The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Lieutenant

I've been a Trek fan for over 30 years and I thought the movie was just awesome. I liked the way they explained the differences in the timeline, and also the way that you once again got an appreciation of the size of these ships; battle scenes in DS9 and ST FC were more akin to Star Wars while this one showed you that moving a hundred thousand tonnes or so or mass in space isn't easy.

Only part I didn't like - Kirk saves the planet, fine, give him a medal and promote him to Lieutenant. However, promoting him from Ensign to Captain would never happen. The Academy can provide the professional knowledge but it would take years to accumulate the necessary experience and judgement to be able to command a Ship.

Worf - "Die."

Last edited by Observer : 05-28-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Vice Admiral

well maybe the academy thought he was brave I loved it when he became captain like what is wrong with that

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
I've been a Trek fan for over 30 years and I thought the movie was just awesome. I liked the way they explained the differences in the timeline, and also the way that you once again got an appreciation of the size of these ships; battle scenes in DS9 and ST FC were more akin to Star Wars while this one showed you that moving a hundred thousand tonnes or so or mass in space isn't easy.

Only part I didn't like - Kirk saves the planet, fine, give him a medal and promote him to Lieutenant. However, promoting him from Ensign to Captain would never happen. The Academy can provide the professional knowledge but it would take years to accumulate the necessary experience and judgement to be able to command a Ship.

There is no indication how much time passed since the Narada destruction. Perhaps a year or 3 went by. We don't know. Who says he went right from Ensign to Capt? Just like people assume the Enterprise took minutes to get to Vulcan. Bones had time to change from his cadet uniform into his familiar blue shirt along the way. This is movie time, people.

Although it could have used a "3 years later" caption to show Kirk getting his promotion.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

My Friend,
Long Time Trek Fan,
and just a little crazy, Linda.

"Let's do a time travel movie so that Kirk and Spock will look different and be way more cooler so Star trek will appeal to all the young people who didn't used to like star trek.

Going back in time changed Kirk's history. No younger brother named Sam, no life in this earth colony where people starved to death, none of that.

What I didn't understand is how the altered universe changed Spock's upbringing at all. I had often imagined that the reason Spock really joined Star Fleet was because of Vulcan bigotry. In the part where Spock turns down the Vulcan Sciences Academy, the statement about Spock achieving so much and how remarkable it was for him to have achieved as much as he did when he was half human told me that the writers get it.

Spock was a child of two cultures. Having to be ten times as good to be thought of as barely acceptable. The part that surprised me was when Uhura is assigned to the Farragut and she obviously does not like that assignment. So, she goes to Spock and he explains that he wishes to avoid the appearance of favoritism. She keeps on talking and click click click, she is now assigned to the Enterprise. Hmmmmm. Spock is so whipped.

The turbolift scene where she holds Spock is the counter punch where we see why Spock is so whipped. There is no Nurse Chapel in this movie, Spock's mother dies, Vulcan is destroyed, and there is no way this altered universe is ever going to be the same place again. What does this mean? No Deep Space Nine? No Jean Luc Picard? No Voyager? No Seven of Nine?

Hmmmmm. Oh well, maybe they can do another tv series??? Deep Space Nine with two actors to play Odo instead of one? One male and the other female? The Borg who, instead of assimilating you, sell you dependable cars (Saturn) that last a really long time and take you on picnics after singing to you? "

Thanks for the review!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
What does this mean? No Deep Space Nine? No Jean Luc Picard? No Voyager? No Seven of Nine?
Yes. Thats what happens when we use scifi to open up limitless possibilities. The ones we dont like in addition to the ones we do. The whole bruhaha is because someone chose to explore it against some peoples insistance that he dont. People who accepted as fact that that the world was flat might as well have been mad at Columbus. Quite a few didnt even want him to explore the possibity. Luckily others did.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

I agree with here...
It's so much more complicated than that.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Ensign

I have seen it three times already and I'm up to go again (normally I only see a film once at the cinema but I can't stay away from this one!)

I have been a Trek fan since I was 4 and I loved this film, almost everything about it.

I actually enjoy it more each time I go see it. And the best thing is I had some friends along with me who had never seen Trek before and one of them wants to have a "Trekathon" of the original series because she loves the characters so much she wants to know more. A lot more.
All of them loved the film.

I have the action figures, am cosplaying from it and we even took phasers to the third viewing dammit!

I read the prequel graphic novel before I went the third time and it does help you care more about the Romulans, which was good.

I loved the cast. Pine epitomises Kirk, his energy is infectious. I couldn't not like him. Quinto is just right as Spock. I love Urban's cranky but caring Bones and Sulu and Chekov are so cute!

I was doubtful about Simon Pegg as a choice for Scotty but I was happily wrong! He was brilliant.

The only thing that didn't work for me was Uhura.
She was alright at the start, though perhaps a little spunky.
Sadly, though, she was relegated to Spock's woman half way through the film (I was as shocked as Kirk) and spent the rest of the film making sure he was OK and fretting over him. That turned her's into such a generic role and thus did not impress me.
(The film audience I was with actually laughed at the line "I'll be monitoring your frequency." I got the feeling they remained unmoved too.)

Quote:
And he wasn't even an ensign! Bones, Kirk and Uhuru never finished their training (unless that scene was one year later but the stuff with Spock just after and the fact they made a point the promotion was because of the mission they had just completed I feel this is unlikely). However, he did show he already HAD the judgement to captain a starship and, though he only had one mission, it was about the most dramatic you could get as a Captain. Some Captains with 20 years experience may never get the chance to participate in a mission of such scale. To acklowledge his capability seemed logical.

Anyway, who would want to try and Captain him? As soon as the captain got out of the chair he would be in it. He'd drive any other captain nuts (as we saw in the film). We also needed to have that bridge crew and we know Kirk is the captain who would chose that exact crew (well, maybe Spock would too but I think Spock is rather over trying to be Kirk's captain).

Quote:
There is no indication how much time passed since the Narada destruction. Perhaps a year or 3 went by. We don't know. Who says he went right from Ensign to Capt? Just like people assume the Enterprise took minutes to get to Vulcan. Bones had time to change from his cadet uniform into his familiar blue shirt along the way. This is movie time, people.
Well, Bones and Uhura, were still there in cadet uniform (in the audience) and we know they only had a year to go (3 years had passed since they started, takes 4 years to graduate). If it had been more than a year they would not be cadets.

Last edited by Red Tsar : 06-01-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Vice Admiral

well do you think it was cool when he wore that yellow top when he became captain

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 06-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Vice Admiral

I just loved the original series William Shatner was great but he sometimes acted weird in some episodes

Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Midshipman

How do I get my money back? And how do I let Paramount know that I thought this was such a stinker that I won't be buying my kids any of the toys they are pushing , or the unhealthy meals at BK to get the cheap glasses? I won't be buying it on Blu Ray and I don't care if I ever see another thing to do with Star Trek again. That's how bad this was. And it wasn't the costumes or the ugly redesign of the ship. It was the awful story that JJ cooked up.