The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Where were you when you first found out about this movie?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I think I found through IMDB.

Then I watched the first trailer which was available on the Playstation Network.

Then I stuck around the IMDB disussion board(the horror), and then I found trekmovie.com and startrekmovie.com and here I am.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Commander

I was working near a theater and would often converse with the theater manager on breaks. One day he tells me they got "Cloverfield" and there's a trailer on it for a new Star Trek movie, and I'm like WHAT!? I asked him if I could come in just to watch the trailer to see what was up, and I'm asking myself Is it a DS9 movie, or Voyager maybe? Or is the STNG crew going to make one more, what is going on? And then I see those dock workers welding and see that ship come up and I see NCC-1701 no bloody A, B, C, or D and I flipped. I came out of that theater in semi shock, I couldn't believe it. They were doing something I wanted them to for a long time, revisit the TOS era. Little did I know then what a trip it would be from there to here. I remember when I first joined the board, I was suffering under the illusion that Gabriel Koerner's design of the Enterprise would be the design from the film. I got awfully deflated when the board members corrected that misinformation. I've been corrected a lot more since then.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Federation Councillor

Reading a newspaper interveiw with Abrams a few months after (or around the time of - memory fuzzy) the release of M:I:III in 2006 or early 2007.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 AM
Ensign

The first time I heard about the new Star Trek movie was actually back in early 2003 just after Nemesis had been released Brent Spiner was talking about doing a crossover with TNG, DS9 and VOY since Nemesis sucked. After that nothing for about 2 years then there were rumors that it might instead involve the Enterprise crew during the romulan wars and then it was going to be a whole new crew. Then in early 2006 I heard that J.J. Abrams was going to be director for this film a few months later I found the Teaser poster and realized what he was planning and in Late 2006 I found TrekMovie.com. It was almost 2 more years before I found this forum when the first Tralier was released. The rest is now history.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 AM
Rear Admiral

It was one of those nights when you had nothing to do but surf the web and see what was out there...I came across an article with the banner " Damon slated to play young Kirk." You better believe I was shocked as I read the article...I thought oh no not him Good Will Hunting on the Enterprise? What next Ben Affleck as Spock? Shoot me now! After that I was checking in whenever my schedule would allow...I was at home and I saw the teaser trailer online... I must have sounded a bit frantic when I called my wife because she came blasting into the room with alarm...when she saw it just my excitement over a "stupid commercial", she slugged me in the arm repeatedly. Since then I have taken her to every hippy dippy chick flick (yes Twilight was included) just so she would have no grond to stand on in refusing to see Trek as a family movie. Now tomorrow at 7pm I will be settled into my theater seat politely ignoring my wifes sagrine at having to be at a Star Trek Movie...Nice thing is My son and I have her out-numbered.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

somewhere in July 2006, when they issued this:

It was SOOOOO downright to the beloved roots of TOS and exactly that, what I always hoped, at he same time feared but internally dreamed for, that I was scared and excited at once and simply couldn't believe it to get real one day.

I couldn't take my eyes from it and now it hangs framed on my wall to remind me:
"Just don't ever stop hoping and dreaming, some might come true."
Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
It was one of those nights when you had nothing to do but surf the web and see what was out there...I came across an article with the banner " Damon slated to play young Kirk." You better believe I was shocked as I read the article...I thought oh no not him Good Will Hunting on the Enterprise? What next Ben Affleck as Spock? Shoot me now! After that I was checking in whenever my schedule would allow...I was at home and I saw the teaser trailer online... I must have sounded a bit frantic when I called my wife because she came blasting into the room with alarm...when she saw it just my excitement over a "stupid commercial", she slugged me in the arm repeatedly. Since then I have taken her to every hippy dippy chick flick (yes Twilight was included) just so she would have no grond to stand on in refusing to see Trek as a family movie. Now tomorrow at 7pm I will be settled into my theater seat politely ignoring my wifes sagrine at having to be at a Star Trek Movie...Nice thing is My son and I have her out-numbered.
You know, I've always thought that Damon could have managed it. But perhaps he was too recognizeable after Bourne etc.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
You know, I've always thought that Damon could have managed it. But perhaps he was too recognizeable after Bourne etc.
I don't like him much as an actor. For all the hype about him, he's not that great. He's not a bad actor, I just don't think he's as good as people make him out to be. So I'm glad they didn't pick him to be Kirk. He also doesn't seem to have the confidence/arrogance to play the Kirk type role.
I hope your stepson doesn't eat the fish
There's something wrong with me
There's nothing wrong with you
Don't eat the fish
-
System of a Down
Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Well, it'll never be known now!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade