The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > (Maybe Spoiler) This IS Star Trek, and it IS Canon (maybe Spoiler)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Captain

WOW! This movie is amazing!!! I loved it. My non Trekkie wife said it was her favorite movie. I'm going back tomorrow at 11:30 am to see it again. The only thing I can think to say is, WOW! After Prime Spock explained what happened, it was like I was ok with it. Now, let me pose a question. What would happen to keep Prime Spock and the rest of the vulcans to name their new planet where they settle, Vulcan?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by exidement99 View Post
just saw the movie and to quote Spock, " This event has created an Alternate Reality."
Does he say the prime timeline continues to exist?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Ensign

it is never given a thought or statement to say yes or no to this question. however the fact that Nimoy Spock does not "wink" out of existence, makes me believe....(insert your own thought here)
Old 05-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Ensign

Quote:
it is never given a thought or statement to say yes or no to this question. however the fact that Nimoy Spock does not "wink" out of existence, makes me believe....(insert your own thought here)
the enterprise doesn't wink out of existence in FC. the away team doesn't wink out of existence in CotEoF. In both cases the original timeline was destroyed - it just means they were protected somehow from the changes.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir2000 View Post
the enterprise doesn't wink out of existence in FC. the away team doesn't wink out of existence in CotEoF. In both cases the original timeline was destroyed - it just means they were protected somehow from the changes.

FC the Enterprise was protected, its even stated in the dialogue why they were protected. Call me stupid but CotEoF??? WTF is that??? LOL
Old 05-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Does he say the prime timeline continues to exist?
Since you seem insistent on getting an answer, try this:

An "alternate reality" means that it is set apart from the prime reality, thus there are two of them. One does not erase the other.

Nevermind attempting to reconcile past time travel devices with this one, since the situations (and causes) are vastly different, and so are the results.

Watch the film and you'll see.

You're earlier point is right: what the writers say is irrelevant until it's seen on screen. Now it has been seen on screen and guess what? The writers knew what they were talking about when the first told us... they just couldn't tell us 100% about it. That doesn't make them wrong, that made us not completely informed... and on purpose.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Ensign

Quote:
FC the Enterprise was protected, its even stated in the dialogue why they were protected. Call me stupid but CotEoF??? WTF is that??? LOL
lol, City on the Edge of Forever.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Since you seem insistent on getting an answer, try this:

An "alternate reality" means that it is set apart from the prime reality, thus there are two of them. One does not erase the other.

Nevermind attempting to reconcile past time travel devices with this one, since the situations (and causes) are vastly different, and so are the results.

Watch the film and you'll see.

You're earlier point is right: what the writers say is irrelevant until it's seen on screen. Now it has been seen on screen and guess what? The writers knew what they were talking about when the first told us... they just couldn't tell us 100% about it. That doesn't make them wrong, that made us not completely informed... and on purpose.
Ok, fair enough - if Spock says "alternate reality", I guess I'll just have to live with the inconsistencies; I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the film before I've seen it - as I said before, I just think the writers made things unecessarily difficult by trying to force an effective reboot into canon in a way that wouldn't upset some of the more obessive legions of fans.

Now I just need to get through my last week of classes so I can actually find time to go and see this thing...
Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Ensign

oh..ok...well there you go. the Enterprise DID wink out of existence. they tried to hail her and "she isnt there".
Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Ok, fair enough - if Spock says "alternate reality", I guess I'll just have to live with the inconsistencies; I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the film before I've seen it - as I said before, I just think the writers made things unecessarily difficult by trying to force an effective reboot into canon in a way that wouldn't upset some of the more obessive legions of fans.
No worries. When you do see it, I think you may change your mind about "force an effective reboot into canon", but you'll have to judge that for yourself.

I think many fans' confusion comes from the fact that they insist on looking at this alternate reality from within the prime reality. See the film and you'll find that could well be a waste of time, since a person can only occupy one reality at a time.

Think about it in terms of the characters: why should the rules of one reality apply to or make 100% sense in the other? They wouldn't, couldn't, or there would be no "alternate" distinction.

In short, reality in this film is very dependent on where you're standing when you perceive it. In the end, only Spock will ever confront the two directly... and he can handle it because he knows one, but now lives in the other.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!