The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI vs. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan View Post
yup it's stated in STAR TREK: LEGACY. but you got to wonder, that ship in the middle of the cloud might and i'm saying MIGHT have been a 23rd century borg ship. interesting isn't it!
I suppose...to some...

I personally don't lean to that theory, so I don't find it as interesting, but I completely understand why you do and respect that.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
I suppose...to some...

I personally don't lean to that theory, so I don't find it as interesting, but I completely understand why you do and respect that.

Thank you sir.

"I was out saving the galaxy when your grandfather was in diapers. Besides the galaxy owes me one" Captain James T. Kirk 2371
Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
...in theory.
Sure. Most everything in Star Trek is theory... including the bruhaha about time travel.

IIRC Voyager found a machine planet where it was changed, the ship built, and then sent on its way. Maybe pre-borg, maybe not. Maybe at the time these pre-borg were not so ruthless. Maybe. One thing however is that Vger was much more powerful than the borg ever were. At least those we have seen. So I suppose either they created something much more powerful than themselves but did not add it to their own. Or they were that powerful back then as well but something bad happened. Maybe at the time they were %100 machine but after this big catastrophe needed to integrate people to survive.

This is the kind of stuff that stories are made of. And with a good writer maybe interesting ones.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Sure. Most everything in Star Trek is theory... including the bruhaha about time travel.

IIRC Voyager found a machine planet where it was changed, the ship built, and then sent on its way. Maybe pre-borg, maybe not. Maybe at the time these pre-borg were not so ruthless. Maybe. One thing however is that Vger was much more powerful than the borg ever were. At least those we have seen. So I suppose either they created something much more powerful than themselves but did not add it to their own. Or they were that powerful back then as well but something bad happened. Maybe at the time they were %100 machine but after this big catastrophe needed to integrate people to survive.

This is the kind of stuff that stories are made of. And with a good writer maybe interesting ones.
...and V'ger being created with Borg influence doesn't interest me.

That "theory" isn't nearly as interesting to me as a race that has nothing to do with the Borg at all. The story that could be made of that could really be something.

The Borg have been overdone.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Midshipman

From watching the trailers a dozen times and reading the reviews on IMDB, I am tempted to think that this will be the best Trek movie of them all. The action looks intense, the new actors are great, and the space battles look epic. I just hope the dialogue is clever and the storyline is sensible (to me).
Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
...and V'ger being created with Borg influence doesn't interest me.

That "theory" isn't nearly as interesting to me as a race that has nothing to do with the Borg at all. The story that could be made of that could really be something.

The Borg have been overdone.
So have the Klingons. Except that Klingons know how to act instead of just saying "resistance is futile" every 5 minutes... so point taken. Machines dont make good actors unless humanized like Arnold.

In the grand scheme of things it doesnt matter about anything borg. Just that they came from this advanced machine race. Besides, wouldnt it be an interesting idea if somehow the feds did something to cause their destruction and the borg were the result? Consequences theme and all that good stuff.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Roth View Post
Even when we see the new film, I still believe it will be hard to compare to WOK.

Eric Bana is no Ricardo Montalban and Nero (from what we've seen and heard/read) is no Khan.
Nor is Nero a pre-sold character from a classic TV episode that fans have gotten to know in four decades of reruns. Important difference to consider when attempting to compare the two characters (or actors) side-by-side.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
My bet is on Thor's hammer.
By Grabthar's Hammer... you shall be avenged!!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
By Grabthar's Hammer... you shall be avenged!!
That's a good one...Never woulda thunk of dat one.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Capt. Kirk Fan View Post
Black Hole Sir.
Oh yeah, forgot about that line in TMP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
Did it say that it emerged in the Delta Quadrnat? My gosh!!! V'ger HAD to of encountered the Borg!!! That is so interesting! Wouldn't that make ST TMP much more interesting? To just watch it with that thought in mind? But if you watch it, be sure to watch the Directors Cut. I think Robert Wises cut made it an entirely different movie! 100% better than it was when it was released!
No kidding! The added views of the V'ger ship really helped to flush out the geography of what was going on there at the end and also gave the end of the movie the WOW FACTOR it needed with the ship and all.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 04-23-2009 at 01:10 PM.