The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Official "I Love this Movie" Thread!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Banned

Smile The Official "I Love this Movie" Thread!

If you loved this movie, please describe your feelings here together with why you loved it.

I'll start:

I loved this movie because it gave me new confidence that the Star Trek universe will thrive for many years to come -- among many reasons!

Your turn!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Lieutenant

I loved this movie because it was different from past Treks, but in a very good way. That's the main reason. I have more, but it would be a long list, lol.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Vice Admiral

I loved this movie because it was a great movie to love!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Commander

It restarted without destroying the original.
The actors played the characters instead of imitating the original cast.
It's nice to see the 23rd century look like the future again.
It brought in new fans.
It's not another TNG film.
It's bout' damn time we got back to basics.....just Star Trek.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
It's bout' damn time we got back to basics.....just Star Trek.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I loved this movie because it's done what no other Star Trek movie since Wrath of Khan has done.

It made me cry, multiple times.

I truly cherish movies that evoke an emotional response from me, be it comedic, dramatic, sad, happy. This movie did it all for me.

And I truly do understand why they chose not to put the cerebral at the forefront of the movie(it was there but it wasn't HERE I AM, THINK DAMMIT!).

This movie was a way to set up a new universe, bring in new fans, and get the old fans interested again. I've never seen this much discussion about any other Star Trek movie ever. That's a good thing.

In order to cater for the newcomers, they had to somewhat reestablish the characters for those not familiar with them. The forefront of this movie was character development and rightfully so if this is to be an origin story/starting point.

If they jumped right into deep morality plays and the cerebral, it really wouldn't mean as much if the characters weren't well recieved by the audience. It would just seem...preachy. It's much easier to moralize with someone you like than with someone you don't like. Character development should always be first and the social commentary should come in as a close second, after, and only after the characters are established.

I'm glad that the movie took the direction it took. I am certain that now that the characters are established and the characters are well liked, then the more cerebral Trek can take place in future movies. But a cool space battle or two(or three) and some slapstick comedy are also welcome as well. Loved it.

And I absolutely love the fact that the movie is fun and energetic and optimistic. I love the portrayal of this future.

If you want deep, dark, depressing, edgy social commentary, go watch BSG.(BSG is awesome, but I do not want to see Trek become BSG).

If you want to have a good time, if you want to be happy, if you want to think a little more than usual, if you don't wan't to be preached at, go watch Star Trek.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Its hard to say what I like best, there are so many things. It was just overall a great movie!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Ensign

I loved this movie because STAR TREK is going to live long and propser for a long,long time.Why is it that so many are having trouble enjoying this new series?I will have to quote the shat when i say " GET A LIFE".
Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Ensign

I love this movie because it is a 2 hour long Crowning Moment of Awesome.
There have been men before … who got so interested in proving the existence of God that they came to care nothing for God himself… as if the good Lord had nothing to do but to exist. There have been some who were so preoccupied with spreading Christianity that they never gave a thought to Christ. - C.S. Lewis