The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What could be the effects of Abrams Star Trek on the regular universe and fans?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I look forward to your comments
Of course not. Paramount is a business and doing what you suggest would only hurt their profits. You are looking at it as some sinister plot to erase the original Star Trek from existence. Ok not that extreme but you get the idea.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Lieutenant

yeah i have to agree with others here. It makes absolutely no fiscal sense to stop fan productions. And im sorry, stop selling movies and dvd series??? Are you serious?!?! No way in $%*@. They just came out with TOS season 1 on blu-ray! Unless they wanted to take a significant financial loss, they will continue such releases. It really seems like you're just trying to stir the pot honestly.
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission, to explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Ensign

Star Trek has been, and always shall be... Paramount/Viacoms cash cow.

The needs of the one, depends on the needs of many.

Which is why there are so many books and web versions of this franchise. As this new 'look' is accepted and allowed to grow, its just one more avenue, along with what is here, to grow the franchise and give fans of all versions a taste of a vision for the future.

thoughts from a 49 year old fan with 10 TICKETS IN MY HAND.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp View Post
thoughts from a 49 year old fan with 10 TICKETS IN MY HAND.

ETA: I just noticed that I'm a Lieutenant now! Is that a sign to stop posting so darn much? lol
Old 04-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post

ETA: I just noticed that I'm a Lieutenant now! Is that a sign to stop posting so darn much? lol

Congrats... now keep posting to go up in rank...
Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp View Post
Congrats... now keep posting to go up in rank...
I think I can manage that.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Vice Admiral

i have a friend who is gonna watch it at least 12 times
Old 04-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
What I mean here is thus: After this film is out in the public, will Paramount demand that all Fan productions stop? (This includes the excelient USS Exeter fan series, and others like Phase 2) Will they not allow anyone to write any stories that are not based on Abramsprise? Will they demand all television stations not air any star trek that is not lined up to Abramsprise for X number of years? Will they demand Amazon, Barns and nobel etc stop selling star trek fictional manuels and stories not based on Abramsprise? Will they tell Blu Ray and DVD makers to stop transfering Star Trek episodes and movies to DVD/Blu Ray that are not based on Abramsprise?

I think you see what I mean.

I look forward to your comments

Please excuse my spelling errors.
Paramount is a studio, they go where the money is and there is alot of it in TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. It's Paramount's scifi bank, their one true scifi franchise.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Ensign

My experience in fan-based projects is that Paramount's willingness to let them go on over the last 40+ years has kept Trek out there and alive among fans even during the dry spells among the general public. In my years selling fan-based art, the only time ever came up against a studio cease and desist was with Beauty and the Beast-- and look where that is now?! So I think that Paramount has realized it's to their advantage to allow fan-based creative efforts to continue.

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarDreaming View Post
In my years selling fan-based art, the only time ever came up against a studio cease and desist was with Beauty and the Beast-- and look where that is now?! So I think that Paramount has realized it's to their advantage to allow fan-based creative efforts to continue.
Disney, for all of its family image, sure it notorious about anything 'unauthorized'. I remember the case of them going after an elementary school for having a picture of Mickey on a wall. Oh and of course pouring a ton of lobby money on extending copyright laws. Its because of such things that I have to laugh at stuff like the dildo castle tower in the Little Mermaid cover art.