The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > (Maybe Spoiler) This IS Star Trek, and it IS Canon (maybe Spoiler)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I concur.
First Contact is literally the miles stone marking the beginning of the End for Star Trek.
uhhhhh, what? My sensor readings are detecting no logic here.

Weeeeeeeeee
Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
The writers have already made it clear that the Abrams Universe is a divergence from the Prime Universe created by the event of Nero travelling back in time.

Prime Spock talks about the changes in the movie itself.
Yeah, it's really not complicated.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Basically, as predicted, reaction to this film will rest on how broad or narrow one's definition of STAR TREK is, and how this film fits that paradigm.

Fans have always 'picked from the buffet' anyway, and this time will be no different.

Those who only accept their TREK from the past will enjoy it there, and that's great.

Others willing to remain open-minded about their TREK will include Abrams' film in their mix accordingly.

Fortunately it all still exists for everyone to enjoy and explore for years to come.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Ensign

Quote:
The writers have already made it clear that the Abrams Universe is a divergence from the Prime Universe created by the event of Nero travelling back in time.

Prime Spock talks about the changes in the movie itself.
1) What the writers say is 100% irrelevant unless it appears onscreen.

2) Does Spock say that the Prime Timeline continues to exist?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Midshipman

Default Timelines

Hi
Just got home from watching the film, its great!!
Im opinion is that, there is only one star trek story, its alittle different now in the odd pace here and there :-).
A couple of things point this out.

When Kirk and spock go to Neros ship, spock asks kirk to give uhuru a message if he doesnt return. kirk keeps telling him, he will return! he knows this because if he didnt he wouldnt be in the future to return to the past.

Old Spock does tell young spock that they(spock & Kirk) both have a great friendship in front of them and he didn't want to change that in any way if possible.

Our Trek that we all love is still there :-) just a few things have changed due to spock and nero travelling back in time.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Midshipman

Default Yesterday's Enterprise

Its the same universe :-)
Because of time-travelling things have changed alittle just as things where changed in "Yesterday's Enterprise" it was the same universe just slightly changed because of a few events.

Old spock didn't want young spock to know of his presents so that he didn't change kirks and spock's future friendship too much.

I LOVED the film and ive been a Trek fan since i was a child, can't wait to see the next film.

:-)
Old 05-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sisko View Post
uhhhhh, what? My sensor readings are detecting no logic here.

Weeeeeeeeee
Agreed!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Those who only accept their TREK from the past will enjoy it there, and that's great.

Others willing to remain open-minded about their TREK will include Abrams' film in their mix accordingly.

Fortunately it all still exists for everyone to enjoy and explore for years to come.
Exactly. Well said!

Hi JParker....you probably should throw spoiler tags around your posts. Even though this thread has "spoiler" in the heading, that may be a bit much.....

Glad to see you liked the movie though!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir2000 View Post
1) What the writers say is 100% irrelevant unless it appears onscreen.

2) Does Spock say that the Prime Timeline continues to exist?
1) The writers have explained their thinking, and it is valid. Like the theory itself, it is impossible to prove conclusively either way.

Spock clearly has memories from the Prime reality, so if that doesn't exist, we have a Paradox.

2) See 1. Spock notices the differences, and has not disappeared from existence (Supporting a) a difference, and b) lack of a Paradox).

To take the Scientific approack, this is the best theory we have, and until it is disproved conclusively, stands as the current theory.

The writer's intent is absolutely clear, and Spock states in dialogue that Nero was the probable catalyst of the changes.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Ensign

Quote:
1) The writers have explained their thinking, and it is valid. Like the theory itself, it is impossible to prove conclusively either way.

Spock clearly has memories from the Prime reality, so if that doesn't exist, we have a Paradox.

2) See 1. Spock notices the differences, and has not disappeared from existence (Supporting a) a difference, and b) lack of a Paradox).

To take the Scientific approack, this is the best theory we have, and until it is disproved conclusively, stands as the current theory.

The writer's intent is absolutely clear, and Spock states in dialogue that Nero was the probable catalyst of the changes.
1) So you agree that what the writers say is irrelevant.

2) Except they always notice the differences during time travel in star trek, even though we know that branching has never happened before now.

If you want to be consistent with past trek time travel, then the best explanation is that the Prime Timeline ceases to exist after Nero goes back. If you don't like that, then they hopped dimensions and Spock is simply wrong when he says Nero is the catalyst.

Or you can just say that for absolutely no apparent reason whatsoever, this time travel is different from all other time travel that has ever happened in star trek, and the writers are correct.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Ensign

just saw the movie and to quote Spock, " This event has created an Alternate Reality."