The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Time Travel - A Gentler Take
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Ensign

Default Time Travel - A Gentler Take

Well, if you think ST has issues with time travel... just look at the poor Terminator series! :P HAHAHA

and with regard to canon and timelines... if John Conner can't get this thing straightened out... the machine wars will have killed humanity so of course there won't be any of the original timeline left :P

Sorry, trying to inject a little humor, and since I'm also a big fan of the Terminator series, well...

I mean no offense to anyone, btw, just some good natured humor...
Jason
Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Lieutenant

If time travel come true, I will go back to middle ages. I want to be a knight, that's so cool.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Captain

"The probability of a macroscopic object--like a human--doing this trick is infinitesimal. But thanks to Albert Einstein we know that time travel of a different sort does happen in the macroscopic world. As he showed back in 1905 with his special theory of relativity, time slows down for objects moving close to the speed of light, at least from the viewpoint of a stationary observer. You want to visit the earth 1,000 years from now? Just travel to a star 500 light-years away and return, going both ways at 99.995% the speed of light. When you return, the earth will be 1,000 years older, but you'll have aged only 10 years. I already know a time traveler. My friend, astronaut Story Musgrave, who helped repair the Hubble Space Telescope, spent 53.4 days in orbit. He is thus more than a millisecond younger than he would have been if he had stayed home. The effect is small, because he traveled very slowly relative to the speed of light, but it's real." - Richard J. Gott III, April 10, 2000

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...996610,00.html