The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > First Impressions of a Star Trek Virgin
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default First Impressions of a Star Trek Virgin

No spoilers in quoted segments below (but minor spoilers in linked full review).

"...my assignment: to see if it was possible for someone completely new to the "Star Trek" universe to understand, process, and more importantly enjoy this new film."

"Here's my background. I had never seen any of the prior "Star Trek" films or television series. I knew little more than the fact that it's all about a bunch of people flying a spaceship called the Enterprise, that Leonard Nimoy played an extraterrestrial named Spock who had funny ears and liked to say "Live long and prosper," and that the Klingon language has such a rabid following that the Bible has been translated into it..."

"So here is my verdict: This movie is awesome."

"The new "Star Trek" film is less an homage to a legendary science fiction franchise than to storytelling in general, back through decades of cinema and television and beyond. A deep respect for literature, pop culture, and epic storytelling is something that Abrams has proven time and again to fans, from the litany of film-rooted "Sawyer nicknames" on "Lost" to the tradition of Japanese monster movies that powered last year's "Cloverfield." This is a movie that will probably be well-regarded by anyone with an appreciation for epic adventure and drama, not to mention fast-paced and often witty dialogue..."

"But more importantly, "Star Trek" is just plain fun. And I came to appreciate the fact that I was sitting in that theater without prejudice. I was concerned less about whether the cast would live up to the actors who originated their roles, and more about holy whoa, that spaceship just blew up!. There is, however, a flip side to the universality of the new "Star Trek" that Paramount might not love: The fact that it stands so well on its own might mean that it doesn't mint a new generation of Trekkies."

Entire review at http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-10...orsPicksArea.0
Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Ensign

I'm not sure why a company like Nokia would still exisit on 23rd Century earth, unless they invented subspace radio!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart hammal View Post
I'm not sure why a company like Nokia would still exisit on 23rd Century earth, unless they invented subspace radio!
Like Scotty said in ST:IV "How do you know he didn't invent the thing?" Yet the part I am more concerned about is that Budweiser (Redneck Champagne) makes it to the 23rd Century...I thought we were going to evolve into a "civilized" society. Why can't We have Guiness or nice IPA? Yes I know I am a beer snob.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think the most interesting line comes from the rest of the review at CNET -

"Pretty early on, you can tell that this isn't the "Star Trek" of the '60s"
Old 04-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Vice Admiral

I don't see anything wrong with some brands of today making it to the 23rd century, it's just surprising they would have the same name!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with some brands of today making it to the 23rd century, it's just surprising they would have the same name!
"Mr. Sulu, set course for Delta Delta, we need to pick up some supplies from the WalMart."
Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Midshipman

For me as a fan of Star Trek who has seen a ton of the older stuff, if this movie changes things up, I don't mind. I am hoping non-fans give it a look and then a new generation of Star Trek can begin. Or to put it better a new generation of fans. I love the older Star Trek movies, like Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but with that if knew fans such as yourself go to see it and enjoy it that's great. Things have to change. James Bond did it. Batman did it.
To hear that a new fan such as yourself enjoyed the movie, that gives me high hopes for the movie.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Vice Admiral

I wonder if this movie is going to show the use of currency on Earth. I have a feeling it will, like in the bar scene. I think trying to explain that humans have evolved beyond the need for money is something JJ would NOT want to force down the general movie goer's throat. I say this because having "brands" in the 23rd century wouldn't make much sense without some form of buying and selling.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Commander

I'm hoping Yuengling and Dogfish Head make it to the 23rd Century! Much better beer. Or maybe the Budweiser recipe gets better in the future, now that it's owned by a German company.

ETA: And what I really meant to say in this post before I got sidetracked is yay that a non-Trekkie/Trekker/Star Trek fan loved the movie!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I wonder if this movie is going to show the use of currency on Earth. I have a feeling it will, like in the bar scene. I think trying to explain that humans have evolved beyond the need for money is something JJ would NOT want to force down the general movie goer's throat. I say this because having "brands" in the 23rd century wouldn't make much sense without some form of buying and selling.
True...and, even then, TOS had some issue with the whole "need of money" thing. Starfleet had supposedly invested 122,200 credits in Spock's training as an officer and Uhura offers to buy a tribble for ten credits.

I guess the use of some kind of currency (or reference to credits) wouldn't be unexpected, now that I think about it.