The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > The Defiant. Why did the Borg take it out so easy?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Commander

Also let's not forget that NOWHERE was it ever stated that a single Defiant was supposed to be a match for a cube. Defiant was just supposed to be the first ship in a whole fleet of them.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Ensign

wasn't the defiant just a prototype at the time??

check out my blog @ www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
and my bros blog @ http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/
Old 04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
Also let's not forget that NOWHERE was it ever stated that a single Defiant was supposed to be a match for a cube. Defiant was just supposed to be the first ship in a whole fleet of them.
That's correct.
This is esepecially after the Cube made some advances in defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromEarth View Post
wasn't the defiant just a prototype at the time??
Yes...but others were being constructed at the time to make appearances in DS9 for the War....prudent wouldn't you say?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Vice Admiral

By the time Worf joined DS9, the Defiant was no longer a prototype. I suppose technically it was a prototype since it was the first of it's class, but O'Brian had already worked out the kinks. In that sense it was already a proven design and not a prototype.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 04-29-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
Defiant-built by Starfleet to fight the Borg. Yet in First Contact, it is taken out quickly. Why? Something was not right, as only 2 crew were active. Did the rest die, or was Worf forced to go after them with a less than full crew?
One thing I must point out: Why do you think the Defiant was taken out quickly? We have no idea how long the Defiant was in the battle. It could have been many hours for all we know. The movie was a bit unclear as to how long it took the Enterprise to reach the battle from the point when Picard decided to disobey orders. (of course it was a grossly reduced time because it should have taken days) Maybe the Federation was battling the Borg for days before the Enterprise got there? We just don't know.

What do you mean "2 crew were active"? Do you mean there were only two survivors on the Defiant that beamed to the Enterprise? That's another assumption with nothing to support it within the movie.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 04-29-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
By the time the Worf joined DS9, the Defiant was no longer a prototype. I suppose technically it was a prototype since it was the first of it's class, but O'brian had already worked out the kinks. In that sense it was already a proven design and not a prototype.
Unasailable Logic.
True.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
By the time Worf joined DS9, the Defiant was no longer a prototype. I suppose technically it was a prototype since it was the first of it's class, but O'Brian had already worked out the kinks. In that sense it was already a proven design and not a prototype.
Correct me if Im wrong, but the Defiant Worf was in command of in First Contact wasn't actually the original Defiant (NX-74205), since that was destroyed in an episode of DS9's 7th season. Wasn't this the same ship USS San Paulo that was renamed the Defiant NCC-74205? Thus no longer a prototype?

EDIT: Never mind, FC was 1996, Defiant was destroyed on DS9 in 1999. Answered my own question.

Last edited by dv8pdx : 04-29-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8pdx View Post
Correct me if Im wrong, but the Defiant Worf was in command of in First Contact wasn't actually the original Defiant (NX-74205), since that was destroyed in an episode of DS9's 7th season. Wasn't this the same ship USS San Paulo that was renamed the Defiant NCC-74205? Thus no longer a prototype?

EDIT: Never mind, FC was 1996, Defiant was destroyed on DS9 in 1999. Answered my own question.
Aw dont let facts get in the way of a good question.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
True - assuming O'Brien has fed back to Starfleet what needed to be altered to make the design work, it could be put into production as intended.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 AM
Commander

The Defiant wasn't defeated "easily"; quite the opposite in fact. She was in the fight from the very beginning, and obviously took heavy damage during that engagement. Yet she still pursued the cube all the way to Earth, and was again one of the first ships to lay into the target. That little ship gave as good as she got, and dealt quite a pounding.

This isn't idle speculation, but backed up by evidence from the film. When the Enterprise crew are monitoring the fleet communications, we can hear the Defiant mentioned. That ship, and the Bozeman, are ordered to "fall back to mobile position one" a few seconds before the fighting starts. So she was definitely on the scene, even if not in the very first wave to assail the cube. Then, when the fleet arrives at Earth, we can see the damage the Defiant's already taken - among it, a vast glowing 'wound' on her port nacelle. Despite being a slower ship than most, and despite visible damage to her engines, Worf was still able to push the Defiant hard enough to keep pace with the cube on its way to Earth, but still preserving enough power to put up a serious fight once she arrived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069
Something was not right, as only 2 crew were active.
There's only one other crewmember conscious on the bridge when the ship's crippled, but we can't really tell how many of the crew were still alive. Picard does, however, order that the Defiant's survivors be beamed aboard, which suggests a plurality. There's more to that ship than just the bridge, after all.

Despite her relatively short screen-time in First Contact, the Defiant's performance there is testament to both the ship's badassery, and Worf's as well. A ship and a commander who truly won't relent while there's an ounce of fight left.