The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Where were you when you first found out about this movie?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Ensign

Default Where were you when you first found out about this movie?

My first introduction to the fact there would be a new ST was the previews for the movie Cloverfield... I was with friends from work so I got wierd looks when I kinda fell outta my chair, jaw dropped, eyes glued to screen... Christmas 2008, that was gonna be a long year... and now it's been even longer... but that first initial trailer for it... The famous moon speech, the welding, oh man oh man oh man... I was dizzy for weeks with excitement...

So, where were you and what were you doing when you first found out about the new movie?

Jason
Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Commander

Same story, I walked into Cloverfield being a fan of LOST.

When this strange, dark, and downright epic looking trailer came on.

The Screen flased with images of a colossal building of sorts.

"what could this be?" I think to myself.

*From Director JJ Abrams*

"Director?! This must be big!"

Cue to more welding and such, I begin to see a somewhat familiar shape, but haven't put it together yet.

"What... is this? Transformers??"

Then the camera begins floating up, and I make it out right before Nimoy gives those famous words.

*Space... The Final Frontier* and the reveal of the Enterprise.

Chills are racing down my spine and my jaw is on the floor.

The TOS music begins as the titles fade in with a transporter sound.

I'm awestruck.

I sit through the next 2 or 3 minutes completely engrossed in WTF just happened.

That's when I realize it... Star Trek is back!

That is my over-dramatized account of what happened. But it did go like that, I felt like a kid on Christmas.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Ensign

I was at work on my lunch break checking out what new movies were coming out...then I stumbled up the teaser trailer and thought...no way!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I would actually like to think that I came up with the rough idea for Star Trek XI before even JJ Abrams knew what it was. See, it was 2005. My Dad and I were eating cheeseburgers at a restaurant called Max and Erma's near our home in Lexington, Kentucky (this was before I moved to California) and my Dad, knowing that I was a trekkie, asked me, "If they decided to remake the original Star Trek, and recast Kirk and Co., which actors would you get to do the crew?" This discussion lasted the remainder of our meal, and we came up with the following list. Kirk is noticeably absent due to the fact that we concluded an unknown actor would fare best:

SPOCK - Johnny Depp
BONES - Gary Oldman
SCOTTY - Ewan McGregor
SULU - Jet Li
UHURA - Halle Berry

This list assumes two things. First, that the film is their first mission together, hence the absence of Chekov, and also, that the characters are meant to all be in their thirties, much as the original cast was during the TOS run.

Fast forward a year to late 2006. I had by this time moved to California, and was reading up on Star Trek on the internet. I can't remember exactly when I discovered that JJ Abrams was behind a new Star Trek movie which would tell the story of the TOS crew meeting on their first adventure, but I do remember getting chills as I realized, "They are making mine and my dad's Star Trek idea into a real movie."

Of course, a good deal of time has passed, and we know far more about the new film now than we did then. But I will never forget that conversation that me and my dad had at Max and Erma's just four years before it became a reality.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Vice Admiral

That a movie was actually being made and not just 'in development'? I was right in front of my computer and downloaded the teaser right after I saw it mentioned somewhere. I cant say it was stunning or anything like that. Probably more like 'thats looks cool'. But then I am not easily impressed by teasers or trailers.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
Same story, I walked into Cloverfield being a fan of LOST.

When this strange, dark, and downright epic looking trailer came on.

The Screen flased with images of a colossal building of sorts.

"what could this be?" I think to myself.

*From Director JJ Abrams*

"Director?! This must be big!"

Cue to more welding and such, I begin to see a somewhat familiar shape, but haven't put it together yet.

"What... is this? Transformers??"

Then the camera begins floating up, and I make it out right before Nimoy gives those famous words.

*Space... The Final Frontier* and the reveal of the Enterprise.

Chills are racing down my spine and my jaw is on the floor.

The TOS music begins as the titles fade in with a transporter sound.

I'm awestruck.

I sit through the next 2 or 3 minutes completely engrossed in WTF just happened.

That's when I realize it... Star Trek is back!

That is my over-dramatized account of what happened. But it did go like that, I felt like a kid on Christmas.
Same exact thing with me. Except I had the realization when the "That's one small step for man" came on and I thought that the Enterprise!!!
I hope your stepson doesn't eat the fish
There's something wrong with me
There's nothing wrong with you
Don't eat the fish
-
System of a Down
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Commander

In the fall of 2006. I happened to catch the Remastered episode of Where No Man Has Gone Before, and noticed that the space shots, while still cheesy, were new looking. I did a Google search for new fx in Star Trek, came upon Trekmovie.com, and 2 and a half years later, here we are.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

My roommate and I were messed up and while we were watching TOS he mentioned the movie coming out and we went to my comp. and watched the trailer and to say the least I was freaking out.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Ensign

i found out at the season finale of Enterprise. it aired on UPN 9 in NYC. and right after the finale the local news came on and they talked about the finale and that paramount had a movie planned for the future. then @ cloverfield i saw the teaser trailer and the rest is history
Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Commander

Rumors in 2006(?) I think. Then for certain somewhere online in 2007. I must have been under a rock before than! I think I found it on the startrek.com boards.