The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Star Trek ever shake the 'only for nerds' stigma?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 06-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Chucky D's Avatar
Chucky D Chucky D is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in hiding from the Men in Black
Posts: 498
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I am also a fan of Star Wars. I had many toys when I was kid. I have always wanted to be a Jedi. I just don't have anything right now that makes me much of a Star Wars fan. I have never read a Star Wars book, although I may start someday. Star Wars and Trek live well together in my household.
Until 1999 I was a huge fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek. Even though I loved Star Wars as a kid, as an adult, I really wanted the prequels to deliver. However, the prequels were a HUGE disappointment and, to me, that franchise has hit the end of the road with nowhere to go (I don't believe adult audiences have much to gain from the new animated feature).

I have no problem with anyone who loves Star Wars. I just found in the end that Star Trek is far more thought provoking and multi-dimensioned than Wars.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 06-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Jed Starkiller's Avatar
Jed Starkiller Jed Starkiller is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,515
Default

Star Wars and Star Trek both has such expansive universes that the movies and or series just scratch the surface of. Which is why I like them both.
__________________
"VOTE ZARDOZ/MENHEIM IN 2012"
Vice Floating God Head
Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky D View Post
Until 1999 I was a huge fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek. Even though I loved Star Wars as a kid, as an adult, I really wanted the prequels to deliver. However, the prequels were a HUGE disappointment and, to me, that franchise has hit the end of the road with nowhere to go (I don't believe adult audiences have much to gain from the new animated feature).

I have no problem with anyone who loves Star Wars. I just found in the end that Star Trek is far more thought provoking and multi-dimensioned than Wars.
Can't argue with you there.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 06-20-2008, 07:31 AM
DrTaylor's Avatar
DrTaylor DrTaylor is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 105
Default

Yeah, but no one's gonna take that seriously.

On a related note - where is this that you have advertising in your grocery store checkout and why do I not have it to make fun of?
__________________
http://www.startrekdom.blogspot.com

Everybody remember where we parked!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 06-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTaylor View Post
Yeah, but no one's gonna take that seriously.

On a related note - where is this that you have advertising in your grocery store checkout and why do I not have it to make fun of?
Don't understand....
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Elizadolots's Avatar
Elizadolots Elizadolots is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTaylor View Post
Yeah, but no one's gonna take that seriously.

On a related note - where is this that you have advertising in your grocery store checkout and why do I not have it to make fun of?

Just about all the major chains here (San Diego, California) have this...it's a little LCD monitor aimed at the people in the checkout line and it sometimes has tips on ways to use stuff that just happens to be on sale now (which, I guess you feel bad about not having purchased since by the time you see it, your food is loaded on the belt and the person behind you is starting to unload his basket), sometimes it's advertising for completely unrelated stuff, sometimes it's bits from TV shows (Leno's monologue has been on a lot) with little ads surrounding it.

You should really talk to your store manager because making fun of it is loads more entertaining that making fun of the tabloid magazines that are your only other option in line.
__________________


Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Just about all the major chains here (San Diego, California) have this...it's a little LCD monitor aimed at the people in the checkout line and it sometimes has tips on ways to use stuff that just happens to be on sale now (which, I guess you feel bad about not having purchased since by the time you see it, your food is loaded on the belt and the person behind you is starting to unload his basket), sometimes it's advertising for completely unrelated stuff, sometimes it's bits from TV shows (Leno's monologue has been on a lot) with little ads surrounding it.

You should really talk to your store manager because making fun of it is loads more entertaining that making fun of the tabloid magazines that are your only other option in line.
Wow never seen it before....
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Elizadolots's Avatar
Elizadolots Elizadolots is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,466
Default

Check Out TV.
Quote:
Checkout TV™ is exciting new TV programming found only in checkout lanes at premier grocery stores across the nation. Watch while you wait, and gain fun and useful tips and information in areas that are important to YOU: Your Home, Your Family, Your Self, and Your Fun.

Get easy-to-make dinner ideas, do-it-yourself info, household hints, interior design, great activities for yourself and your family, health and beauty tips, celebrity updates, entertainment news, and much, much more.

Checkout TV provides information to make your life more simple and more fun. Checkout TV is In Line with Your Life.
__________________


Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Neat...maybe we'll get it?
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 06-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Elizadolots's Avatar
Elizadolots Elizadolots is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,466
Default

I think they overstate how "neat" it is....it's more like those commercials that run during online streaming video at ABC.com and FOXonDemand....
__________________


Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.