The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How will Star Trek compare to Wolverine's $87,000,000?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
lonstar70 lonstar70 is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 320
Default

What about the numbers for ST in places it has already been running, like Australia?
__________________
Captain Kirk to the Enterprise in "The Naked Time":

"I'll never lose you!"
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Arctus Baran Arctus Baran is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 204
Default

hmm, my estimate for Wolverine was low.

Earlier, I was thinking 95 for Star Trek,
since the numbers are up for Wolverine,
Star Trek will probably be 110-120 million.

Lots of movie watchers out this year.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM
FranCat's Avatar
FranCat FranCat is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 709
Default

Also, what about showings before Thursday? I'm gonna see it Tuesday the 5th... how will those get counted?
__________________

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Oregon_Coast_Trekkie's Avatar
Oregon_Coast_Trekkie Oregon_Coast_Trekkie is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,271
Default

Ok, this might be a moronic question, but how are advance sale tickets factored in?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,883
Default

Everything about blockbuster status is longevity. DK wasnt made in a weekend. Sure it made a ton of bucks but it was its continued success over the next several weeks that really mattered. I kinda doubt Wolverine will last too long but I would not write it off. Same for Trek. This point is really moot until the end of June.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
What about the numbers for ST in places it has already been running, like Australia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
Also, what about showings before Thursday? I'm gonna see it Tuesday the 5th... how will those get counted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
Ok, this might be a moronic question, but how are advance sale tickets factored in?
I don't know for sure - but I suspect they would all be reported in the first day figures. i.e the Thursday reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Everything about blockbuster status is longevity. DK wasnt made in a weekend. Sure it made a ton of bucks but it was its continued success over the next several weeks that really mattered. I kinda doubt Wolverine will last too long but I would not write it off. Same for Trek. This point is really moot until the end of June.
I'd doubt many films would have the legs that DK displayed. To have stayed Number 1 at the summer box office for a month is a real rarity. It's impossible to predict what will have legs and what won't.

As you say, we'll have to wait til the end of the 2009 season to know.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-04-2009, 01:42 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

In addition to it's $87 million North American weekend Wolverine also made an estimated (from UK figs, Box Office Mojo will verify soon) $73 million in the rest of the world giving it a global weekend of $160 million - already surpassing it's basic production budget of $150 million.

It's off to a very good start. Even if it doesn't have the best legs it will earn enough to please the studio.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-04-2009, 05:01 AM
Magnate Ataxia's Avatar
Magnate Ataxia Magnate Ataxia is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 129
Default

ST will blow that figure out of the water.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 AM
notlad notlad is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 129
Default

I have no doubt that Star Trek will do incredible business this first weekend as the die hard Trek fans who have waited seven years for a new flick come out in droves.

The second weekend will tell the story about the success and failure of this new Star Trek reboot. That is when we will see if the great reviews, word of mouth, and marketing campaign have pulled in a new generatoin of fans. I have my fingers crossed!

The second element that will determine success is how it fares overseas where Star Trek has historically done dismal business. Paramount was smart to make the big foreign premeire tour they did to increase awareness.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlad View Post
I have no doubt that Star Trek will do incredible business this first weekend as the die hard Trek fans who have waited seven years for a new flick come out in droves.

The second weekend will tell the story about the success and failure of this new Star Trek reboot. That is when we will see if the great reviews, word of mouth, and marketing campaign have pulled in a new generatoin of fans. I have my fingers crossed!

The second element that will determine success is how it fares overseas where Star Trek has historically done dismal business. Paramount was smart to make the big foreign premeire tour they did to increase awareness.
All good points. I have my fingers crossed as well!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:43 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.