The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Section 31
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

As an example in the TNG episode "A matter of honor" when Riker is speaking to the Klingon about his father and how he should talk to him even though he is dishonored, the Klingon says that he would not know how. But their was a sadness in his response, which differs from that ideology of the Klingons. It's one of the TNG episodes that stick out in my mind because of that, that Klingon while a member of that society and a man that follows those norms, may not think that way in his heart. A subtle scene, but a very good one.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

And also when it comes to section 31, in all their story lines their way of thinking is rejected, by Bashir, by Sisko and by Reed. Everytime the main characters, the ones that hold the Federation ideals as they are presented, reject 31.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Ensign

I don't see anything wrong with the writers creating such an organization as Section 31. There will always be people who think they know what is best and will act on those ideas. So why should the inhabitants of the future do otherwise?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
And also when it comes to section 31, in all their story lines their way of thinking is rejected, by Bashir, by Sisko and by Reed. Everytime the main characters, the ones that hold the Federation ideals as they are presented, reject 31.

Yet when Sisko in another episode went out of his way to get the Romulans into the war...he violated a lot of the priciples he held dear as well.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
Do you think it was a mistake for the writers to come up with the Section 31 idea?
Definitely not. Section 31 was a brilliant piece of storytelling.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
Definitely not. Section 31 was a brilliant piece of storytelling.
Its been awhile but for something that was used quite a few times, for some reason the issue with them just seems unfinished or left hanging. Maybe it was supposed to be that way.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Its been awhile but for something that was used quite a few times, for some reason the issue with them just seems unfinished or left hanging. Maybe it was supposed to be that way.
Yes. It's better that way. Section 31 is not the kind of thing that is / was / ever should be meant to be revealed or resolved entirely.

Although it is a shame that the writers etc dreamt it up so late -- as it only gave them time for three episodes on what would still have made a very interesting broader arc.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 AM
Midshipman

I think section 31 was a great idea and all of the episodes they featured in were very exciting.

It seems to me though that the writers have been progressively shifting towards showing us a darker starfleet, becoming further and further adrift from the innocent peaceloving characters we saw in the earlier next generation episodes.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Scottie_ View Post
It seems to me though that the writers have been progressively shifting towards showing us a darker starfleet, becoming further and further adrift from the innocent peaceloving characters we saw in the earlier next generation episodes.
The more we know about the Trek universe the less ambiguous things are. Decisions are always made with an eye towards whats around you. Self-interest also includes consideration of what the possible reactions of others will be. It's been raised many times but what should starfleet be like when the feds are pretty much surrounded by powerful enemies?

At first there were the Klingons. Bad guys but managable. It was the same with TNG for awhile until the Romulans came back. Then add another neighboring militaristic power (I dont include Borg because they were from the outside). The universe gets less and less ambiguous and looks more and more to be a dangerous place.

I wouldnt call it darker, just more pragmatic.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Lieutenant

I think the Section 31 eps, and DS9 in general, were a nice slice of exposition and a reality check for Roddenberry's vision. The absurdity of the utopian future was always running just beneath the surface. We all knew half the crew was sleeping around wih each other on TNG.

Look, you put enough future humans in glitter-accented full body aerobics attire and something's going to go down after they leave the recreation deck, if you know what I mean,