The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
that little parasite could be related to those from Conspiracy (TNG), and I liked that.
I'm pretty sure Nero says the parasite came from Ceti Alpha.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post

They seemed to be a related species but they called it something different... I'm wondering if he didn't read about the logs of the mission and thought "in this year starfleet does't know these things exist" - I'm sure in the years after TWOK they had some sort of effective vaccine against them or such since they were never used again by the bad guys.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post

I thought he said Alpha Centauri or something....could be wrong.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Midshipman

I did enjoy the movie. As for the interior of enterprise????? I am a little dissapointed, Im sure I saw Brick walls in Enterprise?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iang1968 View Post
I did enjoy the movie. As for the interior of enterprise????? I am a little dissapointed, Im sure I saw Brick walls in Enterprise?
This is the non-spoiler thread but some of the building materials of Enterprise seemed a little too familiar for my tastes.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Just a word on two aspects:

Shaky camera - To those who didn't like it : try to get used to it because this is how action movies have been filmed for the past five years or so and that particular style of filming will probably be around for a while. I agree with you though that it can be really annoying at times and I think you sort of lose perspective on what is going on and all the great fight moves.

Nero's background - Two words: Read Countdown...

Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Midshipman

I saw the movie last night. Holy crow, it was absolutely amazing!
Although the new Chekhov doesn’t look anything like the original (not that he could compare), he wasn’t as bad as I thought he would be. As for Scotty, I personally thought he was hilarious. Urban and Pine were fantastic as McCoy and Kirk.
I’m going to see it again tonight. My friend and I wore our Starfleet uniforms (Original Series, of course) and we actually had a few people come up and request to take a picture with us! XD
Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign James T. Kirk View Post
I thought he said Alpha Centauri or something....could be wrong.
Centaurian slugs, if I remember correctly.
But they share some features with the Conspiracy animals

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Ensign

Thumbs down Plot: Top Gun

I saw the movie last night, in a Boston theater. There was an irritating reporter from local TV Fox 25 News that was clearly annoyed that it was a nerd-free premiere. He was stopping people and trying to provoke them, asking them with a condescending smirk if Professor Dumbledorf was in the movie, and people would just give him a dirty look and walk away.

The cinema had two screens showing the movie. The screen I was in, it was less than 20% full. The crowd was mixed, but mostly older 45+ - classic Trek fans. I spoke to a few of them. Everyone agreed that the guy from Fox 25 was a pompous annoying jerk.

Stardate 2233.04 - I liked the opening scene - no, I LOVED the opening scene. The opening scene was Classic Star Trek. It had the strength, the confidence, the NOBILITY that makes Star Trek what it is.

As for the rest of the movie... well, maybe I'm not the target audience, but the rest of the movie never came close to grasping the nobility of the opening scene. At one point I even thought about walking out. Maybe I'm not the target audience. But except for Uhura, everyone else in the cast at one point or another was made to look like a screwup. Zoe Saldana's Uhura did credit to the original Star trek by embodying the nobility, confidence, and emotional fearlessness that characterized the original series. She was the best part of the movie - except I didn't like the implied future romantic relationship which changes the dynamic.

Maybe the purpose of the opening scene was so Abrams could say to classic Trek fans - "see, I know what you want, and I can make a powerful, compelling movie based on Classic Trek. But I'm not gonna do it, nyah nyah, nyah nyah nyah!"

I thought that the Abrams remake of the Enterprise exterior was obvious with the female sexual imagery (my friend nudged me and asked with a smile "What does that remind you of?"). And the interior of the Enterprise seemed - cold, lifeless, and sterile. The interior of all of Roddenberry's ships were in warm, muted earth-tone colors, and you could FEEL the roof over your heads. It gave you a comfortable sense of intimacy with the surroundings, as if you were in a good friend's living room (George Lucas did exactly the same thing onscreen with all the good-guy spaceships). But the interior of Abram's Enterprise was done in cold shades of icy blue, with blaring lights and the sterile coldness of a hospital emergency room.

The Plot was the formulamatic and completely unoriginal Tom Cruise #2 - Local Troublemaker is Mentored Into Living Up To The Legend Of His Father, Meets People Along the Way who Become Friends, Climaxing in an Ultimate Battle Where he Finally Becomes a Man. (in Tom Cruise #1, he doesn't meet people along the way).

This story didn't have to be done in this unoriginal way, but it was obvious that the purpose of the time-travel plot device was an excuse to deliberately break with Roddenberry's Star Trek by permanently destroying/killing/removing crucial elements, and also to dumb-down the main characters. This was done to force the plot to fit Tom Cruise #2. The things that were destroyed significantly changes the nature and the dynamic of this Star Trek. Maybe that's more in line with what kids today need to see in a movie. But I think that cutsie Ewok-type creature Abrams threw in was an unnecessary bit of Hollywood formula. Maybe it's to appeal to the kids. It's definitely going to be an action-figure. Oh, before I forget, the movie had at least four shoot'em-up designed-for-video-game scenes.

There was an obvious homage to the beginning of the original series - the planet Delta Vega in this film was in Shatner's very first Star Trek episode, "Where No Man has Gone Before" (which starred Gary Lockwood of "2001").

In Abram's Kirk's final dialog with his enemy, he appears to do proud credit to the compassion that is the Original Series - but then he hints to Spock that his compassion was really phony, and he really didn't mean it (Abram's Kirk is a shameless liar in this movie, who seizes command of the Enterprise by treachery).

This was not my Star Trek, and I didn't like it because it lacks the nobility and the integrity of the original. But I'm not the target audience.

Last edited by Integritas : 05-08-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Very THOROUGH, and an intresting take on the film.
Thanks Integritas for like how JIM ROME ESPN likes to say "having a take and not sucking" Very good.