The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Star Trek ever shake the 'only for nerds' stigma?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Ensign

Hockey and trek are both bigger in canada than in the US. Coincidence? I think not

Old 09-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Trek is bigger in Canada than the US? I didn't know that.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 09-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Ensign

used to always get higher ratings in the tng years here. Havn't heard much since then. I is definitly on the cover of tv quide more often though. Back when you actually bought one at the store I mean

Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Admiral

wissaboo thats interesting are you from Canada?
If I had to guess I was going to say Wissconsin.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Looks like all is fine here....
Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Federation Councillor

It wasn't recycling but if i recall some of my behind the scenes reading from past years it was more like - say Diana Muldaur - that Gene Roddenberry and others thought she was a very good actress and wanted to use her. But there were, If I recall, time limits placed on how often an actor could appear as two different characters on the same TV show. So as soon as an actor they liked could appear again they did. I don't know if that is still the case.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Lieutenant

* Will Star Trek ever shake the 'only for nerds' stigma? *

There is no stigma, unless you think there is then it is in your mind alone and you need to seek help. It's really silly to me that some of you people think that others see ALL Trek Fans as "Nerdy". Maybe in the 1970's when there was only one show in re-runs but after all these years and all the series on TV in sindication, just about everyone catches an episode here and there. Don't you think "Friends" fans are more off than Trek fans? Or "Seinfield" Fanatics? When I lived in Hawaii I hung with some pro surfers, their must see TV show was "MacGyver" because it was on EVERY day at dusk when they were all coming in from the beach.

With all the movies out there that are based on Comic Books, Video Games & Toys is Star Trek still really a Nerds only franchise. To think so you're putting yourself in a minority that does not exsist plus you're calling us other fans Nerds and most of us still got to play sports in HS, beat the crap out of each other and have sex when we went on dates. Shatner Said "Get a Life" over 20+ years ago, He needs to go back on SNL and say "Get Over It" so some people will stop dragging around their Stigma Cross, it's boring and anoying.

Star Wars will never be seen as nerdy, it's family fare ..... it's the New Wizard of OZ. The original trilogy appealed to kids, Lucas noted that after selling a boat load of merchandise and he geared the prequel trilogy to cater more to the 10 year old crowd. The Idiots that were up in arms over Jar Jar didn't get that 10 year olds loved that goof and the New SW (Like New Coke) was for a different audience.

Vulcan Smiley by DNA-1842
Old 01-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianrosey View Post
I'll try to explain this again: I get the "paradigm", heck I even mentioned those actors by name and more... I've said before that I think recycling actors to pay tribute to the original series - which had no budget and had no choice but to recycle some actors - is cheap, hokey, and after a while, annoying. Every actor was a Trek neophyte until they shot their first episode, even the regulars, so just cast new talent for roles that aren't recurring and do your best to pick good actors, just like they did when they hired the main cast members.
Seeing the same actors in different roles on a TV series has never bothered me. My suspension of disbelief only requires a good performance. It's not so different from watching Harrison Ford play Han Solo, Indiana Jones, and Jack Ryan. Different movies or different episodes of a TV series, it's all the same to me. And it's not as if they never cast any new talent. Plenty of actors were given opportunities on TNG early in their careers: Famke Janssen, who went on to play Jean Grey in the X-Men movies; Bill Campbell, who went on to play the title character in The Rocketeer and had a recurring role on The 4400; and Mädchen Amick, who, although less well known, is still working nearly twenty years after appearing on TNG. None of those actors appeared more than once on TNG, and none appeared on any other Star Trek series.

Last edited by Captain Tightpants : 01-04-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: OCD.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybock View Post
* Will Star Trek ever shake the 'only for nerds' stigma? *

There is no stigma, unless you think there is then it is in your mind alone and you need to seek help. It's really silly to me that some of you people think that others see ALL Trek Fans as "Nerdy". Maybe in the 1970's when there was only one show in re-runs but after all these years and all the series on TV in sindication, just about everyone catches an episode here and there. Don't you think "Friends" fans are more off than Trek fans? Or "Seinfield" Fanatics? When I lived in Hawaii I hung with some pro surfers, their must see TV show was "MacGyver" because it was on EVERY day at dusk when they were all coming in from the beach.

With all the movies out there that are based on Comic Books, Video Games & Toys is Star Trek still really a Nerds only franchise. To think so you're putting yourself in a minority that does not exsist plus you're calling us other fans Nerds and most of us still got to play sports in HS, beat the crap out of each other and have sex when we went on dates. Shatner Said "Get a Life" over 20+ years ago, He needs to go back on SNL and say "Get Over It" so some people will stop dragging around their Stigma Cross, it's boring and anoying.

Star Wars will never be seen as nerdy, it's family fare ..... it's the New Wizard of OZ. The original trilogy appealed to kids, Lucas noted that after selling a boat load of merchandise and he geared the prequel trilogy to cater more to the 10 year old crowd. The Idiots that were up in arms over Jar Jar didn't get that 10 year olds loved that goof and the New SW (Like New Coke) was for a different audience.
I was with ya all the way up until the New Coke analogy. New Coke...? Does anyone really even drink that (rhetorical)? Talk about the marketing blunder of the eon. But, they did know to go back to their proven formula.

deg

http://deg3D.biz
Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Not when there are people showing up to Majel Barrett-Roddenberry's funeral wearing starfleet uniforms.