The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Commander

Default All I have to say is that those of us who worried, worried needlessly. (no spoilers)

I believe the stars and the director and every member of the film crew upheld Star Trek in it's most cherished traditions. Suprisingly, for an old die hard trekkie, I felt right at home. I think Pine's Kirk was excellent, I particularly enjoyed the characters of Kirk and Pike and their interaction. There were some very nice surprises, and some of the stuff I was really looking forward to didn't turn out to be all that important to the plot, but were still cool. My only dissapointments were a couple of rough editing points that were distracting, other than that, nothing. I was excited and thrilled from the first moment. Respect was shown to what went before, in more ways than one. I have no complaints about that. Just one little tiny detail bothered me, being the caretaker of a handicapped individual. But it had no affect on the entertainment factor of the film, which was immense. All in all a marvellous motion picture, and most enjoyable. Considering that my great love for Star Trek might color my rating of the film somewhat, I'm going to try and overlook that factor and be as brutally honest as I know how to be as I would with any other film and rate it at 3 and 1/2 out of five stars. Not immaculate, (few films even come close to that) but really, really good.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
I believe the stars and the director and every member of the film crew upheld Star Trek in it's most cherished traditions. Suprisingly, for an old die hard trekkie, I felt right at home. I think Pine's Kirk was excellent, I particularly enjoyed the characters of Kirk and Pike and their interaction. There were some very nice surprises, and some of the stuff I was really looking forward to didn't turn out to be all that important to the plot, but were still cool. My only dissapointments were a couple of rough editing points that were distracting, other than that, nothing. I was excited and thrilled from the first moment. Respect was shown to what went before, in more ways than one. I have no complaints about that. Just one little tiny detail bothered me, being the caretaker of a handicapped individual. But it had no affect on the entertainment factor of the film, which was immense. All in all a marvellous motion picture, and most enjoyable. Considering that my great love for Star Trek might color my rating of the film somewhat, I'm going to try and overlook that factor and be as brutally honest as I know how to be as I would with any other film and rate it at 3 and 1/2 out of five stars. Not immaculate, (few films even come close to that) but really, really good.
An honest and well written review, my friend.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

To quote Bosom Buddies: "See? It's all perfectly normal."

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Admiral

I feel like the only person on this site who hasn't seen it yet! Well it must be one helluva movie from what you all are saying. It's nice to see you were won over Bird of Prey. Can't wait to check this thing out!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Ensign

Just got back from the 7pm IMAX in Natick,Ma.I must honestly say that i was very impressed overall.yes,there were a few things that made me go "HUH" ,but the movie just grabs you and doesn't let go.I cannot wait to see where we will "boldly go" from here.Kudos to jj and crew on a difficult task well done.live long and prosper.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Vice Admiral

Dudes, it farking ROCKED. I was expecting an '8.5' but this was a solid '9.5'. I can't wait to see it again!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Ensign

Saw it tonight, loved it!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Lieutenant

Just got home from watching it, and I have one word for it. "Fascinating" I did think it ran a little slow in some areas, but all in all it is definitely "Star Trek" in every sense of the word. The Old Spock and young Kirk meeting was one of my favorite scenes. You could almost see the Love that Spock had for his long lost friend in his eyes. Anyway if you haven't seen it, or don't want to see it, I suggest that you at least view it one time. I truly think you will be amazed by it. I for one will see it again.
Live long and prosper my fellow Trek fan's.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Got back a while ago. This one's in my top 3 now, though I'm not sure where yet. The new Enterprise is absolutely stunning...
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Great movie! A little more background on Nero would have been nice but its just too good to be stopped by nitpicking.