The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Captain

There's a new sheriff in town.

(Don't worry, Shat. We still love you.)
Old 05-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Ensign

Default My feelings on Movie it Self

I know i said other things about the movie but I have not said anything about by its self.

I think it was a Well done Movie , The casting was great. The action was more than I thought it to be. I wish the story part was longer and more detail .Very fast non stop action.I like also that kirks fathers uniform was close to the uniforms on ST Enterprise, So it was easy to beleve it was a time right after ST Enterprise. I think Abrams did a ok job making the movie for older trek fans and new ones . Like i said in other threads this noway replace the older trek Universe. this is just another trek Universe that will get new fan types to like Trek. I hate when people say trek is dead . It is far from dead. its bigger than ever now.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I went to see the movie yesterday. After being a Trek fan for over 30yrs and seeing what a mess it had become I came to the conclusion that if this movie didn't fly then Trek was dead. For the record, Trek is alive and invigorated: If this is the future of Trek then the future looks great!

The special effects, far and away, left everything done before well behind. The new actors did fine jobs in their iconic roles, the transporter is much improved in it's precise and finicky nature, and the whole look and feel on the new Star Trek future is totally engrossing because every little aspect of the future isn't polished and sterile looking... In an odd way, it's eminently believable, right down to seeing a big radioactive warning symbol painted on a storage tank onboard the Enterprise. The new Enterprise is a fine ship, and I love the way it's engineering section is cavernous and industrial, much like you'd expect from a great ocean liner with fine decks everywhere but needing a great, churning engine with pipes and turbines to power the great beast.

The story was a good one on many levels. For sure, the biggest was because we didn't have to sit through the usual, heavy-handed pontificating and moral proselytizing about how we should be living our lives. The characters finally felt more like real people as opposed to walking anthropomorphisms of lofty ideals... Now THAT was refreshing! There was well-executed pathos and a lot of much needed humor in STXI; the Vulcan bully scene, Kirk meeting McCoy, and Scotty's introduction to the Enterprise standout. Casting, it seems, was done quite well. Only Pine seemed a little off to me, but then he's supposed to younger and wilder than the original Shatner Kirk; thankfully, it doesn't take too long to get into Pine as the new James T Kirk. Nero was smartly kept fairly 2-dimensional to make sure the villain didn't hijack the storyline with an over-developed back story.

The story and the overall movie were fantastic, so much so I almost didn't mind the time-travel aspect of the movie. Still, I didn't really appreciate seeing Nimoy Spock, even though he did a good job with all his scenes... The original 60s show is still my favorite, but I'm hopeful that this will the last intrusion of the old guard. Trek needs to move on and focus on good stories and good characters, not the wooden acting, silly plot twists, and painful time travel gimmicks that helped make it terrible in the last 10yrs or so. No more clinging to the past for fear of offending "die-hards" and no more whining about canon... Just give us good, character driven stories without the pretense, please, because everything old became new again! In any event, I still have my DVDs when I want to watch Shatner go toe-to-toe with Montalban.

Anyone who says they hated it because it's not like old Trek should be ignored because, frankly, that was the point of the movie: To reinvigorate and save the franchise. This movie is worth watching for anyone who likes to have a good time at the movies, sci-fi fan or not. I would encourage anyone who likes being entertained to go and see this film! And to fellow Trek fans: Strangely, the future feels more attainable now... How about that, a little of my old Trek optimism has returned... How nice!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
There's a new sheriff in town.

(Don't worry, Shat. We still love you.)
really awesome.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Midshipman

Default podcast review

10-minute podcast review ... explanation of time travel, Spock Prime, and young Spock
Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Midshipman

Default "rookie" here, saw "Star Trek" four times!

hey, y'all!

first off, sorry if i seem to ignore some posts or questions. i may NOT be ignoring someone, i might simply be VERY BUSY!

s'all right? S'ALL RIGHT! ;>

i have seen "Star Trek" four times, now. first was Thursday night, at a cozy spot in San Jose (i am in the San Francisco South Bay...). just picked this afternoon to return to the same place 'cause there seemed to be nothing better to do...

i am a "Trekkie" from the word "GO!" i LOVED every show and movie, EVEN the ones that SUCKED! i was born two weeks before The Old Show premiered, and, while i was simply too young to remember much at all, mom and dad DID watch the three year run AND the re-runs!

MY take on the film? ... amazing! wild! "fascinating!" (;>) ... fans OR non-fans should LOVE this movie! it departs JUST ENOUGH from "the story," but manages to stay true! ... my favorite HAD BEEN "The Voyage Home," but this DOES run a close second!

(oh, and, just between you, me, and THE REST of the web browsing world, i openly WEPT when the first image of The Enterprise appeared! SHE'S THE REASON WE'RE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! ;>)

do you have your collectibles, yet?!? in front of me, right now, is a Zoe Saldana Autograph card from the NEW movie card product! i DO have a spare Kirk Uniform card, and i would prefer to "talk trade" on this one, since it looks like i will be assembling THAT set!

any ideas?!? ;>

so, please excuse me, but, i have to return to this Alyssa Milano movie... ;>
Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Commander

I've only seen it twice so far, but a third time will be coming up this week.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Commander

LOL I got my BK cups! http://ditroi.deviantart.com/art/My-...hing-122143949

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Midshipman

hey! "rookie" on this board, "Trekkie" from the word "GO!"

i have seen the film four times, first was Thursday night. ... MY take? amazing! wild! fans OR non-fans should LOVE this film! "The Voyage Home" IS my favorite, but this runs a close second! ;>
Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Ensign

The only autograph I have is where Nichelle Nichols signed her station in my old Technical Manual, though I have seen or met all of TOS cast members at some point.
I Thess 5:21

"There is an old Vulcan saying, only Nixon could go to China." - Spock

"Space is disease and danger, wrapped up in darkness and silence." - Leonard McCoy