The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Lieutenant

Default Just got back from watching it! (no spoilers, other than my reaction)

I came, I saw, and I loved it!

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Midshipman

Just got back from seeing the new Star Trek Film on IMAX...it was an EPIC! Jot down those four words and remember...this movie thrills from start to finish. I am looking foward to the sequel and an extended director's cut! JJ and company have taken something wonderful and given back ten-fold!!! This proves that looking at something with fresh eyes can produce wonderful things!

This movie is a MUST-SEE for all, it doesn't matter if you are a Trek Fan or not, it is truly great. The film is not weighted down with too many "Trek-isms," it pays homage without seeming "corny," and the uniforms fit in all the right places. Put simply, it works. It unfolds a completely new universe to become familiar with and to boldly go inside of.

Most of the movie-goers were young...which is a great thing. If you have misgivings about "canon," keep an open mind to all the possibilities which are opened up by the "reboot."

The universe is truly at our feet. Many congrats and kudos to JJ and Company...YOU GUYS DID IT!!! I never doubted it for an instant. You took me by surprise and totally thrilled me for every second. Warning to all who like to eat popcorn and drink fountain drinks, be sure to use the restroom BEFORE the movie...you don't want to miss even a second...it is an EPIC!

Thank you all for giving us this wonderful new universe. I am totally enthralled by it!

Most Sincerely,

TREKWEBMASTER
Old 05-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Another thing that I thought I would nevere see in a Trek film... The Beastie Boys.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Ensign

I pay a very high compliment to the producers, cast and crew of Star Trek when I say this: They get it.

They get it. Ten minutes into the movie I was in tears of happiness. Chris Pine is so Captain Kirk. That was young Mr. Spock up on that screen. That was Dr. McCoy. If you were worried the young actors won't live up to these classic, mythical roles, these family members for chrissakes, forget about it. They know who they are playing. They know what it means to us. They get it. And they're excellent ...
Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Ensign

I´ve seen it...

The positive and the negative has already been posted by others.

What do I have to say?

My alltime favorite ST-character (Bones) made me goosepimples at his first appearence. Karl Urban was so f***ing good with his performance, his german voice was another thing. Can´t wait for the DVD to watch the original version.

I´m happy that I´ve ignored all the fuzz created by the so called "haters". STXI is a great movie. It was worth the wait, the money and the time I spend on it.

STXI is a true Trek-movie. And it´s canon, very canon! The alternate timeline perspective has gone, where no movie has gone before. I really could feel, what it means to be in a differend timeline, because I know and love the "old" Trek. There were Movies with alternate timelines outside of Star Trek, but these Movies did not have this background. There has never been a world to be chanched with decades of mainly good storytelling to back it up. This works only with Star Trek, and only with this movie. This was my strongest feeling after leaving the theatre.

But there were three things I really disliked:

1: The shaky camera. I can´t understand the reason behind this.

2: The icemonster.

3: Chekov. But this can be better next time.

Go and watch it, it´s a great experience! It´s much mor than just fun...
Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Ensign

Just got back.........hmmm I don't know, must take a day or two to think about it and then go and watch it again to be sure.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneiko Katratze View Post
1: The shaky camera. I can´t understand the reason behind this.
No only shaky but hardly ever even straight- the more action it seemed the more they had to tilt the cameras... and then the fast movement/blur... I was thinking how much time and money went into those sets and whatnot and then they spend half the moving the camera so fast you can't see anything it could have been the 1960's ship...

I was thinking through the movie that if this was any of the classic/previous trek movies the camera would always be straight... and I'm not convinced the fast-paced camera movements added anything but it didn't really take away much- that's just how these guys like to film things- and it's their job/call to make.

While I think overall this had the best effects (and it SHOULD because it's 7 to 30 years newer then all the other films) I still put the crash landing of the Enterprise D saucer section in Generations as the best single special effect scene in a trek movie.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Midshipman

Thumbs up The Best Star Trek Film.....Period

I was not expecting to like this film as well as the other, especially TWOK, but WOW!!! I love how there are apsects of or nods to every single Star Trek film. I'm going again. And to all of you you have overanalyzed and prejudged the movie before you even gave it a chance....Shame on you. You are missing something special.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Midshipman

Default Karl Urban as McCoy

He alone is reason enough to go see the movie. But, Quinto playing Spock runs a close second. The two of them put to rest any doubt I had.

I also agree with the previous post that said that this movie "is canon, very canon." I could not have said it better.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:47 AM
Commander

I have to say, I thought it was a great, fun movie and--to me--it's absolutely Star Trek. It's worthy of the name and that ship that so many people out here hate definitely earned the name Enterprise in this story.

Equally as important, however: I went with three non-fans. They were people who had kind of been exposed to Star Trek and may have liked some movies but been absolutely bored by others.

My girlfriend:

Quote:
I thought Star Trek was AMAZING! Visually stunning and great plot. I truly think you'll love the movie.
My sister:

Quote:
Im NOT a Trekkie. I grew up with one and kinda sorta just tolerated it growning up. I LOVED this movie. There was nothing cheesy about it and the effects ROCKED. Though, I WAS familiar with classic trek because of my brother...and seeing the interaction of them all from early on was pretty cool. I thought Spock, Bones and Scotty nailed it.
Sister's roommate:

Quote:
What a great movie. I'm hopefully going to see it again Saturday night in Imax.
Three people who were expecting it might be OK and not only loved the movie, but they all absolutely want to see it AGAIN.

I'm going to see it again today. Maybe twice.