The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > This is Not a True Star Trek Movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Midshipman

Default This is Not a True Star Trek Movie

Hi
I will admit I have only seen the trailers but from what I have seen this is not a moive that is truly Star Trek.
It basically overwrites a numer of episodes from the original series.
First of all Chekov was not part of the original first set of the crew under Kirk's command. There was another helmsmen there in his place for a few episodes in the begining of the series.
Second in the trailer Kirk comes face to face with the Romulan Villlain. How can this be when in the original series there was no visual record of a Romulan. Remember in the original series episode where they fight a romulan ship and the are seeing a Romulan for the first time. They think Spock could be a Romulan spy.
Third as I recal Kirk in the original seires has never met Capt Pike until the episode where Spok takes him in his crippled body back to a planet where he is given the illusion of youth and helth.

I noticed and remembered these issues from just the trailers then what other things could they have done witht he full movie.
I did see a few revies and most had the same thing about the issues with the original series backstory and this so called movie.

I was talking about this movie release with a freind. And we both agree that at times it may be better that they let the Star Trek rest in peace.
Without the vision of Gene Roddenberry it has become more commerical and lost his passion.

Star Trek may you rest in peace until a true believer in in Gene Roddenberry's vision can raise you from the ashes of the corporate greed
Old 05-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Lieutenant Commander

If you've only seen the trailers then head over to www.trekmovie.com for some actual depth into the movie. And read the 4 Countdown prequel comics.

It's also rather disconcerting that all you are worried about seems to be inconsequential canon issues, but you don't seem at all concerned with the spirit behind Star Trek which is friendship, exploration and a positive vision of the future.

Quit nitpicking and try to look at the bigger picture.

And quit with the martyr attitude. It's really melodramatic and worthless because nobody's really dying. It's a fictional series. It's not like it's your son or daughter or something.

Also the "Star Trek is better off dead" attitude is just a selfish and childish and your part and noone seems to have come up with a logical reason as to why it should die.

Also, knock it off with the "true believer" nonsense. It's unnecessarily divisive and it only makes things worse for everybody.

Gene Roddenberry's son has seen the movie and he likes it. I guess according to you he's not a "true believer in in Gene Roddenberry's vision".

And I guess Leonard Nimoy's involvment in the movie(he's acting in it as Spock) doesn't give you at least some comfort whatsoever. If so, then I'm very sorry.

I'm gonna stop now. I really don't want to be too antagonistic toward you because you're new and I've probably done enough damage already.

It's just we've had to deal with a lot of your concerns before and some of us are quite franky pretty tired of addressing it.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisme View Post
Hi
I will admit I have only seen the trailers but from what I have seen this is not a moive that is truly Star Trek.
First of all Chekov was not part of the original first set of the crew under Kirk's command. There was another helmsmen there in his place for a few episodes in the begining of the series.
Second in the trailer Kirk comes face to face with the Romulan Villlain. How can this be when in the original series there was no visual record of a Romulan. Remember in the original series episode where they fight a romulan ship and the are seeing a Romulan for the first time. They think Spock could be a Romulan spy.
Third as I recal Kirk in the original seires has never met Capt Pike until the episode where Spok takes him in his crippled body back to a planet where he is given the illusion of youth and helth.

I noticed and remembered these issues from just the trailers then what other things could they have done witht he full movie.
I did see a few revies and most had the same thing about the issues with the original series backstory and this so called movie.

I was talking about this movie release with a freind. And we both agree that at times it may be better that they let the Star Trek rest in peace.
Without the vision of Gene Roddenberry it has become more commerical and lost his passion.

Star Trek may you rest in peace until a true believer in in Gene Roddenberry's vision can raise you from the ashes of the corporate greed
Just the fact that Nimoy signed on should tell you it does follow Roddenberry's vision.

He came out of retirement for this, he doesn't need the money.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Captain

Blahblahblah. We've been through this a gazillion times in the last year. Closing in on a year and a half.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Dear, oh dear...

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisme View Post
Hi

Well then, do the world a favour and a dig a little deeper.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
Blahblahblah. We've been through this a gazillion times in the last year. Closing in on a year and a half.
In America "too much" is never enough.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Lieutenant

man you are a year and a half late and several thousand dollars short. Your outcries of "canon this" and "canon that" are falling on deaf ears. Star Trek was never about details it was about characters. Let it go.
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission, to explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Why not just let this sink to the grounds of page 10?