created during those periods is now considered as classic but you don't hear people from the present time talking about art or music that was created 600 years ago (except maybe for Leonardo DaVinci's work). You would think that other classic works would have been made between our time and the 23rd century... And I'm not even going to talk about Tom Paris' obsession with 50s cars and that ridiculous Captain Proton...

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 03-10-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Rear Admiral

lol, So you think their should be references to Brittany Spears, and N'Sync?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
lol, So you think their should be references to Brittany Spears, and N'Sync?
Haha, very funny ... What I'm saying is that they should have come up with something totally original, something beyond what we know now, just like they did for some alien races (like Klingon operas and songs, for example).

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 03-10-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Vice Admiral

I'm with RedAlertRiker's Dad on the tech stuff. How can every problem in the universe be solved by modifying the freaking tachyon pulse and/or using the deflector dish?

Now that we live in a CGI world, maybe we can have more than bipedals on board, too.