The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Does Star Trek Mean to You?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

"what star trek means to me..." I ****ing love star trek...period. I love it. I can't put it into words how much I enjoy star trek. Not to the point where it's interrupting my life mind you!

Last edited by Captain Sisko : 05-05-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Commander

In all honesty, it really shaped how I view the world because I literally grew up with it from the time I was a toddler. It's ALWAYS been there. I didn't have very many friends at all growing up, so Star Trek was my friend. I could put myself in the wonderful vision of what the future could be and what humanity could achieve. My best friend and I were in the same boat, so as our peers gave us a rough time, we took comfort in the idea that people had the potential to get beyond their petty differences and learn to accept one another. We could be a global community if we just worked at it. It created this love for adventure and encouraged my creativity and it made me want to step out and be bold, live up to my potential and push myself just a little harder.

It spurred my interest in space travel and science and even politics as I've always wanted to make sure I'm part of humanity's forward progress, inching closer and closer to our full potential. I won't see it in my lifetime but I'll take comfort in the fact that I helped in our epic trek (pun intended) towards a better, brighter future.

Thinking about traveling to distant worlds and realizes how small we are here on Earth compared to the cosmos around us helps put things in perspective. It highlights just how petty our arguments with each other can be and makes you realize that you're part of something so much greater than yourself. It doesn't make me feel lonely. Just the opposite, in fact. In makes me feel connected to the universe around me, including every human, plant, and animal living on this little world. Every rock, even. When you look up at the sky, you realize that everything is just stardust and we're all made of the same stuff as the stars that seem so far away, so really they're not so distant and different after all.

And Star Trek is just plain out and out FUN! I love getting wrapped up in it and letting my mind go on a fabulous journey. The best part of it is that I'm not on this trip by myself- I'm going with so many other cool people like all of you guys on this board!

So maybe that's a little cheesy but that's what Star Trek means to me. In some ways it's just a show and there's no point in getting super hung up on the little things. In other ways, that same belief makes it so much more than a show when you think of everything that went into creating this other world and the reasoning behind it: Imagining the fulfillment of all of mankind's hopes and dreams, showing us what our hopes and dreams can be, and giving us a vision of a future that just might be attainable. Well, the whole global community thing, at least. Faster than light travel might be a little harder. LOL But at least one day we'll be able to get out and about in our own solar system, FINALLY.

I consider Gene Roddenberry to one of the most amazing people because of this. Not because he's some super genius who invented the airplane or discovered penicillin or something like that, but because he made me think more deeply, dream bigger, and strive for something better.

ETA: This is an awesome idea for a thread.

Last edited by AyanEva : 05-05-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post

Thinking about traveling to distant worlds and realizes how small we are here on Earth compared to the cosmos around us helps put things in perspective. It highlights just how petty our arguments with each other can be and makes you realize that you're part of something so much greater than yourself. It doesn't make me feel lonely. Just the opposite, in fact. In makes me feel connected to the universe around me, including every human, plant, and animal living on this little world. Every rock, even. When you look up at the sky, you realize that everything is just stardust and we're all made of the same stuff as the stars that seem so far away, so really they're not so distant and different after all.
You're a fan of Carl Sagan too, aren't you.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

A question....

Since long before your sun burned hot in your skies have I awaited a question....

Sorry - I couldn't resist !!

Seriously, Star Trek is an ethic and a movement. It is more than entertainment. The entertainment is the "carrier wave" for the movement - but the movement must continue. All of us believe in a future and an optimism that we will achieve these brilliant things - whether by luck or chance or sheer force of human / vulcan spirit. Because we believe this, we want to invest in making that future happen - but that is too big for any one of us. Thus, we need all of us. We need to keep this movement together. It is important.

Star Trek drifted and sputtered - but now it is back. Not just the entertainment - but the glimmer of the movement as well.

Why is this movie so critical? Because it is the Olympian Torch that we pass to the next generation. All of us who are immersed in middle age need for new generations to get passionate about this movement and to carry on the message. My dearest hope is that the young people today look past the mind-numbing fantasy they are fed minute by minute and get absolutely fired up by the magic of Star Trek. It is the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy - and I hope that people realize the difference. If ever there was a chance for this to happen, it is with this movie - I have been immensely skeptical but I am now surrendering to hope.

What does Star Trek mean to me? That humankind rises above itself to become everything we hope for it - and along the way has great fun with tribbles, Romulans, Klingons, and all the rest.....
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
You're a fan of Carl Sagan too, aren't you.
A bit! LOL My personal heroes are Gene Roddenberry for the reason listed above, Brian Greene for his work on superstring theory, Michio Kaku for his hopeful and thoughtful ponderings of the future, Neil deGrasse Tyson because he makes astronomy fun and I love his humorous attitude, and Stephen Hawking for writing the first book on physics that I ever read. My sister had to read it for a college course and I borrowed it from her. I was about 11 or 12 years old and didn't quite understand half of it but I understood enough of it to spark my interest in physics. I majored in it before I realized I sucked too badly in math to keep up. Then I switched to psychology.

Those are the main ones in terms of science (well, Roddenberry is more like science fiction but close enough). Brian Greene is number one on that list, tied with Gene Roddenberry.

I was a paying member of The Planetary Society but I didn't renew my subscription because I don't agree with their stance on manned spaceflight. They want to concentrate solely on unmanned exploration but I think manned exploration is very important for the continued development of society. Look at everything that came out of the space race!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Midshipman

Star Trek was a means to escape to hopefully something better. This world was and is in chaos and in Star Trek we see the future that could be in spite of all hate and destruction that we have wrought.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dunsel View Post
A question....

Since long before your sun burned hot in your skies have I awaited a question....

Sorry - I couldn't resist !!
Harlan Ellison wants his money from you for the quote... now!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Harlan Ellison wants his money from you for the quote... now!
LOL - I am willing to pay whatever royalties are needed - but as many times as I have used this line in 40 years, it would bust me totally....!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Ensign

Well, I am a fan of sci-fi in general, but for me Trek goes beyond just appealing to my sci-fi interests. I love space, I'm an amateur astronomer. I heavily support space exploration. My dream job would be to work for NASA (even if I was the guy just sweeping the floors, I want to be a part of it). Star Trek for me represents the most logical look into the future of what my be ahead for mankind. As it is our technology is expanding by leaps and bounds, we live in exciting times. We are sending men back to the moon, we are beginning to plan manned missions to Mars! We have discovered incredible things in the universe, possible Earth-like planets orbiting distant stars. The possibilities of what mankind could do in the next couple of centuries...I just wish I could live to see it.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Ensign

Star Trek to me is a glimpse into a possible future,where,as the great bird of the galaxy has said,man has left behind his need for material wealth and has turned his attention to the stars to better himself as well as his fellow man.That is what star trek is at it's core,to me.