The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will the "SWINE FLU" affect audience turnout for Star Trek ?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Paranoia and panic, that's great. More free space in the theatres.
That would be cool but they may decide to close the theatres.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Ensign

Wear a mask.

See the movie.

Live Long and Prosper.

That is all.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
I've bought my tickets and I'm going on the 7th. Anything can kill you man. You can walk out of your front door and get run over by a garbage truck. You can walk into work at an office building and a plane could fly into it ten minutes later. You could be eating steak at a fancy restaurant and choke to death on it. Is any of that going to keep you from leaving your house, going to work, or having dinner out? No. And I'm not going to let the swine flu paralyze me with fear so I'm afraid to go to the movies. If you're going to die of the swine flu, you're going to do it whether you see Star Trek or not, so you might as well see it.
While everything you say is literally true, I think you have ignored taking precautions. Do you wear a seatbelt while driving your car? Or do you just say "If I'm going to die in this car there is nothing I can do about it"? Do you smoke and say "If I die of cancer..."? How about staying healthy? There are lots of proven ways people can REDUCE the likelihood of certain diseases and can sway the odds in their favor. Do people rafting on a river wear life jackets? I think being concerned about a large crowd of people when there is an outbreak like this one is valid concern. I agree with you when you said it should NOT stop us from doing the things we want to do, but a little caution and common sense can make a difference. Wearing a mask may be a good idea. I'll wait to see what happens with this outbreak before I decide what I am going to do. I am still hopeful it will fizzle out before becoming to big a problem.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Vice Admiral

thats what we ve been missing,a bullsh@@ flu to panic us
Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
While everything you say is literally true, I think you have ignored taking precautions. Do you wear a seatbelt while driving your car? Or do you just say "If I'm going to die in this car there is nothing I can do about it"? Do you smoke and say "If I die of cancer..."? How about staying healthy? There are lots of proven ways people can REDUCE the likelihood of certain diseases and can sway the odds in their favor. Do people rafting on a river wear life jackets? I think being concerned about a large crowd of people when there is an outbreak like this one is valid concern. I agree with you when you said it should NOT stop us from doing the things we want to do, but a little caution and common sense can make a difference. Wearing a mask may be a good idea. I'll wait to see what happens with this outbreak before I decide what I am going to do. I am still hopeful it will fizzle out before becoming to big a problem.
I'm hopeful that it will fizzle too. Typical that right as summer movie season begins, something like this comes up...ugh.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Fleet Admiral

Of course something like the Spanish flu can happen again ... but until the respective virus really mutates into such a supervirus and only a few people on the world suffer from the bird or swine or whatever flu, I don't give a damn.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I was thinking of posting this question too but figured it would just be like me looking to keep people away from the theaters b/c I hate the movie and all... but it is a serious issue- if people are so spooked by this flu I could see movie theater attendence fall apart this next month.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Vice Admiral

we trekkies are immune to bird or swine flue

Last edited by jtrek79 : 04-27-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Commander

I honestly haven't run into a single person who's running around in a panic like a chicken with it's head chopped off and barricading themselves inside their homes after they've covered the windows in duct tape and plastic.

Mild concern, yes. Enough to keep them from going about their business and dwelling on it? No. I don't want to say that no one cares, but nobody I know cares that much. I sure don't.

Although I did take the precaution of spraying Lysol disinfectant on my phone, keyboard, monitor and CPU power buttons, mouse, office door handle, and the bathrooom door handle. I take public transportation and I touched all of those things, so better safe than sorry. All of that is something that I should be doing on a regular basis anyway just because phones and door handles are filthy even on a good day.

I'm sure turnout will be fine.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pike View Post
Looks like the pandemic is spreading and has reached the states in Texas and New York and is spreading rapidly. People in Mexico City (city looks abandoned) are staying indoors and away from crowds like at churchs, theaters, etc where it can spread by someone coughing or sneezing. I wonder if it will affect the opening weekend of the movie? Will you still go see it if it gets worse? The last time we had a flu pandemic was in 1918 and 60 million died world wide. I hope they find a cure before May 8th.
Seriously.