The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > (Maybe Spoiler) This IS Star Trek, and it IS Canon (maybe Spoiler)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Captain

I find that a lot of fans change their minds about the movie once they realize that there is a way to differentiate it from "their" Trek.

I think we should be thanking JJ for giving us (the Trek fans) an option. He could have very easily just said "screw you" and that would have been the end of it.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Ensign

Yes I was very sceptic befor I see the Movie, and the thing with the Parralel Univery is my Way to make it for me corfortable :-) and I hope we can be after thousends of strange discussions A big Happy Fleet, and have another 43 years and more fun in Star Trek

Thanks God for JJ
Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integritas View Post
Yeah, I heard another one. Bobby Ewing wasn't really dead, it was all a dream.

Seriously, these are changes to Star Trek that absolutely didn't have to be made. More and more, I'm hearing people say that Paramount deliberately changed Trek in order to pick a fight with the loyal fans. This board is an example of that tactic.

A public fight of Abrams verses angry Trek fans would create publicity, right? Wasn't that the plan? Isn't that the purpose of this online forum? Didn't Paramount want to make unnecessary changes to Star Trek, so that the loyal fans WOULD be outraged? Isn't that the marketing plan, hmmm???

Problem is, the Trek fans aren't biting. The loyal Trek fans aren't angry about this movie -just very indifferent towards it.

No, this moive is NOT "Canon" and loyal Trek fans will treat it as an anomaly. Even that word ("canon") was chosen to pick a fight with Star Trek fans, wasn't it?

I'm very curious - just WHO do you think the loyal Star Trek fans are, anyway? Because despite the neat marketing language, judging from this forum Paramount doesn't seem to respect fan loyalty. Maybe that's why Paramount has so few successful movie franchises.
I have an even simpler soloution. This Abramsprise is not Star Trek.

End of story.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
I find that a lot of fans change their minds about the movie once they realize that there is a way to differentiate it from "their" Trek.

I think we should be thanking JJ for giving us (the Trek fans) an option. He could have very easily just said "screw you" and that would have been the end of it.
But isn't that exactly what Abrams did? Say "Screw You" ???
Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Ensign

As I see there are a few humans who mean they have the only right to describe what is Star Trek and what not, but this Tactic is more like Spock says the words in Trek VI ;"Hitler, Earth 1938" and Trekkies should be a positive example of humans not the worst
Old 05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Rear Admiral

It's my universe and I will change it if I want to...Change it if I want to...da de da de da. Good lord we're here talking about a Star Trek movie and some think it's universal armegeddon. (Thank you Dr. McCoy for the paraphrased quote)
Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post

End of story.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
But isn't that exactly what Abrams did? Say "Screw You" ???
When you post I pretty much think the same thing.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:

End of story.
Go find and listen to a well known Trek song called "I Hate You".
Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Ensign

Quote:
This Abramsprise is not Star Trek.
OK, I can appreciate those that "fight" for canon, for they do a service of keeping things on track and not going too far from expected. But, making such bold statements like this Star Trek isn't star trek.. being so adamant about canon that we seem to forget the other side of Star Trek and that being the humanity of it, the adventure, exploration, etc... Does this new ST not represent adventure, exploration? Is there not some semblence of this being a ST movie? Did Roddenberry expouse Canon, Canon, and only Canon? What pleasure, what value, what entertainment do you derive from Canon and fighting and bickering over Canon? Do you ever step back and just appreciate ST this new or the old for the sake of humanity, adventure etc? Just my 2 cents... I think if those that advocate Canon just step back, deep breath... chill... and just enjoy it for what it is...

Jason