The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Captain

I keep reading all the "true fan" comments, (paraphrased) "not my Star Trek", "Abrams killed Star Trek", "threw the canon out with the bathwater", blahblahblah.

Have any of the "true fans" noticed that the first week's take is approximately half the total production cost? Half in one week. At this rate they'll have the thing paid for and starting to count the profits by mid June.

Four years ago Trek was dead. Now there is a bright future ahead.

Star Trek Lives.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
I keep reading all the "true fan" comments, (paraphrased) "not my Star Trek", "Abrams killed Star Trek", "threw the canon out with the bathwater", blahblahblah.

Have any of the "true fans" noticed that the first week's take is approximately half the total production cost? Half in one week. At this rate they'll have the thing paid for and starting to count the profits by mid June.

Four years ago Trek was dead. Now there is a bright future ahead.

Star Trek Lives.
Oh yes, oh yes! Star Trek Lives! indeed!!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Ensign

Live long and prosper.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Lieutenant

Great movie, loved it, will be seeing it again, want a sequel.

Any complaints would only be that I'd like to see the movie's progression relax a little from the fast pace in XI. The move was still good nonetheless, but I would have spent more time on some of the more emotional details in, and background of the story's development.

Still the same, I'm hoping for any announcement(s) regarding a sequel. In other words to quote Charles Dickens: "Please sir, may I have some more?".
Old 05-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Midshipman

I went to the cinema with my boyfriend and he wanted to see this film but I was reluctant. I´m glad I finally went in and saw it. I loved it. I was especially fascinated with the character of Spock, the scenes from his childhood, his personality half vulcan half human, the building of his friendship with captain Kirk and the scenes with Uhura, the final scene when he enters the Enterprise and the crew is complete. I am really looking forward to a sequel to see more of this character. The cast was great and I think Zachary Quinto did an excellent job!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Midshipman

I saw the movie in a small city in Canada and loved it. Here's my review:

A roaring adventure that spans multiple dimensions of sensory input. You are moved to cry, to laugh, to tingle with excitement beyond the level of the expected norm for a sci-fi thriller. A thriller it was, but the fast-paced action was interspersed with just the right amount of poignant character drama that was at the same time nostalgic, and fresh, and ranged from extremely touching to hilariously funny. The real genius was in re-booting the franchise, yet keeping the original history, stories, and characters in tact. The actors put on stellar performances, overcoming the huge challenges involved in not only bringing the emotional content of the script to life, but superbly emulating the style of the original actors. A double challenge that surely was not easy, with the performers mindful that their every eyelash movement would be analysed to death by millions of fans devoted to the original incarnation.
That’s not to say that if you go mining, you can’t dig up some holes, or fall into some traps. The cliches were there, too - but it didn’t seem to matter because of the emotional ride and just plain fun.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Midshipman

Default Star Trek lives, yes, but the spirit of Star Trek has been killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanSince1968 View Post

Is this the direction that Star Trek will be taking now?
(...)
I don't know how many like me are out there.
(...)
I grew up on Star Trek.
(...)
It's like a very trusted and dear friend that I love.
(...)
They've taken my trusted friend and stripped him of his mind and of his meaning.
(...)
It's tough to watch something you love die.
(...)

My friend, you are not alone.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Midshipman

The only thing I thought that was out of place, was the crew sliding down the ropes when they were evacuating the Kelvin.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Midshipman

Amazing!!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist
Heres the truth.
I like Pine better as Kirk than Shatner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
His acting was more natural, But Shatner has very specific style, that is rather unique to him.

Overall, Pine did very, very well.
Pine was absolutely terrific. I hate to compare directly, but I might actually like him better, too. For now I'll say he's as good as Shatner's rendition, and the actor did an amazing job of putting in a good amount of that style Shatner has.