The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Did you see the movie? Post SPOILER FREE reviews & thoughts here
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Midshipman

I took the day off for this! A 30 year fan and I haven't done THAT since The Voyage Home. Love it or hate it, this will win over some new fans and unfortunately, alienate some old ones. I thought it was bloody marvelous by the way. Thumbs up!

To the skeptics -- at least give it a chance. What if NBC hadn't given Gene Roddenberry a chance 43 years ago?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Midshipman

I think anyone who sees this film and criticizes it because it doesnt look or feel as if it were produced in the sixties or eighties will be in the smallest segment of trekkies. Some people will not like the film for a variety of reasons (too nostalgic and resistant to change in my opinion) they are entitled to their opinion. However judging by the applause in the theatre tonight here in Florida the new Trek is here to stay and I cant wait for the next installment of this resurrected and revamped series. I believe Gene Roddenberry would be proud to be associated with this true to cannon, true to the vision of TOS, film.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Midshipman

Incredible I loved it. It was so fun, so great. I was all giddy at the references. We all clapped at the end.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Midshipman

Amazing very realistic portrayal of the characters, was geat to immerse in the world of Star Trek once again with original characters. Cannot fault the movie at all Well done Abrams
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The opening made me cry.

CRY.

It was breathtaking.

The whole movie was great. It never slowed down, and JJ did it so well that it didn't really need to slow down.

I really wish they kept all the deleted scenes in the movie though. To balance out how fast paced the movie already is they should've had the foresight to leave in as much as possible.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Midshipman

YES Redshirts,

I also cried during the first 5 minutes -- and that wasn't the only time...
Old 05-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Midshipman

Default My review.

I am like most of people around here a huge Start Trek fan.

I watch the trailers and even though the graphics look very good it looked more like an action film than a real Star Trek. It looked good but it did not look Star Trek.

Cause behind Star Trek is whole philosophy , it is not a Star Wars fairy tale , because it tries to predict the Future , even though some exaggeration is added for the sake of drama. It is however one of the very few if not the Only , serious SCI FI.

So as many Trekkie out there feared that this film will disappoint me greatly.

Another reason is that unlike many people out there I am not a JJ ABRAMS fan. LOST does not excite me , even though I must admit is well made. And his last film COVERFIELD even though I am a big fan of moster movies , I found it TERRIBLE.

But when I went to see this movie I was blown away.

Ok Let say I understand the fact that his movie has the most AMAZING Effects I have ever seen in any MOVIE in my LIFE TIME. IT blows away any other movie in its path.

OK let us say that I felt comfortable that the movie respects the Star Trek Philosophy , and vaporates all my fears.

But HOW, HOW ON EARTH did he take a cast of inexperienced actors and turn them to EXACT replicates of the original crew???

I was blow away , not because JJ Abrams clones the unclonable but also expands the characers in ways unthinkable.

For examle is the FIRST time that all the crew plays an important role. In most other movies only Bones, Kirk and Spok take the biggest part of the movie , in this one , every character is polished and ready to perform its best.

Second , how on earth did manage to tell us so much about SPOK? Why the previous movies did not do it and this one does?

Ok now let say What I did not like.

First , the central theme of the movie is Boring. I am tried of the time machine stories that have been polluting Star Trek for so long. It is old , tried many many times and for all trek fan nothing original.

Of course the Scenario is very well done, it is probably one of the best Start Trek scenarios out there, and makes you forget the boring theme and concentrate on what really happens which is so carefully crafted as a story and character interaction that you cannot escape its enchantment.

My second objection is the BAD GUY, Nero. Dont get me wrong he is a fine actor, but surprisingly he never gets enough time to develop his character. There is mostly the original star trek crew. The movie makes us understand his motives , but we never have time to understand who he really is.

The previous start trek movie was not like this one but he had a bad guy the alter ego of picard that really sends us deep into the dark side of picard and made probably the best Villan (or almost the best if you count the Khan, In Warth OF Kahn or the evil Klingon general in Undiscovered country ).

But in this one , the bad guys play only a tiny role in the movie.

However the movie is awesome, it rates as high as the last Batman, with wonderful performance, excellent art, amazing directing and a very solid yet complex Story line that fully respects and dare expand the Star Trek ethos.

Even women did like it !!! and this hard to do in my country. (Greece). It pains me that the Theater was only half full, but here weare no big Sci fi or Star Trek fans. Well, they missed something amazing.

So After the movie the only question remains --->I am sure there is going to be a sequel to this , but When are we going to see the new series on TV with this new cast mr Abbrams ?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
And, this in a movie with SPOCK!!!
And what is better than a movie with SPOCK!?

Two Spocks!!!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Midshipman

That a was a good interview. You looked little nervous though. Still a good job.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
Incredible I loved it. It was so fun, so great. I was all giddy at the references. We all clapped at the end.
Giddy, incredible, great and FUN: just for starters!

Love the characters - holy COW, how did they hit them so dead on! The movie was awesome, literally. I hope to see it at least 5 or 6 more times before it leaves the big screen. Of course there were a few annoyances - what movie doesn't have them? - but fortunately they don't destroy the show...they're soon forgotten in the fast pace.

As someone who grew up on Star Trek (child of the 60's), I'm so happy to see it "resurrected" for this generation and hope it stays the course. It's off to an incredible start!