The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Nimoy burst into tears
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Nimoy burst into tears

Quote:
When Karl Urban introduced himself as Leonard McCoy and shook hands with Chris Pine, I burst into tears. That performance of his, as Doctor McCoy, is so moving, so touching and so powerful that I think DeForest Kelley would be smiling, and maybe in tears as well.
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...2&article=6788
(Spoilers inside )

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Last edited by NCC-73515 : 04-27-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Vice Admiral

Nimoy was wrong about one part: There were never any actual meetings with Shatner in an attempt to fit him in the movie. The quotes that led to this belief were taken out of context. The writers tried to fit a part for Shatner into the script and it didn't work, it would have come across as forced or "glued on". That is why it turned into a big deal because Shatner came out and said "your people never approached me". And Shatner was right, they both were, it was just a misunderstanding.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 04-27-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Commander

Great article! The more I read about and see from this group, the more I fall in love with all of them. <3 Just the respect they have for each other and for the history of Star Trek and its fans in general, I'm just SO impressed by it and it means a great deal to me.

And now for something completely different...

I still can't quite work out the exact nature of the relationship between Spock and Uhura. I'm tempted to ask exactly what goes down but I don't want to know in advance and ruin it, although it's driving me crazy! Is it a one-way thing? A two-way thing? ARGH! How many days until I find out? OK, you know what? Someone who's seen the movie, TELL ME. I can't take the guessing game any longer. Put the darn thing in spoiler tags and tell me about their relationship. I wouldn't be nearly so interested if people didn't constantly bring it up in interviews! Now I really wanna know!

I just hope it's not anything overly gushy or annoying. No one's mentioned that it was, so I assume I'll get out of the theater without wanting to bash my head in over that particular part of the script. LOL I'm just a little nervous about it. Or, as an avid Kirk/Spock slasher, jealous that Zoe/Uhura gets Spock in this movie is probably a more accurate description.

I'm tryin' real hard not to hate on her before I even see her.

In all seriousness, I'm really glad they gave the character of Uhura the kind of respect and attention that she deserves instead of forcing the actress to play what often times amounted to a glorified switchboard operator! That said, Nichelle did a fantastic job with what she was given and made what could have been a minor character into an historically important character with a unique personality that everyone loves. :3
Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
In all seriousness, I'm really glad they gave the character of Uhura the kind of respect and attention that she deserves instead of forcing the actress to play what often times amounted to a glorified switchboard operator! That said, Nichelle did a fantastic job with what she was given and made what could have been a minor character into an historically important character with a unique personality that everyone loves. :3
Thats an interesting point and I hear next to nothing about Chekhov. Perhaps he will be a bigger player in the next one. Funny how Nimoy is jealous and also tells Shatner that they are even. My guess from the sound of it is that Urban will be the most outstanding performance.

And Admiral... youre just bad.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I nearly burst into tears reading this. For what seems like the hundreth time (almost), thanx NCC!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Told ya!

Now I have to make up for my lost posts, and I was the one with the word of warning!!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Vice Admiral

Hooray! That's the biggest vote of confidence I can think of. And how nice that Spock & Uhura git it onnnnnnnn.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Hooray! That's the biggest vote of confidence I can think of. And how nice that Spock & Uhura git it onnnnnnnn.
I've been trying to stay away from spoilers the past week or so but I'm weak! Do they actually "git it onnnnnnn"? Zoe used the words 'crush' and 'platonic infatuation'. Exactly how (ponn) far does it go? NO! Don't tell me! I'll find out next weak (pun intended).

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 04-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Commander

I'm STILL waiting for someone to tell me about the relationship. IN SPOILER TAGS, PLZ!

C'mon, pleeeaaaaseeee?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Exactly how (ponn) far does it go? NO! Don't tell me! I'll find out next weak (pun intended).
Best sentence of the day, right there!