The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How will Star Trek compare to Wolverine's $87,000,000?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
X-men has it's name to go on. The X-men films have had more general appeal than Trek films. Considering the amount of buzz about Trek compared to X-men i'm thinking Trek will come out on top overall. My theater was sold out on both screens opening night for X-men. They next day I went to it, one of the theaters was packed. And that was a matinee. I don't think X-men will hold number one come second week when Trek premiers. People might have already realized that Wolverine sucked. Worse than I thought it was going to be. I thought "it should at least be better than X-men 3." X-men 3 was better. Star Trek will beat X-men.
It'll be interesting to see how well it holds on weekend 2. It could bleed heavily or stay competitive.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It depends how early and wide the Thursday opening actually is.
yes, it depends very much. A WIDE opening on a Thursday will hurt the Fri-Sun numbers more than a small Thursday opening
Old 05-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Federation Councillor

That's the thing, it doesn't necessarily hurt it's Friday. Normally the Friday and Saturday are the bigger days (again Dark Knight a major exception). It could even help. Someone sees it on a Thursday and gets people to see it on the Fri/Sat etc.

I mean, I don't think Trek will have the biggest opening of the year (personally I'd put my money on Transformers 2 for that, unless something comes out of nowhere). It's the final gross and the worldwide figures that will determine a sequel being greenlit, not just a big opening.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Why does Abramsprise have to have an extra day to win against X-men?

Seems if X-men gets 200 million in 3 days and Abramsprise gets 200 million in 4 days then the X-men wins.

Also, why are there Theaters not wanting to show Abramsprise? Why can't it get 4099 theaters also? Interesting
And if that is where you are going, shouldnt it make a difference in the number of showings per day per theater? The more people filling the seats in a given amount of time the quicker it will make money in the first 3-4 days. But what about the next week when the only big movie is the Da Vinci Code sequel (prequel?). Not exactly a big time blockbuster IMO. So the people that hadnt seen Trek in the first week have a second week with no big blockbuster for competition, they will probably prefer Trek. Of course the week after that is Terminator and its a different story.

If I were going to the theaters I would probably have gone to see Wolverine (just for the thrill ride). Definitely Star Trek. Most likely Terminator as well. But not Tom Hanks or Harry Potter. Trek has two weeks to rake in the bucks as opposed to Wolverine. In the end, no winner will be known for another couple of months. Its like a relay race. Do you determine the winner by the first runner or by all of them put together? Or do you enjoy July 4 with only bottle rockets (Fshhhh, Boom, oooo, ahhhh) or something more substantial?

But then you always seem to suggest ulterior motives like that conspiracy theorist who works for the New Yorker. Lots of conclusions with no real evidence to back him up. Just conjecture. However if you have actual evidence that suggests Paramount is afraid or trying to manipulate the numbers I can give you the public email of Larry King.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Federation Councillor

I really wouldn't underestimate Angels & Demons or the track record of the appeal of Tom Hanks and Ron Howard.

It might not set records itself, but it stands a good chance of topping the Box Office.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

star trek will surpass X-Men. think of all the star trek fans in this country, not even counting the world.

"I was out saving the galaxy when your grandfather was in diapers. Besides the galaxy owes me one" Captain James T. Kirk 2371
Old 05-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
That's X-Men Origins: Wolverine's gross at the box office on its opening weekend according to Box Office Mojo.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

How will Star Trek stack up? Thoughts/projections/conjecture...?

Talked to some friends from Jacksonville Florida, they said the lines at the X men movie were out the theater door and down the street. That it was that way at several multiplexes.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan View Post
star trek will surpass X-Men. think of all the star trek fans in this country, not even counting the world.

Easily, it will pass it. Wolverine was OK, but not as good as any of the X-Men movies, IMO. Word of mouth will get out, and it'll drop off by 40%, especially up against Trek.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Star Trek will do OK.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Talked to some friends from Jacksonville Florida, they said the lines at the X men movie were out the theater door and down the street. That it was that way at several multiplexes.

So? What's that have to do with ST?

There are lines out the door half the time I go to my theatre.

"I'll never lose you!"