The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > This is Not a True Star Trek Movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
If we didn't feed them, what would we have had to play with over the past year and a half?

Okay--just don't feed them after midnight. Or get them wet. Don't think we need to worry about sunlight as I suspect most troll's parents have heavy-duty basement curtains.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Good of you to review the film before you've even seen it. You'll forgive me if I don't take any notice.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Lieutenant

Three days until the movie premiers and I'm still seeing threads like this? I think it's close enough for us to wait, THEN begin the bashing after everyone has seen and understood the movie. 3 days = not long. I'm not going to comment on wether the comments are right or not now. I just want to see this movie then complain if I have too. I'm pretty sure I won't be, but you never know.

A month ago this thread might of made sense. Hell, last week it could of worked. Not 3 days from the premier. 2 if you count Thursday, which many are.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PEOPLE stop over thinking about canon this canon that. JJ said that he's not really following the exact original show. Let's get over it and enjoy the movie. It's called entertainment people. Let's just be happy their even making another film. I like the fact that JJ is making it his own. It's something a little different a re-fresher sort of and giving it a new look. Personally i'm tired of the same old stuff and it get played out.
Thier in a business of making money and not losing it.
JJ stated that he tried to keep it where ST fans will enjoy and non ST fans. I think that's a good idea and hopefully it will bring in new fans.
ST FAN TO THE END

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisme View Post
Hi
I will admit I have only seen the trailers but from what I have seen this is not a moive that is truly Star Trek.
It basically overwrites a numer of episodes from the original series.
First of all Chekov was not part of the original first set of the crew under Kirk's command. There was another helmsmen there in his place for a few episodes in the begining of the series.
Second in the trailer Kirk comes face to face with the Romulan Villlain. How can this be when in the original series there was no visual record of a Romulan. Remember in the original series episode where they fight a romulan ship and the are seeing a Romulan for the first time. They think Spock could be a Romulan spy.
Third as I recal Kirk in the original seires has never met Capt Pike until the episode where Spok takes him in his crippled body back to a planet where he is given the illusion of youth and helth.

I noticed and remembered these issues from just the trailers then what other things could they have done witht he full movie.
I did see a few revies and most had the same thing about the issues with the original series backstory and this so called movie.

I was talking about this movie release with a freind. And we both agree that at times it may be better that they let the Star Trek rest in peace.
Without the vision of Gene Roddenberry it has become more commerical and lost his passion.

Star Trek may you rest in peace until a true believer in in Gene Roddenberry's vision can raise you from the ashes of the corporate greed
Old 05-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Captain

To start with 'true' is a conditional statement. Sadly, yes, it is true Star Trek -- which is a one-word-longer-than-necessary way of saying simply: It's Star Trek. It's sad that Star Trek's been dumbed down to this, but I don't think anyone here appreciates seeing the word 'true' used as shorthand for 'my own ideal version of'.

Want your own ideal version? Produce it like James Cawley did. The dumbed down noobTrek version doesn't make the cut with you? It doesn't with me either -- so don't pay to see it. But one thing the real thing could always have done without is the weird and awkward religious overtones that emanate off it when 'true believer' fans ooze into a room. Don't do that. For the show, for us, for yourself, just don't do that.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 05-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Ensign

1 important thing is that JJ won't ever lose the scientific approach of Star Trek. It's what made it big, and to accomplish you need a very good team of scientist to work on the movieset. If you look at Fringe, the science is very ridiculous and to much fiction to my opinion though. Also, his approach is very down to earth about everything.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

From everything I've heard, this IS NOT dumbed down Star Trek. Just because the previews seem to be all "bang bang shoot 'em up" does not make it so.

Look what they did with First Contact. They hyped it up to be just that...a bang bang shoot 'em up. (That's certainly what I expected, and much to my disappointment, that all took place in the first twenty minutes.) Funnily enough, it still had an enjoyable story.

Looks like it'll be the same with the new Star Trek. But, this time I'm not going in with the expectation that this will be a large action epic. I'm going in with the expectation that this will be a kick a** Star Trek motion picture in all respects....story, action, characters, visual effects.

It won't be "The Cage" by any means. Who's gonna want to bore their audience for 2 hours and 7 minutes? But it also won't be Star Wars, as many purists fear.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

This thread gives real meaning to that Onion TV spoof news report about Star Trek I watched yesterday.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Ensign

I can't believe this guy sitting here complaing about canon and such. Give me a break Dog, If this is the case then you should have stopped watching Star Trek after ST2 wrath of Khan. Remember the old "Botanay Bay Scene" and Khan telling Chekov that he never forgets a face even though Chekov was no where to be found in TOS "space seed" episode? How's that for canon for ya??? Star trek is about good stories and good times, not some set-in-stone mathmatical theory that is always constant and never changing. It shifts and moves with the times, and as long as they don't do something MONUMENTALLY stupid like make the klingons a-sexual peaceful loving beings with pink backpacks or something similar then in the words of Avery Brooks, IT's all GOOD.

Now the only thing that is worryign me is if this Kid can be Kirk or not.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedestroymyths View Post
Okay--just don't feed them after midnight. Or get them wet. Don't think we need to worry about sunlight as I suspect most troll's parents have heavy-duty basement curtains.
LOL....Nice!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
But one thing the real thing could always have done without is the weird and awkward religious overtones that emanate off it when 'true believer' fans ooze into a room. Don't do that. For the show, for us, for yourself, just don't do that.
Now this I can agree with...nicely put.

As for the first part of what you posted, we're still at odds on that.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.