The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > First Impressions of a Star Trek Virgin
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

In regard to the review, it certainly gives me hope that non-fans might actually give the film a chance. I really hope that this movies breaks the mold!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I have read a lot of the so-called positive reviews of the er Film. I sit back and I wonder. Did these critics see the same movie I did???
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with some brands of today making it to the 23rd century, it's just surprising they would have the same name!
Why? This is Guinness' 250th anniversary, with the same name, brewed in the same place. With its 9000 year lease on the property, I daresay it will still be around in 2264.

Guinness will probably own Anheuser-Busch by that time.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I have read a lot of the so-called positive reviews of the er Film. I sit back and I wonder. Did these critics see the same movie I did???
I would say that most of those reviewers weren't so worried about canon and such...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Sure. I read some reviews that said Pulp Fiction wasnt that good yet it's one of my favorites. Most people I know liked the movie but some didnt. Its all personal preference. I also have a relative who thinks Saving Private Ryan is highly overrated but I disagree. To each his own and I certainly wouldnt say there was something wrong with his likes and dislikes. Just different than mine. Oh... we do agree on Pulp Fiction howver.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Vice Admiral

bottom line is...the movie has already won the critics,something a star trek movie's never before accomplised at this level,i know it has won me over and a large percentage of this forum
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
I wonder if this movie is going to show the use of currency on Earth. I have a feeling it will, like in the bar scene. I think trying to explain that humans have evolved beyond the need for money is something JJ would NOT want to force down the general movie goer's throat. I say this because having "brands" in the 23rd century wouldn't make much sense without some form of buying and selling.
I miss the BOLDness of Star Trek that would show us a future that is completely different than the one we're living in now.

I think highlighting the fact that we may not be capitalist in the future would be provocative and welcomed and totally in the spirit of Star Trek if it was brought up considering how controversial the economy is today.

The nonexistence of money is only brought up in one movie, First Contact, and that was the last I heard of it since then.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
I miss the BOLDness of Star Trek that would show us a future that is completely different than the one we're living in now.

I think highlighting the fact that we may not be capitalist in the future would be provocative and welcomed and totally in the spirit of Star Trek if it was brought up considering how controversial the economy is today.

The nonexistence of money is only brought up in one movie, First Contact, and that was the last I heard of it since then.
Not quite accurate...the subject of money was brought up in ST:IV,when Gillian had to pay for her dinner with Kirk.

Gillian: "Let me guess...You don't have money in the 23rd century."
Kirk: "Well we don't."
Old 04-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Stick THAT in your canon thingie and fire it. (j/k)

Old 04-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with some brands of today making it to the 23rd century, it's just surprising they would have the same name!
Hey, I just bought some new jeans from HBC, and that company's 339 years old!