The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Does Star Trek Mean to You?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Federation Councillor

TOS and TNG are escapism, fun and entertaining. Sometime making you think, laugh or even tear up a little. DS9 is more serious but still rewarding and the movies run the gamut inbetween. And overall it gives the impression that while humanity will never be perfect or incapable of fallacies, things will generally be better in the long run.

I simply want to be entertained when I watch Trek as it's one of my retreats from the daily grind.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The key word says it all, "Meaning."

It has meaning to most of us in several areas of life.

Shows that we can have a future, like TOS intended.

Family and friends, common interest.

List is endless.

Btw, I think you might like 1st season of Space 1999.

I too would like more science in the world.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Ensign

Thanks for the responses. I'm 33 years old. I will be out of credit card debt come the end of this year. At that time, my life will have it's own little "reboot" being out from under 20,000+ dollars of debt. Of all the things I want to do in life, I decided that mathematics underlys nearly all of them. I have started self studying as of yesterday and have dedicated the rest of this year 2009 to learning math up to at least Calculus III level. I often get bored and cycle from one interest to another, but this year I'm making all about math. If I can master that, coupled with being out of debt, then maybe I can be well on my way to an engineering and computer science degree by the time the sequel of Star Trek rolls around... it's finally here, cheers!
Jason
Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSTForever View Post
Hello Everyone - I've been lurking for a while, and like so many of you can't wait until May 7th. Many of you often discuss this film and how it will relate to existing Canon, and that is great as it helps keep Star Trek sane and on point. But besides that does anyone have a personal connection to Star Trek, maybe personal is not the write word, but maybe emotional?

I like so many grew up on all the various Star Trek TV series. I wanted to be an astronomer, or an engineer and be a part of that adventure. But then the computer bug took hold and I've been programming or testing software ever since, living a quite boring life with not much adventure, more well worn rutts in the road. I've tried to go back to school but well that's had issues. When I see the latest trailer for this film, the visuals, the dialog, the music, man it really hits me.

I really hope that this movie would do much more than entertain, but will inspire millions of youth still in school to get fascinated with science, with enginnering, and enter the ranks and help drive technology of the future towards well Star Trek. I would love to see more people get behind NASA, get behind space exploration, and fill the ranks as scientists and engineers. This movie could not only jumpstart the Star Trek franchise, but could jumpstart science, adventure, and a sense of purpose in youth and older today.

I'm sitting here tonight watching that trailer over and over again, as I try and come up with a schedule to get back to school myself, and become one of those engineers. At the beginning where he says "You're father was captain for 12 minutes" or something then he says "dare you to do better"... that line and if you remember in the recent Transformers movie where they make the choice to get in the car [or not too... adventure or not] and that awesome song by Goo Goo Dolls about taking that leap... those lines really get to me and so much meaning I think to the human spirit and to each of us. We make our lives, sure we have factors of our surroundings that affect our choices, but in the end it's up to us. It's almost a call to action, a call to step up and take control of your life and make the best of it... or to not and just live your life essentially on auto-pilot... hopefully I'll be switching off my auto-pilot soon... well, that's what Star Trek means to me... Anyone else care to share?
It means better to me.
It means discovery.
It's a message...to go and discover.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Vice Admiral

It means that no matter how badly we humans screw things up, we finally arrive at a better place, where our dignity, justice and wisdom are allowed to override our fear, anger, and aggression.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Since my earliest years of childhood, Star Trek has represented a world of hope, of dreams and accomplishments, where everything is not so down and low as it is in our real world. It represents the possibility that we as humans are achieving a minimum level of existence, and it shows us what we are capable of achieving if we try just a little harder. Best of all, it serves as a personal escape for me, a very personal place where I can go to and hide and heal when the real world deals me a tough blow. In fact, Star Trek is the single reason I managed to survive my teenage years, and without it, I literally would not be here today. I owe the legacy that is Star Trek so much in return for that.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Captain

Lots of fun and the source of one of my childhood nicknames!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Ensign

What it means to is the hope of a better tomorrow. Were all mankind can come together under a common goal.

"James T. Kirk was considered to be a great man, who went on to captain the USS Enterprise... but that was another life. A life I will deprive you of just like I did your father!"
- Nero
Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Commander

Star Trek is a collection of tv shows and movies that I like.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Star Trek gave me my interest in aerospace and flight and now I have a privet pilot's license and and studying to be a mechanical engineer with an emphasis in aerospace design. (My Dad helped me along too) So it's helped me realize my dreams.
I hope your stepson doesn't eat the fish
There's something wrong with me
There's nothing wrong with you
Don't eat the fish
-
System of a Down