The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoclar View Post
Had a big night planned movie film and then to local nightclub
1st my bank susspended my card so no money was lucky i had booked my seats secondly seeing the film was worst thing eve 45mins into i was like omg is this for real...yes it was for real i needed a pee and didnt wanna miss anything so i tried to keep watching but i couldnt sit still and tried to keep my legs crossed and couldnt sit still it just ruined my night apart from that i loved the film not enough trek like but a very good film and it done its job at getting more interest into star trek so hopefully the next one will be a lil more trekkie like but still i loved the film and will go again on thursday with a bottle to pee in if i get desperate again
Glad you enjoyed the movie but I felt compelled to read that like an auctioneer.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Sold!!!!!

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him, it was really quite hypnotic."
Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister2 View Post
Sold!!!!!

(four characters)
Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Midshipman

To JJ,Damon and the cast and crew: from the bottom of my trekkie heart, THANK YOU. May you live long and prosper.
The curse of the odd numbered trek movie is officially broken
Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Midshipman

2 thumbs up. This film is not only far superior to any Trek film or franchise, it blows away any reboot-redo-sequal-prequal-dequal-shmequal from any fictional universe you could name. I've been front and center for 1 syndicated series, 4 firstrun series and 11 films now. This one leaves them all stranded on Ceti Alpha V.

The future is bright. I might just upgrade to Blueray for this.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Midshipman

Whoever His Preferred Deity Is, If Any, bless JJ Abrams!

I saw the movie yesterday and was completely delighted. It was better than I dared hope, amazingly hitting one true note after another. I've watched Star Trek since the first episode was aired, and this is one of the best chapters of the saga. Four of the reviews I read used the adjective "joyous," and that's accurate for me.

Chris Pine blew me away. Maybe half a dozen times in the course of the film a gesture or look was absolutely one of William Shatner's/Kirk's, but I woudl swear it wasn't studied -- the moments just seemed to rise up naturally out of his total immersion in the role. A Master Thespian! Seriously, he's an artist, it's just hard to tell when he's being beaten to a pulp. ;-) I'm so grateful JJA found him!

And Zachary Quinto -- when he's on screen as Spock, you can't take your eyes off him. He's pitch-perfect, emotionally. The rest of the cast inhabited their various roles, too, not doing impressions or slavishly mimicking their elders, but bringing a Star Trek essence to the entire (forgive me) enterprise.

It's amazing to me that they created this wonderfully alive and fresh movie while staying perfectly true to the spirit of the original, and how they honored the original cast without imitating them.

Ah, now I've got it...it's as if they're channeling the characters themselves, that were first portrayed by the original cast but have, over these last 45 year (!), evolved into archetypes. Avatars, that's what these actors are -- they create the space into which the characters can show up.

I'm going to go back and see it in IMAX. These people have made me very, very happy. May they live long and prosper and make more of these!

Last edited by spe999 : 05-11-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: more exact writing
Old 05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleup! View Post
2 thumbs up. This film is not only far superior to any Trek film or franchise, it blows away any reboot-redo-sequal-prequal-dequal-shmequal from any fictional universe you could name. I've been front and center for 1 syndicated series, 4 firstrun series and 11 films now. This one leaves them all stranded on Ceti Alpha V.

The future is bright. I might just upgrade to Blueray for this.
Nice tag line slash Name...
Welcome aboard, Buckleup.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Midshipman

I admit I was scared to see what Abrams had done with Star Trek, but this was fantastic! Casting especially was spot on!

My only concern now is: Can they maintain this high level through sequels?

/first post
Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Ensign

Star Trek has successfully rebooted the franchise. With a combination of character development, plot, and action sequences, this is what Star Trek should have been.

The first third of the movie deals with the origins of Kirk and Spock. The second third deals with the Academy days, where McCoy and Uhura are introduced. The final third deals with the plot of the movie and we're introduced to the rest of the characters.

There was not one dull moment in the film and it felt like few seconds instead of two hours. Star Trek is truly reborn into the 21st Century.