The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Section 31
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Lieutenant

Default Section 31

Do you think it was a mistake for the writers to come up with the Section 31 idea? It kind of realifies Starfleet and the Federation, it makes us seem for normal. It cracked a boarder that Star Trek had been maitaining for about 40 years... It really did change ST for both good and bad.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm just fresh out of a thread that very heavily featured the section 31 question. Not wanting to be drawn massively back in, I'll only state that whether one agrees with their purpose or intent, their basic existence did not surprise me.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Vice Admiral

The idea is ok since there are always such organizations. But I dont remember it being very interesting. Just soft of an "ooo mysterious" type feel or plot addition and not quite nefarious enough.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes

I don't know about you, but all three Section 31 stories in DS9 felt pretty wicked and shocking to me and it became worse from episode to episode. First we learn that there is a rogue organization, than we learn that they have infiltrated the Romulans and then we learn that they plan a genocide.

But if you can imagine something more terrifying, please point it out.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Federation Councillor

The Federation President was a surgically altered Sela?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
But if you can imagine something more terrifying, please point it out.
It's been awhile so to be fair no I dont remember the specifics. But I guess I can just say that they werent memorable enough in the grand scheme of things. Its not the idea of who they were or what they did but the execution. I remember much clearer for example, the single episode with the Defiant class ship with the cadet crew whereas I dont remember much about any of the section 31 episodes. Their role was potentially much much bigger but... well I have to go back and wiki them or something.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
The idea is ok since there are always such organizations. But I dont remember it being very interesting. Just soft of an "ooo mysterious" type feel or plot addition and not quite nefarious enough.
The idea of Section 31 was a good idea.
I was profoundly poor in it's execution. You're correct it changed Star Fleet and the Federation by undermining the concept that alliances and mutal cooperation are the method for sucess. It was made worse that they didn't remain secret. So they're not supersecret.

It could have been so much better.
But this is what I meant that DS9 lack intelligence because it was too focused on drama, so even when it tried to be smart, it failed.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It could have been so much better.
But this is what I meant that DS9 lack intelligence because it was too focused on drama, so even when it tried to be smart, it failed.
First off, the above quote is kind of absurd. I have no idea how Section 31 betrays DS9's "lack of intelligence."

Second, Section 31 kind of worked for me (not entirely, because they were never committed to) because Star Fleet didn't really even know about them. They were created so long ago, and left to function as a shadow to the point that for all practical purposes, they didn't really exist. This made it work for me to a point because it certainly added a darker edge to Star Fleet without undermining their credibility entirely. I'd say this was a pretty excellent strategy to allow the show runners to have their cake and eat it too.

That being said, I'd have liked to see the show commit a little more fully to exploring Section 31. A bit more development would have been great.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Federation Councillor

I think the creation of Section 31 was part of the experiment to see in how dark a direction they could push DS9 away from the Roddenberry vision.

Maybe it failed for some, not for others. But I think it worked within DS9's darker Trek tone.

courtesy of Saquist