The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
Captain Spike I know who you mean of course, but wheee! space!vampires

(the Starfleet officer in question was Pike...)
*cough* Ooops, typo!

Yeah, Pike..
Old 06-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Midshipman

I have read about the movie here over the past year and knew what was coming, but reserved jugment until I saw the movie for myself.

I finally saw the movie and thought it was a pretty decent action movie. In that regard, it didn't disappoint.

But I didn't care for it as Star Trek ... too many things turned me off, such as the Uhura/Spock makeout session, cadet to captain, the brewery for an engine room and a number of other things. It was like watching The Day After Tomorrow all over again. And I am just too numb to the time travel tool for story telling.

I walked out thinking that another Next Gen movie, or a new crew could have done what they wanted - a origins story seemed unnecessary as the plot was just another villain threatening the Earth and Enterprise crew comes to the rescue. The previous Star Trek story could have been continued, rather than ended.

I saw it once, and that is all I will see it. If they do another one, maybe I'll watch a pirated version so it costs THEM money for me to watch it.

That's my review. For those that are about to call me canonista or some other label, just remember that I gave it a chance and it didn't measure up. Paramount lost me. If that bothers you, too bad.

Cheers
Old 06-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
what was it about the story that you really don't like can you tell me
1) since when are mining vessels more powerful than federation class starships? i.e. miners don't carry missiles, phasers, etc.
2) if an animal can leap out of the snow to attack another animal and then change its mind and chase a man all over kingdom come, shouldn't it be a mammal rather than a lizard? i.e. warm-blooded
3) if i'm marooned on another planet and forced to watch my planet blow up, will i really be close enough that my planet looks as big as a shopping mall? i.e. there's this thing called gravity
4) if i drive a relative/friend's expensive collector's item car into the Grand Canyon, shouldn't i get a beating or at least time in juvie?
5) if my husband serves on a starship assigned to respond to any potentially dangerous anomaly, should i really be giving birth on that ship? should i be all emo when he dies as a soldier knowing that he's in starfleet after all? should i abandon my child 8-10 years later by completing leaving the planet?
6) if i'm a communications officer and i'm smart as hell, outdoing anyone else in my class, should i deliberately withhold information regarding an overheard romulan conversation? should i walk off the bridge multiple times during emergencies without notifying anyone or passing responsibilities onto anyone?
7) if i'm a captain totally enamored by a hero who died saving my life, will i wait until said hero's son is 25, a drunk and rabblerouser before visiting him and encouraging him to enter starfleet on a dare? will i also care so much that i only notice him at all when asked to visit a bar because some of my men are fighting with locals?
8) if i jump off a shuttle in an attempt to land upon a mining tool positioned miles above the earth, will i really be able to breath without an oxygen mask?
9) if i decide to hide my starship behind one of saturn's moons, will it really be so close that saturn's rings intersect with it?
10) if i'm acting captain and fully capable of managing my emotions in an emergency, should i order a student recently promoted to 1st officer to be ejected off the ship for disagreeing with me? i.e. where is the brig?
11) prior series have used transporters to move people/things from surface to ship and underground to ship and from ship to ship but always within a specific range. from planet to ship traveling at warp speed toward another galaxy implies new tech. this is an alternate timestream not alternate time period.
12) assuming black holes act as conduits for time/space travel and i arrive many many years before a catastrophic event (my planet goes byebye) will occur, and i'm so filled with rage that i will sit around for 25 years waiting for spock prime to also eject from the same black hole (being elderly, he took the more scenic route), why haven't i aged? why haven't i gotten homesick for romulan stew or an opportunity to mate? why haven't i found better things to do with my time?
13) assuming spock prime discovered a potentially dangerous situation that could result in the destruction of the romulan home world, given his years of experience and education and reputation, why would he feel compelled to solve the problem alone? is the federation now so well distributed across the stars that such problems crop up from time to time but are deemed trivial so only one scientist need be assigned to help? no starships sent to move citizens out of harm's way just in case? damn. why do we pay federation taxes anyway? are there no romulan scientists even mildly concerned about this potential threat to their homeworld? i.e. the accident that blew up the klingon world was at least believable
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

1) read countdown.
13) read countdown.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0pr1m3d1r3ct1v3 View Post
1) since when are mining vessels more powerful than federation class starships? i.e. miners don't carry missiles, phasers, etc.
Nero asks D'Spal for weapons to help the Narada survive the current crisis. She introduces him to an advanced weapons system of Romulan design which utilizes retrofitted Borg technology. In addition to giving their ships warp, cloaking, and sensor capabilities superior to those of Federation vessels, it also uses self-repairing nanotechnology which can fix any damage and allows it to anticipate potential threats and modify its systems accordingly. As Nero looks on in awe, D'Sal states that the Narada would make a fine prototype for this weapons system.

Quote:
2) if an animal can leap out of the snow to attack another animal and then change its mind and chase a man all over kingdom come, shouldn't it be a mammal rather than a lizard? i.e. warm-blooded
It was a lizard? It dosent seem to me. It have cold-blood? since its a alien and unknow creature i couldnt tell, but by the place he lives he surely its a warm-blooded to me.

Quote:
3) if i'm marooned on another planet and forced to watch my planet blow up, will i really be close enough that my planet looks as big as a shopping mall? i.e. there's this thing called gravity
Yhea, and there are something called fiction, and this kind of things could happen, guess where? in fiction.

Quote:
4) if i drive a relative/friend's expensive collector's item car into the Grand Canyon, shouldn't i get a beating or at least time in juvie?
Well we are not presented whit the aftermath of that, we jump rigth to the adulthood of that child, how can you be so sure he wasnt punished? besides it was his step-father car so in pleadge of his mother he surely go totaly free.

Quote:
5) if my husband serves on a starship assigned to respond to any potentially dangerous anomaly, should i really be giving birth on that ship? should i be all emo when he dies as a soldier knowing that he's in starfleet after all? should i abandon my child 8-10 years later by completing leaving the planet?
1.-The Kelvin was used primarily as a survey vessel. besides any one on board shouldnt be expecting to figth the most friking powerfull vessel of the universe. so yes i will be giving birth on it, they after all was just only investigating a weird space lightning storm.

2.-Well the soldiers are humans you know? if they were senseless there will not be things like the Post traumatic stress disorder, also you are watching the person you love die in front of you, only the most sociopath person will not be such "emo".

3.- Like you say she was a soldier and she has dutyes, she dosent abandon him, she remarried and make his home on Iowa, they let you implie that Kirk dosent like spend time whit his step father and resent his always on duty mother.

Quote:
6) if i'm a communications officer and i'm smart as hell, outdoing anyone else in my class, should i deliberately withhold information regarding an overheard romulan conversation? should i walk off the bridge multiple times during emergencies without notifying anyone or passing responsibilities onto anyone?
I recall she report this in the academy but she was ignored because it was ridiculous that 57 clingon ship were destroyed by a single romulan ship, but i have to se the movie again.

Quote:
7) if i'm a captain totally enamored by a hero who died saving my life, will i wait until said hero's son is 25, a drunk and rabblerouser before visiting him and encouraging him to enter starfleet on a dare? will i also care so much that i only notice him at all when asked to visit a bar because some of my men are fighting with locals?
1.-He doesnt was serching for kirk, it happens just to be a random encounter, he surely dosent know either that he was such a rampant boy.

2.-He cares because ho was his father and surely dosent wanth to see his heroe son end such at this.

Quote:
8) if i jump off a shuttle in an attempt to land upon a mining tool positioned miles above the earth, will i really be able to breath without an oxygen mask?
I see three space swits in that part, one yellow, another red, and the last one blue, all of them whit his full helmet full of oxygen. besides, when they are on top of the plataform, whit the helms out, we are not talking of earth, it is vulcano, you have the exact record at what eigth on vulcano you can no longer breath oxigen? but puting that aside, who ****ing cares? the scene was awesome

Quote:
9) if i decide to hide my starship behind one of saturn's moons, will it really be so close that saturn's rings intersect with it?
Mimas, Enceladus, Telhys, Dione and Rhea intersect whit the E ring of saturn, Titan its on C ring, Pan its on the A ring, an so on, so pick one.

Quote:
10) if i'm acting captain and fully capable of managing my emotions in an emergency, should i order a student recently promoted to 1st officer to be ejected off the ship for disagreeing with me? i.e. where is the brig?
It has stated by the plot that spoke was not in full controll of his emotions, he was al craked up inside, that flaw its what old spoke tell kirk to explode.

Quote:
11) prior series have used transporters to move people/things from surface to ship and underground to ship and from ship to ship but always within a specific range. from planet to ship traveling at warp speed toward another galaxy implies new tech. this is an alternate timestream not alternate time period.
Now they can urray¡¡ besides, spoke said that the feat to acomplish that was only a correct matematic ecuation, that no one has ever tryed before dosent mean it dosent can be done.

Quote:
12) assuming black holes act as conduits for time/space travel and i arrive many many years before a catastrophic event (my planet goes byebye) will occur, and i'm so filled with rage that i will sit around for 25 years waiting for spock prime to also eject from the same black hole (being elderly, he took the more scenic route), why haven't i aged? why haven't i gotten homesick for romulan stew or an opportunity to mate? why haven't i found better things to do with my time?
He was not siting down, he was in held by clingons (that dosent help to his mental state) until his men find him an release him destroing 57 clingon ships in the process (the signal that Uhura intercepts) read countdown and all your questions in this point will be answered.

Quote:
13) assuming spock prime discovered a potentially dangerous situation that could result in the destruction of the romulan home world, given his years of experience and education and reputation, why would he feel compelled to solve the problem alone? is the federation now so well distributed across the stars that such problems crop up from time to time but are deemed trivial so only one scientist need be assigned to help? no starships sent to move citizens out of harm's way just in case? damn. why do we pay federation taxes anyway? are there no romulan scientists even mildly concerned about this potential threat to their homeworld? i.e. the accident that blew up the klingon world was at least believable
Again read countdown.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Midshipman

I have seen the movie five times, and I think it's absolutely wonderful. The well-crafted multi-dimensional plot is driven by the strong and powerful performances of an outstanding cast. As an extremely critical person who has obsessively watched every Star Trek television show and movie produced, I was actually quite hesitant to see this movie made, out of fear it would fail to live up to the Star Trek name. I am glad I gave it a chance. It definitely exceeded my expectations and is now one of my all time favorite movies. I already have plans for my 6th viewing.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Midshipman

Default Great movie!

Finally saw the movie & I was very happy with it. Got goose bumps on my goose bumps when Leonard Nimoy entered the picture. What a legacy he has! Wished they would have played more of the original soundtrack. The "newbies" really nailed the characters, especially Bones. Well done! Thought William Shatner should have ended the movie with his rendition of "Space, the final frontier........" That would have been the cherry on the sundae.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Midshipman

Default My 2 Cents

Last Wednesday I saw the new Star Trek movie. I had been looking forward to it, but I was very disappointed.
It's got a very good story, and is very well acted, but the cinematography and editing are so awful (the worst I've ever seen) that I cannot recommend it to anyone. I found it rather unpleasant to watch.
The exorbitant abuse of camera wobble and shake as well as tizzying scene cuts substantially negate much of the value in the rest of the production.
Shots with stable imagery are included but uncommon. Better results could have been had by handing a camcorder to palsied toddler.
The production is also greatly devalued by incessant flashing flare; often blasting the entire screen, at other times consisting of floating baubles (supposedly representing pseudo lens artifacts), and an
almost obsessive display of meaningless horizontal blue lines. It's all very annoying.
One wonders whether the Director of Photography suffers some psychotic obsession that compels him to attempt to recreate imagery from a bad drug trip.
Apparently lacking the competence to rouse the audience with actual cinematic skill, he routinely resorts to violently shaking images in a vain attempt to add excitement to a shot.
I suppose it might be possible to salvage this motion picture by re-doing the post-production from scratch;
but the fact that it made it to the screen in this sorry state in the first place makes it seem unlikely that there's anyone at Paramount able even to recognize that there's a problem.

My rating: One-half of a star.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:43 AM
Vice Admiral

How can you say that the opening scene was pure Trek every single moment was Trek to me I loved the whole movie

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 07-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Federation Councillor

Well, no film pleases everyone - for whatever reason.

courtesy of Saquist