The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Section 31
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedestroymyths View Post
First off, the above quote is kind of absurd. I have no idea how Section 31 betrays DS9's "lack of intelligence."
Profusely implicit wedestroymyths and lacking in explicity.

Quote:
Second, Section 31 kind of worked for me (not entirely, because they were never committed to) because Star Fleet didn't really even know about them. They were created so long ago, and left to function as a shadow to the point that for all practical purposes, they didn't really exist. This made it work for me to a point because it certainly added a darker edge to Star Fleet without undermining their credibility entirely. I'd say this was a pretty excellent strategy to allow the show runners to have their cake and eat it too.
Star Fleet knew of them.
It completely undermined that credibility. The Founders were justified. "Your cake and Eating it to" is engineered contrivances to make the plot go wehere the writers wish to. In reality a race that you have just attempted genicide on would return to destroy you.

Completely unrealitistic but DS9 wasn't concerned with the "Details" of being realistic just with pretense. It was a facade. Some it fooled but not me. I liked the show but the Dominion War was a down turn for me.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Suzie Plakson was great!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

And she did Great as Q.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Star Fleet knew of them.
It completely undermined that credibility. The Founders were justified. "Your cake and Eating it to" is engineered contrivances to make the plot go wehere the writers wish to. In reality a race that you have just attempted genicide on would return to destroy you.

Completely unrealitistic but DS9 wasn't concerned with the "Details" of being realistic just with pretense. It was a facade. Some it fooled but not me. I liked the show but the Dominion War was a down turn for me.
First, where do you get that Star Fleet really knew about them. Being vaguely away of them is one thing, being actually involved with them and in communication with them is another.

The rest of your first paragraph makes no sense at all. I'm curious though as to what 'realistic' details DS9 used as pretense and nothing else--especially considering that can describe most of Trek: the pretense of realism, but we all know most of what occurs in Trek will never happen.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Rear Admiral

They covered your question of "how did star fleet know about section 31" in a couple of the episodes.

Section 31 is military in origin, as is Star Fleet.
Section 31 was created before Star Fleet. It is possible that Section 31 created Star Fleet.

All forms of government have things we know nothing about, but they are there.

Hell, I did not care much for DS9, but even I was able to catch on to the Section 31 stories. They were fun spy episodes, and really were not meant to be much more than that.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

The Nums is right.

Several episodes (as Kevin pointed out in another thread) had Star Fleet take certain measures to stop Section 31 from being exposed. They were involved in Odo's infection at Star Fleet headquarters.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Ensign

Section 31 has finally brought the Federation of it's moral high horse. Every great power has a unit like Section 31: TalShair, Obsidian Order, Imperail Intelligence. Section 31 is a NEEDED tool for the Federations survival and should not be explored in anymore detail because half of it's appeal is thre fact it is unknown.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Ensign

Didn't they reference Section 31 in a couple of episodes on Enterprize? The weapons officer was hooked up with them.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

I still go by what I said before in this thread, Star Trek has a tendency to make it's organizations and cultures very much mono-ideological. The Klingons are warriors, the Federation is utopian and what have you. The section 31 storylines add to the greatness of what is the Federation in my mind. Even though there is this sub-culture within the Federation, they still hold to their ideals. Virtue untested isn't a virtue, and their is no such thing as a society with one way of thought.