The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > playstation 3 question
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Vice Admiral

Default playstation 3 question

guys i ve got tos season 1 on blue ray ps3,i ve got a problem,i cant fix the aspect ratio to 16:9 to fill all the screen,instead the picture is 4:3,any advice?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately you won't be able to do so without stretching the image because it was shot full frame 4:3. In fact Enterprise is the only Trek show you'd be able to view in widescreen. All the others are 4:3.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Commander

Whoa. I've had a PS2, an XBOX and an XBOX360, and all of them played DVDs' full screen. I have no Idea why a PS3 wouldn't play Blue Ray's that way without having to tweak it, the same way it plays games full screen. Does it give you any parameter options when you first set it up? Does it come with a remote control? And if so, is there a menu for screen setup? Those are some simple fixes you might look into.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Unless they changed the aspect ratio of the episodes, it'd be in full screen. I just looked at the specs and the DVD is full screen like it was shot, so it won't fit the screen without stretching it.

You can do that usually, stretch it to fit your screen.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Vice Admiral

thanks livingston and monsieur,no luck when stretcing via tv remote,the picture remains 4:3.i am a little disappointed,i cant fill the screen and that sucks.i tweaked the bd options on ps3 too - nothing happened.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
thanks livingston and monsieur,no luck when stretcing via tv remote,the picture remains 4:3.i am a little disappointed,i cant fill the screen and that sucks.i tweaked the bd options on ps3 too - nothing happened.
Do they make blue ray drives for computers yet? If so, you could buy one and play them on your PC or Mac couldn't you? Of course, that would entail greater expense. I say this because my TOS DVD's play so beautifully on my PC. Much clearer and with far better definition than they do in the DVD player I have connected to my television.

Last edited by MonsieurHood : 05-01-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Admiral

That's strange it won't stretch it. Must be on the tv end and not the DVD or playstation. The playstation is set to 16:9 display isn't it? Don't think that would matter, but if not then all your other stuff that is widescreen would look stretched vertically.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Vice Admiral

fact is i have the 6 first treks on blue ray also and the ratio is correct 16:9,my only problem is tos,my tv remote has 3 functions 16:9-16:9 magnified-4:3 all of them have no effect on the picture,ps3 has bd options letterbox and panscan and there is no off option , u must select one or the other,there is also one other ps3 option for games , for full screen , i doesnt do a thing on video,isuppose it applies only for games
Old 05-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Admiral

I have a 42" plasma and the original TOS only plays in 4:3 unless you zoom in and cut both the top and bottom off. 4:3 will never fit 16:9 proportionally.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
guys i ve got tos season 1 on blue ray ps3,i ve got a problem,i cant fix the aspect ratio to 16:9 to fill all the screen,instead the picture is 4:3,any advice?
Of course the PS3 can display movies and games in 16:9, that's what is was made for. Scroll through the user settings on the left of the startup screen and you can get it to match your high def TV. There is also a helpful tickbox for colour correction which you should switch on. (If you haven't got a high def TV there isn't any point having blu-ray as a standard TV can't display at 1920 x 1080 pixels.) If you're still having problems, come back to me and I will tell you what exactly the menu is called but it's not hard to find, it should be called something along the lines of video setup).

Incidentally, if you have your PS3 connected to the internet it will automatically download an update which upscales all of your old DVDs as it plays them. It's never going to be as good as blu-ray but it looks much nicer than ordinary DVD. The plug-in is free.

Last edited by Scribbler : 05-01-2009 at 10:44 PM.