The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > The Defiant. Why did the Borg take it out so easy?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Lieutenant

There was no time telling how long the defiant was engaged with the Borg. As one poster stated, bigger starships were being innialated at a whim. The Defiant was probably lucky to have laste that long. Also Worf has to play in the factor. We had never seen him at the helm or "In command" of a Starship before in combat, at least I can't remember.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

yes, we can't forget that the Enterprise was near the neutral zone when the borg arrived, and we don't know actually how long it took the E to arrive at the battle, the Defiant could have been there the entire time and taken one hell of a beating and still survived until the E showed up... remember too it was adrift but never destroyed. So I'd say it WAS one tough little ship!! It wasn't destroyed!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
Defiant-built by Starfleet to fight the Borg. Yet in First Contact, it is taken out quickly. Why? Something was not right, as only 2 crew were active. Did the rest die, or was Worf forced to go after them with a less than full crew?
We only saw 2 crew--that doesn't mean that only 2 were active.

It may seem like it was taken out quickly, but there's no way to know how long it had been fighting the Borg before the Enterprise arrived. We have to assume it put up some kind of fight since the Defiant wasn't destroyed...unlike other starships that have gone up against a Borg cube.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
The plot required it to be.
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufy View Post
Well, Riker did say that it's a "tough little ship". Guess it just took a LOT of pounding (there's ships blowing up left and right when Enterprise crashes the party). After all, one tiny ship vs. an entire Borg cube... /remembers Voyager/ never mind that.
We also don't know how long the battle had been going on for - several hours seems likely, and we saw lots of other starships getting destroyed far more quickly. But then the Defiant class was also supposed to be built in large numbers. I don't think it was designed to engage the Borg on a 1-2-1 basis and win.

There would have been meant to be a swarm of them. And it didn't get destroyed - so it must have been pretty tough!.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Defiant-built by Starfleet to fight the Borg. Yet in First Contact, it is taken out quickly. Why? Something was not right, as only 2 crew were active. Did the rest die, or was Worf forced to go after them with a less than full crew?

because the borg inproved on there technology since they had picard. the only ship to destory the cube was the Enterprise, the defiant was just a prick.

"I was out saving the galaxy when your grandfather was in diapers. Besides the galaxy owes me one" Captain James T. Kirk 2371
Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
There was no time telling how long the defiant was engaged with the Borg. As one poster stated, bigger starships were being innialated at a whim. The Defiant was probably lucky to have laste that long. Also Worf has to play in the factor. We had never seen him at the helm or "In command" of a Starship before in combat, at least I can't remember.
You took the words out of my mouth. Defiant & crew could have been in battle for hours. We don't know that because, well, it's a movie and the Battle of Defiant was not a main part of the story line.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan View Post
because the borg inproved on there technology since they had picard. the only ship to destory the cube was the Enterprise, the defiant was just a prick.
I'm sure you mean pin-prick. Otherwise, there is no need to get personal.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Commander

Ahh, maybe because they already fought for an eternity.

Just look at a Star Trek map where the Borg Cube met the Defiant for the first time and how long it takes with maximum speed to reach Earth

Here the map:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Star_trek_map2.jpg

The first time Defiant engaged the Cube was in the Typhon Sector .
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Umm, shouldn't this be in the General Star Trek Discussions area?

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
While I agree with "the plot required it to be", to put an in-universe possible explanation.....

It is possible that the Defiant was not as well built and prepared to fight the Borg as StarFleet ASDB initially thought. Much the same as a battle plan never survives first contact in a fight perfectly.

Sure, Defiant performed well against the other quadrant powers (Klingons, Romulans, Dominion)....but the Borg are just a completely different animal altogether.
Quote:
Defiant was only ship that was taking multiple strikes.
All other subcombed to immediate destruction when struct with borg weapons, exploding into a shower of particles.

It should be noted that Defiant might have been engaged for Days with the Borg Cube during a running fight from Deep Space 5 to Earth over 60 lightyears away.

The Cube suffered heavy damage from the Fleet.

But ultimately it is as martok stipulated...the plot needed it to subcomb when it did. It's strength established in DS9 was irrelevant.