The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > We have to go.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Okay...I have no cute cannon pictures....but I agree, we have to go. This is the fulcrum for Star Trek. Either it goes forward and continues or it dies. Do we, the senior members of the clan, have issues? Of course we do....should we let those issues kill the franchise? Of course we should not. We need to do and we need to be open to the changes we know are happening because face it, it cannot be Kirk vs. the Gorn forever....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Okay...I have no cute cannon pictures....but I agree, we have to go. This is the fulcrum for Star Trek. Either it goes forward and continues or it dies. Do we, the senior members of the clan, have issues? Of course we do....should we let those issues kill the franchise? Of course we should not. We need to do and we need to be open to the changes we know are happening because face it, it cannot be Kirk vs. the Gorn forever....
So Say We ALL!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Regardless of the extenuating circumstances, if we don't pack those theaters and buy those tickets, the studio will think nobody cares anymore and the show that has had more cultural and technological influence than any other, will cease to exist with this film.
Until the movie studios run out of ideas again and reboot the franchise yet again because lord knows original ideas are commercial suicide. grumble. grumble.

my wife and me have tickets already and i'm actually really excited to see the movie.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't know if this will help some 'veterans' or other fans here, but...

I've been around TREK since almost the beginning, having only missed the original network series due to my very young age but I was on board from the first syndication a couple years later.

I find that many of these 'canon' questions and concerns tended to fall away while seeing Abrams' film and thereafter, because if nothing else the experience of seeing the movie ends it from being an unknown. There's plenty of canon in it, but many of you will realize that Abrams' TREK doesn't begin and end only with canon, which is one of its strengths.

There is a lot of sameness going on, and a lot of newness -- if you walk into the movie with a checklist and clipboard of canon requirements to check off (and not Chekov), then you're going to miss the point of the film regardless, so fulfill your own prophecy at your own peril.

I think many of you will rightly find that this is simply a new TREK to be experienced, and I for one cannot imagine wasting time on a fear that somehow the TREK I grew up with has been altered one frame or impinged upon one memory.

It's more TREK, new TREK which means new feelings, a new story and new memories to be forged by it.

I have room in mind and heart to enjoy it all, and I am doing so happily.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Commander

I think I can vouch for this movie also.

I saw it at the Red Carpet event in Hollywood last week, and I was really happy with it.

It's different, but familiar, a lot of fun, heartbreaking at points, and is now my top Trek movie.

Maybe even more that The Wrath Of Khan.

This is why I'm seeing in on Thursday in IMAX, Friday at the Arclight in Hollywood, and Saturday at a different IMAX.

All tickets have been purchased, seats booked and travel arrangements made.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
Cool down.

Anyway the word is Canon.

This is a cannon...
Sorry but the real Cannon is a big fat guy from the 70's.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
So Say We ALL!
So say we ALL!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Very good post. We, as fans, have to rally behind this film regardless of what we think of it. This is a chance for us to make a difference and make sure that Star Trek lives on.
(Sadly, I won't be able to see it until May 24th, and that's only because that's when it arrives here.)
Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Lieutenant Commander

This is a Canon.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Regardless of how one feels about canon (and you all know how I feel about that), regardless of how afraid we might be of a communicable disease, we have to be in that theater this weekend. If we don't, it will mean the end of Star Trek. Regardless of the extenuating circumstances, if we don't pack those theaters and buy those tickets, the studio will think nobody cares anymore and the show that has had more cultural and technological influence than any other, will cease to exist with this film. I believe Star Trek is important. It's only a television show some might say, but I believe it's more. It's human thought,and human creativity (Dare i say it? Yes i must) evolving. It's an idealized vision of our future. Sure, it will never come to pass in exactly the way Star Trek portrayed it, and we may never as a race, survive long enough to leap between the stars in mighty starships, but we must continue to hope and to dream. We must continue to work toward a better future for all humanity and Star Trek is part of that work and that vision, as our camp fire tales were in 10000 B.C. and Greek theater was in 1000 B.C. and Shakespeare was in the late 1500's and early 1600's, and "Gone With The Wind" was in the 1930's. Our literature and entertainment help drive us forward just like other parts of our history do. The past leads us into the present, and the present leads us into the future. So if you're angry about the changes, that's okay, like RUSH once sang "He knows changes aren't permanent, but change is.", so buy your ticket and go and enjoy what hasn't changed and the things that remind you of what was good about Star Trek as it was. And if the flu has you wary, then put on your mask and drink some immunity booster and buy a ticket and go. Because if Star Trek is going to go on, this is the only chance we're going to get to see that it does. So whether you really feel like it or not, buy your ticket and go. Like L.Q. "Sonny" Clemens once said in an episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "Hell, it ain't nothin' but somethin' ta' do!".
Why? They don't want us there. They want Chet Quarterback and Susie Promqueen. They want Joebob Sixpack and his sisterwife Lurleen.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."