The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > SPOILER: Saw the new movie.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Ensign

I know I should really wait until I see the film, but one thing I don't understand is if Nero sets out to destroy Earth and Vulcan, then who destroys Romulus? Not Nero??
Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Captain

I am under the impressioned that Nero is captured at some point as well, but what happens to his ship? Does it get impounded and sit in a towing lot for the thirty years between the Kelvin incident and cadets storyline?

I don't know if he is waiting for Spock...how does he know Spock was pulled in? Or that his ship survived? He could be waiting around for an awfully long time if Spock had somehow escaped or was killed!

In Countdown there is a little scene where Nero reads up on Kirk...figured it has to play into the movie somehow....

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart hammal View Post
I know I should really wait until I see the film, but one thing I don't understand is if Nero sets out to destroy Earth and Vulcan, then who destroys Romulus? Not Nero??
According to the Countdown series, a star near Romulus goes nova (simplified version). The Vulcan have a means to stopping it, but choose not to help. When Romulus is destroyed, Nero blames the Vulcans and the Federation for their unwillingness to help (although Spock & Picard did try to convince the Vulcan Council).

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan View Post
tell me Isaiamac. Nero does become more upsesced with kirk doesn't he?
No ... *sigh* I'm trying this with this spoiler tag, in case ... oh I so dearly want to discuss this in the open with fellow fans - when will it be May that we can debate these things? *sigh*

beware
Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Captain

You can discuss it in the open, at least here. The thread title tells EXACTLY what is going on here!

I will probably be ducking out though....while I like spoilers, I don't want to see word for word what happens. I'll be sure to catch up with you in a couple of weeks!

You guys who have seen it keep talking away....spoiler tag free!!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Lieutenant

I, on the other hand, delight in spoilers; the more detailed the better, and they don't spoil my viewing of a show. Please feel free to discuss as much as you like.

Anyone who doesn't want to see what is said may like to go no further.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart hammal View Post

STAR TREK COUNTDOWN COMIC. your answer about romulus is in that comic book sir.

"I was out saving the galaxy when your grandfather was in diapers. Besides the galaxy owes me one" Captain James T. Kirk 2371
Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef* View Post
No ... *sigh* I'm trying this with this spoiler tag, in case ... oh I so dearly want to discuss this in the open with fellow fans - when will it be May that we can debate these things? *sigh*

beware
thanks for the info. i always thought nero was after kirk because he is a friend of spock. (before nero goes psycho)

"I was out saving the galaxy when your grandfather was in diapers. Besides the galaxy owes me one" Captain James T. Kirk 2371
Old 04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
According to the Countdown series, a star near Romulus goes nova (simplified version). The Vulcan have a means to stopping it, but choose not to help. When Romulus is destroyed, Nero blames the Vulcans and the Federation for their unwillingness to help (although Spock & Picard did try to convince the Vulcan Council).
Sorry, I don't think that's accurate, if I recall correctly (I don't have the books in front of me). Romulus is gone because no one took Spock's calculations on the nova seriously. Spock was developing the red matter solution, but the star blew up before he could arrive in time to save Romulus.

Countdown event:

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

what really happened is that the star went supernova far ahead of there calculations.