The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Abrams follows long time Trek tradition of changing continuity.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Lieutenant

Default Abrams follows long time Trek tradition of changing continuity.

Lets discuss continuity issues.

I am hearing alot of complaining about this and have a statement that may shock you....unless you ACTUALLY WATCH Star Trek! Continuity has been vilolated constantly by practically every show and film!

Some examples..........

Klingon head ridges-No where to be found in 3 seasons of TOS- but comesTWOK and there they are with no explanation. Sacrilge. How could they change the look of the main enemies...just terrible.

Enterprise contardicts MUCH TOS continutiy. Too much to go into here.

Data's cat was repeatedly referred to as male since it was introduced, then suddenly became female in the last season and even had kittens!

Voyager-From the beginning Tuvok was apparently meant to be a Lieutenant, but in the pilot episode "Caretaker" was given the rank pips of Lieutenant Commander - two silver, one black. This was allegedly a wardrobe error. Cashiered former Starfleet officer Tom Paris was given the rank of full Lieutenant (two silver pips) and Maquis crewmember B'Elanna Torres was given the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade - one black strip, one silver on her rank pin. She was seemingly promoted to Lieutenant Full Grade at the end of the following episode, "Parallax", when she is made Chief Engineer (two silver strips on her rank pin). However, during the 12th episode of the first season, "Cathexis", the mistake with Tuvok's rank was spotted and corrected. At the same time it was also evidently decided to "demote" Paris and Torres, both to Lieutenant Junior Grade. This was probably done to maintain a reasonable chain of command, and possibly because it was felt they should not hold the same rank as one of Captain Janeway's trusted and most senior officers. As a result there are several continuity errors as Tuvok and Paris' ranks change back and forth due to the shooting schedule; they retain their original ranks for the sequences set on the bridge, but the revised ones are shown in all other scenes. Torres' rank pin is revised in all her scenes, again a result of the shooting schedule.

so can anyone reasonbly give Abrams grief for his changes to the franchise? I think not.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069
so can anyone reasonbly give Abrams grief for his changes to the franchise? I think not.
Yes, because many of us quite reasonably gave Berman & Braga (aka Boneless & Brainless) grief for their screwups, too, especially the ones that were riddled throughout the atrocity that was Enterprise.

The other two? Manny Coto not only provided an in-universe explanation for Klingons that went from crunchy to smooth to crunchy again, he did so with a great story arc. As for Data's cats gender-bending? *shrug* People just assumed the cat was male until it pooped forth a brood. Easy as that.

Oh, and to address TOS (yet again, for like the BILLIONTH time now...) TOS was not, repeat NOT, "full of continuity errors" as the Abrams apologists here continuously scream it was. A few very, very minor details were changed in early episodes -- and never changed again throughout the entire series..

The "they constantly changed continuity in TOS!" lie is a horse so dead it can't even be used for glue anymore, and I really wish y'all would drop it in favor of an argument that at least has some truth to it already.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."

Last edited by The Saint : 04-26-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Commander

Good to see you Saint, it's been awhile. And actually, Klingon's with ridges showed up first in "Star Trek: The Motion Picture".
Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't care what show had the most number of continuity issues or not. The fact remains they ALL did to an extent, so I'm not going to start crying over my old DVD's because this one does the same.

At the end of the day, how much did the errors and inconsistencies really spoil Star Trek overall for the majority? They'll never be ironed out.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 AM
Commander

I'm sure I once heard that Gene Roddenberry declared sections of TOS uncanon.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
I'm sure I once heard that Gene Roddenberry declared sections of TOS uncanon.
Quote:
To further complicate matters, it has been noted that Gene Roddenberry was something of a revisionist when it came to canon. People who worked with Roddenberry remember that he used to handle canon not on a series-by-series basis nor an episode-by-episode basis, but point by point. If he changed his mind on something, or if a fact in one episode contradicted what he considered to be a more important fact in another episode, he had no problem declaring that specific point non-canon.
Quote:
Roddenberry-approved material
Based on the amount of creative control Roddenberry exerted over the first seasons of Star Trek, some people argue that only Roddenberry-approved material should be considered canon.[19] Such an approach would eliminate from canon anything Roddenberry didn't like, as well as everything made after his death, including five movies and three TV series.
However, Roddenberry himself pre-emptively rebuked such an attitude. He had hoped that Star Trek would go on after his death.[20] As Star Trek was constantly improved by each following generation, he expected people to look back upon its humble beginnings as just that, the simple beginnings of something much bigger and better.[21] Roddenberry clearly never intended Star Trek to be limited to his work, but to include all the hopefully superior work of future generations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_canon

My take on this? Well, as William Shatner once said...Nah! We all know the quote, I think!

Last edited by Dominus of Megadeus : 04-27-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_canon

My take on this? Well, as William Shatner once said...Nah! We all know the quote, I think!
Ah.

Suddenly I'm not even remotely concerned about violating TOS canon. :P
Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
Ah.

Suddenly I'm not even remotely concerned about violating TOS canon. :P
Ditto

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Um how about some other examples, I rank pips are not a big deal. The Klingon ridges was only a continuity issue until it was explained. Some coninutity issues are eplained like time travel, but still does not fix a problem, where as the Klingon ridges was a genetic virus, no longer a continuity issue.