The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Fans Speak Out En Masse Against Star Trek XI
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Ensign

While I understand The Onion and their take on humor, this is just pure laziness on their part. Even considering their history of lazy minimal thought humor, this is a standout.

Trek is tapped out in the respect of people making fun of it. Move on. There are plenty of other sci-fi franchises that can be milked for stupid immature negative stereotypical humor.

In this case I get the joke....it just isn't funny anymore. Not after decades of people taking pot-shots at Trek. To me, this is just another jerk or group of jerks belittling something that I have a vested interest in.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Vice Admiral

It was great. And just for full disclosure I had never heard The Onion before.

People can call it old lame jokes that have been done to death. Well... the things they made fun of are alive and kicking as well. So it works both ways. Besides, even Star Wars pales in comparison to Trek fandom. Its in a special category all its own so it actually deserves this kind of attention.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byteman View Post
While I understand The Onion and their take on humor, this is just pure laziness on their part. Even considering their history of lazy minimal thought humor, this is a standout.

Trek is tapped out in the respect of people making fun of it. Move on. There are plenty of other sci-fi franchises that can be milked for stupid immature negative stereotypical humor.

In this case I get the joke....it just isn't funny anymore. Not after decades of people taking pot-shots at Trek. To me, this is just another jerk or group of jerks belittling something that I have a vested interest in.
Lighten up dude.

I love stuff like Galaxy Quest and this onion video.

You gotta learn to laugh at yourself sometimes. It's fun.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Commander

Indeed. If anything, the video's send up the people who give Trek fandom a bad name - rather than just condemning the franchise outright. After all, that story was plainly written by someone who knows Trek well enough to reference individual episodes and obscure species, as well as writing those "fans" well enough to make them seem real.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Besides, if hearing the first "fan" (the chick) say: "Where's the heavy handed social commentary?" wasn't an immediate clue that this was just a joke....oy.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Rear Admiral

I for on am offended...I intend to write Ralph Nader about this!....lol....C'mon people it was a joke. If you cannot laugh at your self then you can't laugh at any one.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Captain

Treksters are not widely known for their ability to laugh at themselves. Or anything else, for that matter.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Ensign

I haven't seen the movie, but as Donny Deutch likes to ask, "How do you know when you've gone off-brand"?

Because like the reboot of Knight Rider, Kojak, etc. it's always financially dangerous when you take a franchise and go off-brand. Star Trek Nemesis went off-brand and that's why it flopped.

Last edited by Integritas : 05-05-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Treksters are not widely known for their ability to laugh at themselves. Or anything else, for that matter.
Then I believe there should be more mirrors at conventions then!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Vice Admiral

Personally, I'll miss the scene of many species gathered about a long table discussing the minutae of interstellar diplomacy!

If you don't read the Onion every week, you really should - I thought we Trek fans had the sarcasm thing in the bag???